• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

YES Extended Warranty Cost and Dealers?

dcshobby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I've done a lot of research here and I'm purchasing a 2019 AR240 from River Valley in MN but they said I get either a $2k rebate off the sale price OR a 3-year YES warranty. Yamaha's website only mentions the 3 year warranty but nothing about any rebate. The dealer wants to sell an aftermarket warranty for 5 years at $2k but I'd prefer the Yamaha one.

Is it worth me trying to call Yamaha and ask about the rebate vs. warranty? I'd obviously love the $2k rebate plus the 3-year warranty that Yamaha advertises.

For those who have purchased the warranty, what did you pay for the 48-month YES warranty?

Are there any dealers who sell the YES warranty at a better cost than my dealer is quoting at $1,800 for 48 months?

Thank you all for your feedback

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No opinion on your actual question(s), but I think we’ve heard positive things about that dealer in the past.

dcshobby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I called Yamaha and they said I should be able to choose the warranty and any rebate the dealer offers. They said there is not an offer that is a rebate or the warranty so the $2k rebate is from the dealer, not Yamaha.

Yamaha said if I wanted to extend the 3-year included coverage to 4 years, it would be $1,300 and to 5 years total (1 yr standard plus 4 YES), it would be $1,700.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not sure about your situation but when I bought my 2018 AR240 I got a 5 year YES plus 2 years of free oil changes and 2 winterizations for $4500. I debated a bit but went ahead and did it. If it was me, not knowing the quality of your dealer, I would do the 3 year YES.

Since the dealer seems to be willing to eat $2k for something, maybe negotiate a bit?

dcshobby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got them to give a $1,000 credit for accessories so I'll buy mooring cover and anchor kit probably.

When I asked them about annual oil change and winterization, they said it's $450 per annual service covering both things. It sounds like what you paid $4,500 for, I would only be at $1,700 for warranty plus $900 for 2 services or $2,600 in total.

I'm just curious if anyone has bought YES warranty at a discount from a dealer other than where they purchased the boat? I've seen it done for cars when the selling dealer won't deal on the warranty cost.

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only time I have seen a YES warranty deal was from Yamaha promotion. Annual sort of lines up with my dealer, they charge about $500.

I forgot, I did get a $1k accessories deal as well. $900 for the black fitted cover consumed that. (It is a really nice cover though!).

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Search around for reviews of the anchor kit provided by Yamaha - not highly rated. An option is to look at the Mantus or box anchor.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
An oil change you can do yourself for less than $100 and winterizing a yamaha is minimal. Literally all I do is pull the batteries, fuel stabilizer, and put a bucket of damp rid on the boat. They are gouging you on the prices of those services

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agree with @bobbie . Dealer is taking you for a ride.

dcshobby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I know $450 is high because they're charging labor. We're in MN so they say it's wise to flush it with RV antifreeze before we store it for the winter since it's unheated. They do the whole inspection and stuff too but I imagine none of that is hard to do ourselves if we have the time and tools for it all.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Well I know $450 is high because they're charging labor. We're in MN so they say it's wise to flush it with RV antifreeze before we store it for the winter since it's unheated. They do the whole inspection and stuff too but I imagine none of that is hard to do ourselves if we have the time and tools for it all.
First, it has been proven time and time again by user after user in the North country that these engines self drain and weather fine in sub-0 temps without flushing with antifreeze. Having said that, I tried with all my might to wrap my brain around this fact but years upon years of I/O winterizing engrained on my brain was just too much and I couldn't help myself - I ended up flushing with antifreeze. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So
Approximately $125 or so in oil change kits, fogging oil, antifreeze.
About 3.5 hours of labor involving:
- changing oil on both engines
- flushing both engines with antifreeze
- flushing all onboard ballast tanks and pumps with antifreeze
- pulling spark plugs and fogging all cylinders on both engines

$450 - $125 = $325 -> $325 / 3.5 hours = $92.86 per hour shop charge.

So for me it is what it is - seems expensive but if you don't want to do the work yourself, you pay the price, or you find somewhere cheaper (but make sure you can trust them). I will say though River Valley in my experience with both boats and atvs has been stand up, quality work, and has always treated me well.

Edit: forgot to list stabilizing the fuel but doesn't really change the approximate cost/time anyway.

Last edited:

dcshobby

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm from Kasson and see you're in Oronoco. I live in Wabasha now so will leave it in a slip here and trailer it up north a few times. Where do you like to go boating usually?

$92 an hour is right around what we charge to work on tech issues for our internet customers so it's not an unfair amount for shop work in my opinion. Just depends how much I trust myself vs. their shop techs.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I'm from Kasson and see you're in Oronoco. I live in Wabasha now so will leave it in a slip here and trailer it up north a few times. Where do you like to go boating usually?

$92 an hour is right around what we charge to work on tech issues for our internet customers so it's not an unfair amount for shop work in my opinion. Just depends how much I trust myself vs. their shop techs.
Cool - my wife has spent time teaching at both Kasson-Mantorville and Wabasha high schools in years past. We've lived along the river through the years in Winona and Lake City before moving to Oronoco.

For day trips or overnights we always head up to Lake City. If we are just going to head out for few hours or after work we go over to Lake Zumbro which is about 15 min from us.

Jores

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The problem with the warranty in cold climate is a three year warranty lasts only three boating seasons or less than 6 months (x3) - different story if your in warm weather like Florida where you'd actually get the full 36 months. That being the case I took the $2000. John

Salt Air

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Has anyone ever used the warranty?. I’m not seeing any issues with a couple wave runner engines?

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve used the YES Warranty on both of my boats. I bought both of my boats used (prior 2008 SX230 and current 2013 242LS) and the piece of mind of having an extended service contract, has come in handy for addressing some of the foibles that we regularly complain about on this forum. I am not sure a $2k investment gets paid back fully in the resolution of “manufacturing defects”, due to Yamaha’s improving build quality. But, there is some value of the YES Warranty for your boat’s potential resale, as it provides some buyer risk reduction. Both of my used boats had the YES Warranty In place, before I bought them and the extended service contract was very valuable to me as a used boat buyer.

LayneG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just bought an AR240 last week and negotiated the additional 2 year Yamaha warranty for $995 that would make 5 years total. Another dealer told me their cost on the warranty was $850.