• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha SR210 Drain Plugs

Christopher S. Junker

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
I just got my boat last year, and have a newbie Yamaha owner question. On my SR210, there is a drain plug and each storage locker and in the engine compartment. In the manual, it's states that these should be closed while underway. Does this have to do with, if the boat gets swamped? Or am I reading too much into it? And is it really necessary to have them all closed? Thanks for the advice!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome! The textbook answer is plugs in when on water and plugs out when on trailer. Logic can prevail over a singular rule; however depending on the situation. Personally, I leave the fuel compartment drain and engine bay drains closed. If I expect water in the floor compartments (lots of water sports and drippy vests, I will leave those open so it can drain to the bilge and get pumped. Unless it rains, I usually don’t even get a drop when pulling the main plug after retrieval.

roguewave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok I'm a new owner of a 2007 SX210 and love it!
There should be no debate about drain plugs in my view after looking at my boat.
Based on my interactions with the local Yamaha deal who thinks Port is a kind of wine they are ZERO help - maybe if yours sells more boats then bikes they might have a clue -

I suspect all of these boats are similar -
first coolers drain into the bilge - so you can drain after a trip or leave them open and in theory they will drain all the time (or as some see back fill with bilge water if the boat isn't tipped back towards the bilge pump.
I'm leaving mine plugged and if/when It's full of water not ice I can pull the plug drain and close - no reason to connect my bilge to my cooler too much.

Now on to the bigger issue. the very back compartment where the Jet Manhole plugs are has a very small tunnel connection to the aft section of the engine compartment where the bilge pump is. This allows that pump to clear all bilge water and/or water from the aft jet access area. SO the engine compartment and the bilge ARE open to each other in this area.

Moving forward in the engine compartment there is a drain plug under the center of the engines and then one forward of that these each are in a small contained area - I suspect to catch any oils or fuels that might leak. Keeping these plugs in is probably smart for the environment and would keep more of the water in the bilge pump area to trigger the pump.

If there was a massive leak the bilge would fill and if the pump can't keep up the water would top that engine compartment rear area and then fill the middle and then the forward area.

Keeping the plugs in might buy some sinking time but not much. I see no reason to NOT keep the engine compartment plugs in.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What if the leak occurs on the engine hoses? I prefer all drains open so the water flows to the back and gets picked up by the bilge pumps and triggers the float alarm I have installed so I know what's going on. Happy to be persuaded otherwise. In what scenario is the engine dryer with the plugs in?

roguewave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What if the leak occurs on the engine hoses? I prefer all drains open so the water flows to the back and gets picked up by the bilge pumps and triggers the float alarm I have installed so I know what's going on. Happy to be persuaded otherwise. In what scenario is the engine dryer with the plugs in?
Ok the real solution are those check valve plugs that the jet ski guys use - I'm looking into to those for my sx210

A blown line would fill the small well and then spill over after that well is full so if a leak at the front it would fill then move to the middle and then dump into the bilge. The are not that deep as they should almost always be dead dry - easy place for wet alarms.

to In what scenario is the engine dryer with the plugs in? if you leave the plugs out you are essentially letting the water seek a common level and move with boat pitch - e.g. if you had some water in the stern area it would only go the the bilge and out with plugs in - with plugs out it will spread out in all open areas and maybe not be enough for a bilge trigger - you will carry more water with plugs out before bilge kicks on

A few other thoughts -

I think Yamaha meant for these to be compartments for spills and to concentrate water at the bilge.
I'm not thrilled with bilge feeding water to my ice, beer or fish :^) plug in for me
if you had an oil leak it would get pumped out with open plugs versus maybe stay in one of the engine bays.
Do you leave the fuel tank drain open? huge risk if a fuel line goes and that get's into the engine bay

in my view pretty much everything forward of the bilge stays dry - UNLESS you have leaks - we had to clean and re-gasket the floor over the fuel tank now much better

I'm adding a few wet alarms so I have a clue even before the bilge pump kicks
Use 4200, really clean and seal the Clean out access hoses with double hose clamps and then the biggest leak source is fixed.

my 22 cents

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not worried about a fuel leak. I'm in much bigger trouble if that happens.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Plugs.jpg

Try closing that plug 🙂. Seems like someone mis-measured where to put the drain hole. This is on my 2020 212s.. I am gonna see what the dealer says.
Seems to me of Yamaha thinks that drain is important, they will want to f8x it. Not sure how though, other than the drilling a new hole in the right spot.
edit: this is the engine compartment forward area...