• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha SR 230 Starter install

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Hello everyone, thanks for your help on this. I have searched all the threads for starter replacement on my yamaha sr 230 and I followed all the steps. After a whole day of trying to figure out how to get the exhaust off, which I never did because the first bolt towards the drivers side is impossible to get out. I then went on the internet and found this forum and found a thread about removing the starter. I got the starter off, but now there is no way to get it back on. I have been trying to move it all around I can and been going at it for 2 days. I can get the starter in / slash back in the hole, but I can not for the F*** in me get it to turn left to line up the bolt holes to bolt it back on to the motor. I called around to some service dealers and they said 6 to 700 because the motor has to be removed. I got it out so it has to go back in, I'm feeling around all i can but as you know it's all feel as we can see S**t and trying to re install it blind. Other then "feeling" around is there a certain or better way to get it back in. It seems like the postive cable that screws in the starter is in the way or something. Its perfectly straight, but once I get it into the hole I just can't turn it to the left enough to line up the bolt holes to the motor. Please someone give me a better way before I push my boat down my driveway and off the cliff. If not 700 at the dealer for a stupid starter is what I get for being a shitty DIY mechanic lol, but yamaha must of did that on purpose to make money. Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Attachments

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Removing the engine would make the the starter replacement much easier. Is it possible that you can use your tower as one support for a gantry crane? The engines weigh about 200lbs.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I could how hard is it to remove the engine? Not finding a video on YouTube or any info on threads?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having a service manual for your year and model is extremely helpful. It gives a detailed explanation of the process. Looking through the threads on removing engines will help you determine if you are up for it. You probably will not find videos but there are plenty of tips and pictures on this website.

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before you remove the engine...I'm thinking your starter gear is getting hung up on your engine flywheel as that is what the starter motor engages to turn the the engine over. Remove the four spark plugs on that engine. That will allow you to be able to turn the engine over by hand either at the impeller or the shaft off the back of the engine going to the impeller. By doing this you will move the flywheel and hopefully the starter motor will slip in. You may want somebody turn the impeller while you try to install the starter motor. Don't be too hard on yourself as these starters are hard to get to but not technically difficult to change. You may also want to enlist the aid of a skinny, wiry friend who has some basic mechanical skills. Let us know how you make out.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Even on the bench, the starter is elusive. Your best shot for access would be to lift it slightly off the mounts suspended up enough to get the access needed.
BA267D50-A040-4973-95B2-9BFF10E09F03.jpeg
EA144B80-4EA2-4721-954B-09EAD5B532CD.jpeg
Personally, I would still give the install another fresh start with a light mirror stuck into the right position so you can see underneath. Attempt it with the thinking of a precision surgery versus blindly hunting for the right spot and praying the bolts take while standing on your head. If your attempt fails, take a break then try again later. I bet you can get it without all the hassle of pulling it off the mounts and worrying about the alignment.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Yamaha SR 230 SoCal 2 questions (sorry if you’ve already answered)

1. Port or starboard?
2. Where in so cal are you located?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Before you remove the engine...I'm thinking your starter gear is getting hung up on your engine flywheel as that is what the starter motor engages to turn the the engine over. Remove the four spark plugs on that engine. That will allow you to be able to turn the engine over by hand either at the impeller or the shaft off the back of the engine going to the impeller. By doing this you will move the flywheel and hopefully the starter motor will slip in. You may want somebody turn the impeller while you try to install the starter motor. Don't be too hard on yourself as these starters are hard to get to but not technically difficult to change. You may also want to enlist the aid of a skinny, wiry friend who has some basic mechanical skills. Let us know how you make out.
Wow thanks for that great info, yeah I can't seem to turn it left at all, I will try that today and keep you posted.