• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha SX210 in Saltwater - best way to prevent corrosion?

Dmronan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi, I’ve recently purchased a new 2020 SX210 for my father - and so far we are very pleased with the boat. He lives right on a saltwater bay, and We have brought it out on the water the past 2 days but pulled it out and flushed everything right after.

The problem is that my father is getting old and unable to trailer the boat by himself, and realistically will only take the boat out of the water when I’m around - which may not be too frequently. This means the boat may be left in salt water for weeks, if not months at a time. Yes, we took this into consideration beforehand, but decided that the other benefits of the boat that are specific to our area (low draft, no prop, low height for bridge) outweighed this.

I’ve taped up the waterlines and am planning to bottom paint it with Interlux Micron CF tomorrow, as well as spray the aluminum casings around the jet and rudder area with Interlux Trilux 33 tomorrow. I’ve heard a major issue with leaving these boats in saltwater is the corrosion of the jet pumps, so I was wondering 1) what is the best way/product to protect corrosion of these and 2) and there any other things I need to coat/antifoul before putting her in the water, and if so with what? Thanks a lot.

Dmronan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a 2015 SX210 and I was religious about flushing the engines for the first 2 years with fresh water after every outing. Once in while the boat would be in the water for 2-4 days but then pulled out on a trailer or Boatel lift to be flushed out. I have a lift now so it goes up after every outing. Use Salt Away after every outing to flush engines, to spray down boat, to spray down trailer. The stuff is amazing. I had a build up of salt that cost me thousands to have repaired as the salt clogged up inside and started causing the boat to overheat. Quite often I might add and was super annoying. I started using salt away when flushing after every outing and it’s been great since (knock on wood). I flush with fresh water for 5 minutes then switch to the salt away solution for 1 min then turn water off give it 2 bumps on throttle to blow out excess water and shut the engine off. I can’t imagine what the insides of a jetboat would look like if salt stayed in the system for months at a time. I hope for the best for you but that seems like a long time to leave a jetboat in the water. I personally wouldn’t consider over a week for mine. I would do your best to get it out of the water as often as possible for a fresh water and salt away flush on each of the engines. Good luck and hope you get some more answers!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Think twice about boating in shallow water unless you can pull the cylinder heads and scrape the sand out of the cylinder water jackets. Thanks to @JetBoatPilot for recording the video below and @Julian for posting it on this website!

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My recommendation is to NOT spray Trilux 33 directly on aluminum parts.
Better to use a self etching primer before spaying the paint.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So...you bought a brand new SX210 for your dad. If you're adopting I'm available.

Ok enough of that. While in salt water will you be at a mooring, a private dock or in a slip? Any access to fresh water if at a dock or slip? The ideal situation would be a boat lift. If a lift is not available a dock or slip with fresh water available is next best. If at a dock or slip with fresh water I would install isolation (tow) valves on each engine. That allows you to flush with fresh water and Salt Away after each use. By closing the valves to flush you shut off the salt water engine cooling intake which is replaced by the fresh water from the hose. Leave the valves closed until the next outing. Just don't forget to open them. You also need to pay close attention to all your anodes, external and internal.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Gym while i have the TOW valves and flush with Salt Away after every outing i'm curious about the recommendation to keep the TOW valves closed until the next time you go out. That is not something i have been doing (i usually reopen them right away after flushing) and i'm interested in understanding the benefits of keeping them closed.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's really not necessary to keep the valves closed. I just do that to trap any residual Salt Away laden fresh water in the system.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is wet-slipped so I'm wondering if keeping them closed would prevent salt water from coming back into the cooling system????
Now that i think about it i don't think the salt water would come back very much and at least not above the water line....

Nick Ford

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
What should I use to distribute the salt way in the engine. I heard the The apparatus they sell is cheap and falls apart.

Let me know
Thank You

I have a 2015 SX210 and I was religious about flushing the engines for the first 2 years with fresh water after every outing. Once in while the boat would be in the water for 2-4 days but then pulled out on a trailer or Boatel lift to be flushed out. I have a lift now so it goes up after every outing. Use Salt Away after every outing to flush engines, to spray down boat, to spray down trailer. The stuff is amazing. I had a build up of salt that cost me thousands to have repaired as the salt clogged up inside and started causing the boat to overheat. Quite often I might add and was super annoying. I started using salt away when flushing after every outing and it’s been great since (knock on wood). I flush with fresh water for 5 minutes then switch to the salt away solution for 1 min then turn water off give it 2 bumps on throttle to blow out excess water and shut the engine off. I can’t imagine what the insides of a jetboat would look like if salt stayed in the system for months at a time. I hope for the best for you but that seems like a long time to leave a jetboat in the water. I personally wouldn’t consider over a week for mine. I would do your best to get it out of the water as often as possible for a fresh water and salt away flush on each of the engines. Good luck and hope you get some more answers!

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are use the apparatus you are talking about and have never had any problems with it. It’s made by salt away and it comes as a kit