• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha stock depth gauge - surface to bottom, or hull to bottom?

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Somehow I can't find the answer to this question in the Yamaha manual, or anywhere on the web yet - so thought I'd just ask...

Does anyone know if the built-in depth gauge on the 2019+ Yamaha boats is measuring from the surface of the water to the bottom, or from the lowest point of your boat to the bottom?

(I had assumed it was reading surface to bottom, but I was boating on Sunday and it was reading only 2 ft water in a bunch of places on the lake, but I saw a bunch of other boats going through the same area that don't have nearly as short of a draft as our jet boats do, and they didn't seem worried.)

motomandan

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Somehow I can't find the answer to this question in the Yamaha manual, or anywhere on the web yet - so thought I'd just ask...

Does anyone know if the built-in depth gauge on the 2019+ Yamaha boats is measuring from the surface of the water to the bottom, or from the lowest point of your boat to the bottom?

(I had assumed it was reading surface to bottom, but I was boating on Sunday and it was reading only 2 ft water in a bunch of places on the lake, but I saw a bunch of other boats going through the same area that don't have nearly as short of a draft as our jet boats do, and they didn't seem worried.)
Depth of the transducer face to the bottom. Unless there is a programmable offset

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
All my boats have been the same, from the bottom of the hull.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Depth of transducer. It's a fun experiment for a friend that's had a cocktail or two... "hey, says it's only 5' here, you should be able to jump in to your chest deep, no problem!"

It's a good thing though. Set your depth alarm at 3', which is what the manual states as shallowest for operation, and use it to tell you when to turn off the engines when pulling up to a sand bar/idling. I don't worry about the depth alarm when running at speed though as the chance of bottom ingestion is a lot less and we draft shallower on plane.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the clarification guys!!