• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Yamaha's New Steering Patent

I learned after buying a '12 242, and a '10 Porsche Cayman, the next generation of a vehicle is usually pretty dang slick. However, in the case of my Yamaha so far new editions are just nice to have, not an OMG I have to have a new one! Unlike the Gen 3 Cayman S.... That's an OMG I have to have one, well maybe a C7 Z06 Vette....

The new C7 Z06 is TIGHT. . . .but the wife will only let me buy a pre 65 Vette. (For now)

The keel shape is interesting and will absolutely track differently on a plane with or without the rudder. That said, a deeper pointed keel like the one they have in this patent will require a rudder now for low speed maneuverability, because it will be that much more difficult for the jets to turn the boat (opposed to the flat bottom on the aft end of the hull in previous generations). The illustrations seem to point to a higher bow, though (which I like).

I hope they have thought about all the kids that play behind these boats. Sure wouldn't want to kick a steel rudder.

I have no interest in a rudder. It would be in the way when I back up to the shore. That's one of the reasons we took the cobra fins off this year. I bent them twice.

I would welcome a keel change though.

Looks VERY interesting. Looks like it relates also to a hull design that would likely ride more smoothly in chop as well. Probably not a step in the right direction for the "spin out" crowd, but I'd likely find this to be a great addition and something that would make the boat easier to drive for those not accustomed to jet characteristics.

Am or pm? :vulcan:

No fins no rudders! Period.

This quote in the patent filing is interesting....

Alternatively, the keel 20 may be manufactured separately from the hull 15 and connected to the hull 15 after the hull 15 has been manufactured.

Is it possible that this could be an add-on for previous years?'

This is also interesting:

As shown in FIGS. 1 and 6, the linkage 40 is connected to a steering device 12 in the cockpit of the jet boat 10. The linkage 40 may be a cable or any other known mechanical device that transmits a turning force of the steering device 12 to pivot the articulating keel 30 about the pivot axis 35. Alternatively, the articulating keel 30 may be pivoted using an electric motor or hydraulics that receive a signal from the steering device 12 and an electronic control unit mounted on the jet boat 10.
The steering device 12 may be a steering wheel, or any other suitable device that can be steered by the operator of the jet boat 10. Preferably, the steering device 12 is arranged to simultaneously pivot both the jet propulsion nozzles 11 and the articulating keel 30 to steer the jet boat 10. Alternatively, the jet boat 10 may include an articulating keel steering system arranged to pivot the articulating keel 30 and a separate nozzle steering system arranged to pivot the jet propulsion nozzles 11.

Sounds like they kept their options open on the patent. Wonder if the keel disengages at speed so as not to effect the steering response.

No fins no rudders! Period.
That is where I have always been and will remain. To each their own, but no for me.

That is where I have always been and will remain. To each their own, but no for me.

I'm with you on steering. I have no issues what so ever maneuvering around the dock, and actually prefer finless steering for that aspect.

I will admit that fins could come in handy for long no-wake zones. I am, however, interested in how that new keel will handle in chop. Even at slower speeds I feel as though this boat could handle chop better. (With the understanding that it is lighter than its stern drive counter parts)

Looks like they are interested in a quick release Bimini also.
http://patents.justia.com/patent/20140026803

I think this is the optional full boat cover that they have in their accessory catalog.

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/yamaha-sun-shade?b=Boat&d=13|13

US20140026803A1-20140130-D00000.png

For long no wake zones I will move my kids to the rear of the boat. I have noticed that when you have the bow weighted it pulls the aft out of the water a few inches and reduces steering. Also throws off the center of gravity. So when executing a turn the boat tends to pivot on the nose instead of the center of the boat causing the boat to over steer. If you move the weight to the aft, the jets are further in the water and it also changes the pivot point, so the boat no longer over steers.

It's not a bid deal unless you have a long no wake zone. Now that I know this about the physics of the boat I can compensate without moving the passengers. I only move them in long no wake periods.

Also this dynamic only occurs when you have people sitting in the bow and no one aft. If you have adults aft, then it counters the weight of the kids in the bow. Just to clarify, My kids are also teens, and athletes, so they aren't little. Two girls both 5'9" and 5'10", so I wanted to clarify.

Steering a YJB is all about feel, predictability, and balance; really only at slow speeds (less than 5mph). Too me the keel and rudder would be a detractor.

7:30 PM (19:30) EST on the 19th.
Daylight time is still in effect, so I'm pretty sure you meant 19:30 EDT :p Unless its at 6:30 PM daylight time which would be 19:30 standard time. :rolleyes: (curse you Ben Franklin :mad:)
Sorry, I'm an engineer :sorry:

Daylight time is still in effect, so I'm pretty sure you meant 19:30 EDT :p Unless its at 6:30 PM daylight time which would be 19:30 standard time. :rolleyes: (curse you Ben Franklin :mad:)
Sorry, I'm an engineer :sorry:

That's funny right there.

Steering a YJB is all about feel, predictability, and balance; really only at slow speeds (less than 5mph). Too me the keel and rudder would be a detractor.
Well said. I think some folks difficulty stems from drinking a case if Old Milwakee while boating/driving. :) I've only owned my twin engine jet boat for 3 months & find it simple to operate @slow speeds.....any speed IMO.

Last edited:
This is starting to go the way of cars and automatic transmissions.

I prefer a manual/stick car when I want to have fun and I prefer the performance and maneuverability of twin jets as they are today. I can't speak to how this might come into play for a 24 foot boat but for these little 19/20's, they are fun without a keel.

Neat, but not necessarily a game changer in my mind with aftermarket fins currently available.

I think the keel itself changes the game a little. Looking at this in a vacuum (not taking into account the other changes) You're going to notice people moving around in the boat a little more (from side to side). But it will track better, for certain, even when compared to boats with 4 rudders (two sets of fins).

Back