• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha production issues?

Sorry for the cross post, assumed those expecting 2022's would like the data:

Going back to the original reddit screencap, that doesn't appear to be current information. It says, "the Texas freeze a couple months ago really hurt us"...the Texas freeze was in February, meaning the post was from April-ish. Several of the other stuff mentioned in the post (resin issues, fiberglass issues, motors not arriving, boats sitting on the lot waiting on parts) are also items that were known to be an issue back in the Spring. I think it's old information and the problems they were having then are what led to several boats being canceled at the end of last model year. I'm not saying everything's running perfectly at the factory now (I have no idea), I'm just saying don't assume that reddit post details the current state of affairs at the factory.

Going back to the original reddit screencap, that doesn't appear to be current information. It says, "the Texas freeze a couple months ago really hurt us"...the Texas freeze was in February, meaning the post was from April-ish. Several of the other stuff mentioned in the post (resin issues, fiberglass issues, motors not arriving, boats sitting on the lot waiting on parts) are also items that were known to be an issue back in the Spring. I think it's old information and the problems they were having then are what led to several boats being canceled at the end of last model year. I'm not saying everything's running perfectly at the factory now (I have no idea), I'm just saying don't assume that reddit post details the current state of affairs at the factory.
I thought the same thing, old news but there is still issues with all manufacturers needing certain parts and electronic items

I should sell my boat and jeep then join a pickleball league to keep busy. I make me laugh. Everyone says, "wow you have a 10 year old Jeep with only 28,000 miles" . What they don't know is they are some very hard miles . People still want to give me a few thousand less than I paid for it new 10 years ago. These markets are crazy.

I never have time to drive my Jeep, 2010 JKU, only 33,000 miles, and still with the factory tires....!!!
Which is partly why I don't drive it, tires are on my list.

Used boat prices around here a coming down as well as more boats going up for sale. New boats that are being ordered are seeing more realistic fees from the two Yamaha Dealers in the area.

I agree. I can tell you my searches and conversations that the amount of 1,2 or 3 year old Yamaha boats is starting to build up. Also they are staying available without sale as I check back in on them. I have many willing to adjust asking price. Also sooo many of them have less then 100 hours with most under 50 hours. Several with 20 or less. Winter is ahead and there will be more up for the offering.

Here is what I think is going on. Pandemic money flowed to the consumer. Consumer wants things to do with the family because they have time at home and money. Hey, lets get a bicycle, or a gun, maybe a boat. Consumer gets this boat and realizes it is a lot of work because they know nothing about boating. Family decides that being together all the time is not all that great. Boat sits. Consumer regrets purchase and 50k sitting unused. Hey I can make a killing right now so lets sell it and make a few bucks.

That worked for a while but I bet you will see a lot of new to boating people either loving it and realizing they purchased the wrong boat and want to upgrade or that they made a big mistake and want to cash out of boating.

I agree. I can tell you my searches and conversations that the amount of 1,2 or 3 year old Yamaha boats is starting to build up. Also they are staying available without sale as I check back in on them. I have many willing to adjust asking price. Also sooo many of them have less then 100 hours with most under 50 hours. Several with 20 or less. Winter is ahead and there will be more up for the offering.

I'm actually shocked at the low number of hours that I see on jetboats for sale. I even see a lot of four and five year old boats for sale with less than 100 hours. For many other types of boats, it seems to be common to put at least 50 - 100 hours a season on a boat.

Jim

I'm actually shocked at the low number of hours that I see on jetboats for sale. I even see a lot of four and five year old boats for sale with less than 100 hours. For many other types of boats, it seems to be common to put at least 50 - 100 hours a season on a boat.

Jim
I wonder if people are buying them for beach and partying because of the stern lounges, no props, and low draft. I know my time on the water vs time underway is very high. Anchor the front and stake the back

I wonder if people are buying them for beach and partying because of the stern lounges, no props, and low draft. I know my time on the water vs time underway is very high. Anchor the front and stake the back

I believe this is true of a lot of the jetboats. On the hand, I hear about a lot of folks who use their jetboats for watersports as well. So, it surprise me that I see very few boats with even moderate hours. The one outlier, I see, is with the bigger boats. I see some 240/250's with 400 - 500+ hours.

This is actually one of the few concerns that I have buying a jetboat, is that coming up on retirement, I plan to use my boat a lot. If I ever decide to sell the boat is will have many more hours than normal.

Jim

I believe this is true of a lot of the jetboats. On the hand, I hear about a lot of folks who use their jetboats for watersports as well. So, it surprise me that I see very few boats with even moderate hours. The one outlier, I see, is with the bigger boats. I see some 240/250's with 400 - 500+ hours.

This is actually one of the few concerns that I have buying a jetboat, is that coming up on retirement, I plan to use my boat a lot. If I ever decide to sell the boat is will have many more hours than normal.

Jim
Jim,

Don’t sweat the hours on these boats. The motors have a track record in skis. Someone can chip in here, but 1500-2k hours is not out of the ordinary. Change the oil and filter religiously and it should last.

Jim
My Vortex is a 2016 model year, ordered and received November 2015. I have just over 60 each engine. For me, I'm a pretty busy person and don't have a lot of free time for now. But, it was purchased knowing that it's there when I have time to use it.

I personally witnessed this at a yamaha dealer in end of June this summer on east coast ( wont name the dealer ) but here goes : I was driving with my wife and kids and was out of town when i noticed a yamaha dealer on the road we were on which had a few new models out front for display (il get into this in a few ) .. anyhow i decided to pull in to check them out there i ran into an old friend which was surprising he was the manager there and we began chatting .. they were just happening to be unwrapping a brand new 275! in red which by miracle just arrived , i asked wow how much is that thing going to fetch for ? he said the poor guy who was waiting for it we had to call him and tell him he has to pay 30 K over sticker ( which he agreed to buy it for ) or his order would be cancelled. huge growing waiting list was piling up . i was in shock .. then said what about the 25s out in front he said way over sticker ! thats why they are still there ! ... he did let me and the wife take a peek inside the new 275 with our shoes off of course ! .. its a beauty ! but the bow seating area is small ..like 19ft model small ! ... any how if this keeps up expect at least 50% of buyers to throw in the towel and just buy pre- owned !
I’m a casualty. I bailed off the waiting list for my 210FSH and purchased a used Sea Hunt 211 Ultra. Prices are coming down a little if you can find a seller who is motivated financially to sell. Good luck everyone.

I’m a casualty. I bailed off the waiting list for my 210FSH and purchased a used Sea Hunt 211 Ultra. Prices are coming down a little if you can find a seller who is motivated financially to sell. Good luck everyone.
Spoke to my dealer. Record amount of cancellations this year. Bumped me up the list. From August/ September of 2022 model year 23 because of allocation to “ it will be here before December/January.

One of my main concerns through all of this is how do they plan on honoring the warranties when they can’t even get the parts? I’ve had a few items that needed to be replaced on my new boat that I went ahead and replaced because I know I can’t get the part from the dealer and it’s three times the cost. I’m going to request a refund for my YES extended warranty because I can’t even get my boat in there for repairs and they can’t even get the parts. Fortunately he’s 1.8 L engines seem to be super reliable as long as you maintain them well. I’m a retired mechanic so I don’t really feel challenged about doing any repairs myself except for maybe acquiring some of the electronic it components and diagnostic equipment. The 2022s are coming out and they don’t even have service manuals for the 2021’s. Total bull dookie.

Jim,

Don’t sweat the hours on these boats. The motors have a track record in skis. Someone can chip in here, but 1500-2k hours is not out of the ordinary. Change the oil and filter religiously and it should last.
The longevity of these motors is how I keep talking myself out of trading up for new. 2010 AR 240 with 350 hrs and I hit 50 mph yesterday with the wife and 1/2 tank of gas. Hell if the market tanks and nobody wants my “high hours” boat I’ll just give it to one my sons when they start a family.

The longevity of these motors is how I keep talking myself out of trading up for new. 2010 AR 240 with 350 hrs and I hit 50 mph yesterday with the wife and 1/2 tank of gas. Hell if the market tanks and nobody wants my “high hours” boat I’ll just give it to one my sons when they start a family.
Some the main reasons I got a jet boat: Simplicity and ease of maintaining. As the stern drives age they have expensive maintenance items.

Back