• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

YES warranty

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looking for opinions on if this is worth getting or not. My dealer did not pitch it to me when I bought the boat, but I asked about it today when I stopped by. Essentially, it will be $2k for an additional 48 months.

I am not concerned with minor issues as I usually just address those myself. For example, I had a switch where the LED light was not working. Instead of going through the hassle and leaving my boat with them for however long, I just bought a replacement for $8.

What I am concerned with is major issues on the engine and pumps. Just not sure if it is worth what amounts to a $500 a year insurance plan.

Thoughts?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My dealer offers a full re-reimbursement if I never use it. That made the decision quite easy. Also 2k sounds high.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for opinions on if this is worth getting or not. My dealer did not pitch it to me when I bought the boat, but I asked about it today when I stopped by. Essentially, it will be $2k for an additional 48 months.

I am not concerned with minor issues as I usually just address those myself. For example, I had a switch where the LED light was not working. Instead of going through the hassle and leaving my boat with them for however long, I just bought a replacement for $8.

What I am concerned with is major issues on the engine and pumps. Just not sure if it is worth what amounts to a $500 a year insurance plan.

Thoughts?
I'll admit to being pretty biased, but if you asked me - I would say: Hell No.

For starters - if you read the fine print of YES - it is a generic, cover nothing, "extended warranty" for toys, it is the same exact document - for ATVs, snowmobiles, skis, and boats! Covers virtually nothing, unless your dealer wants to prove something otherwise and pretty much take it upon themselves. Which they can always do, anyway. So - 2k for that - no way. They can deny you for almost anything based on "it's not covered" by YES clause. (yes, read the fine print of YES - you will be amused!)

In my own experience, and from what I have observed, Yamaha (a motor and toy maker, not a real boat builder) likes to triage the cases along the lines of their liability exposure. They will promptly swap your seat cushions if those get discolored or fall apart at the seams, but a tower falling on your head is - you guessed it! - operator's error.

On the other hand, Yamaha has been very good about replacing the whole engines in 1.8 boats and skis with the timing chain failure, with or without current warranty. So - no YES or factory warranty needed for it.

I'm curious about @adrianp89 comment, not sure how would that full reimbursement business work...

--

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have it (because the original owner, a Yamaha rep, did). I probably would have ponied up for it though on a new boat. These aren't cheap, and in the grand scheme of things +/- 2K shouldn't be the buffer of being able to afford one. A catastrophic engine failure would easily pay for it, and I'm pretty sure a connext failure could approach that cost as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have it (because the original owner, a Yamaha rep, did). I probably would have ponied up for it though on a new boat. These aren't cheap, and in the grand scheme of things +/- 2K shouldn't be the buffer of being able to afford one. A catastrophic engine failure would easily pay for it, and I'm pretty sure a connext failure could approach that cost as well.
Good point! But if I recall correctly, no electronics are covered. I could be wrong.
I still have a year or two of yes on mine, got the extra 2 or 3 years (purchased on top of factory 1year all inclusive), but I remember reading it was kind of eye opener.
Again, I'll need to find it and read again! But if I was buying it again, I would double check what does it actually cover (the YES, not the one year factory)

--

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'll admit to being pretty biased, but if you asked me - I would say: Hell No.

For starters - if you read the fine print of YES - it is a generic, cover nothing, "extended warranty" for toys, it is the same exact document - for ATVs, snowmobiles, skis, and boats! Covers virtually nothing, unless your dealer wants to prove something otherwise and pretty much take it upon themselves. Which they can always do, anyway. So - 2k for that - no way. They can deny you for almost anything based on "it's not covered" by YES clause. (yes, read the fine print of YES - you will be amused!)

In my own experience, and from what I have observed, Yamaha (a motor and toy maker, not a real boat builder) likes to triage the cases along the lines of their liability exposure. They will promptly swap your seat cushions if those get discolored or fall apart at the seams, but a tower falling on your head is - you guessed it! - operator's error.

On the other hand, Yamaha has been very good about replacing the whole engines in 1.8 boats and skis with the timing chain failure, with or without current warranty. So - no YES or factory warranty needed for it.

I'm curious about @adrianp89 comment, not sure how would that full reimbursement business work...

--
Hopefully I’ll let you know 4.5 years lol

Phreddei

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dealer sweetened the deal with free 2 year YES on top of 1 year regular warranty. 18 SX190. Irwin Marine Laconia NH. Would not have bought it.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good point! But if I recall correctly, no electronics are covered. I could be wrong.
I still have a year or two of yes on mine, got the extra 2 or 3 years (purchased on top of factory 1year all inclusive), but I remember reading it was kind of eye opener.
Again, I'll need to find it and read again! But if I was buying it again, I would double check what does it actually cover (the YES, not the one year factory)

--
Yeah, you might be right. Looks like it only covers mechanical failures not due to wear/tear or aging.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not get it, 2gs is way too much.

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had my screen replaced because of hairline cracks which was cover under warranty
I believe the cost would of been over 1k just for screen.
Easier to sell Boat with a warranty on it.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Think of this as insurance. You are betting $2K that you will likely need repairs in excess of $2k. If nothing breaks you are out $2K. If something breaks, you have paid for it, so you will be invested in the dealer fixing it, via this pre-payment, which means in general the dealer may put ahead of you all work that is not warranty, since that will help his cashflow.

If $2K is not much for you in the grand scheme of things, buy it for the peace of mind, but put another $1K for your happiness aside and draw from there for the easy stuff, Dealers generally turn around in 1 or 2 weeks. It always seems like a favor too. I find that plain wrong, and usually stay as far away as possible from their service bays in my boating life and thus always buy used/no warranty and pay out of pocket as needed. If you blow a timing chain, and it's $6K you will be happy you had YES! Otherwise, I;m not sure you will come out ahead. Even if both screens go bad, you barely break even...

Tough Call...

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got either 3-4 years yes thrown in for free as it was Yamaha’s promo at the time so it was an easy call for me and def agree it will make the boat easier to sell as when I bought new I was really looking to go used I had a price point in mind but also had to have the yes warranty as well for me to go used and I just didn’t find what I was looking for. I don’t think you have to decide now if I remember correctly Yamaha just before your factory warranty expires will send you an offer to purchase it directly from them.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had one because it came with the boat which I purchased, used. Never had to use mine. I never analyzed the warranty, but my gut tells me there is too much wiggle room for the provider to try and get out of most things, unless you have an attorney on retainer to fight back. I have litigated many warranty claims over the years - each one for a friend at little or no charge because I take pleasure in screwing with the manufacturers or the warranty provider who IMO are built to gouge you for whatever they can, and then try and get out of paying claims. Every last one of them settled in our favor, for every penny we wanted. I'm talking suing travel insurance providers for denying valid illness claims; a dealer for refusing to fix a burned out clutch on a one year old high end Porsche (that we believed and had proof was caused by a mechanic joy riding the car) claiming "operator error;" Am Home Warranty (one of the biggest rips going) for not paying legit warranted claims, etc etc etc.....bottom line? Your paying 2K for possible peace of mind - not complete, guaranteed peace of mind. My thought is if something is going to go wrong, it is going to go wrong while under the factory warranty anyway, so save the 2k.

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had one because it came with the boat which I purchased, used. Never had to use mine. I never analyzed the warranty, but my gut tells me there is too much wiggle room for the provider to try and get out of most things, unless you have an attorney on retainer to fight back. I have litigated many warranty claims over the years - each one for a friend at little or no charge because I take pleasure in screwing with the manufacturers or the warranty provider who IMO are built to gouge you for whatever they can, and then try and get out of paying claims. Every last one of them settled in our favor, for every penny we wanted. I'm talking suing travel insurance providers for denying valid illness claims; a dealer for refusing to fix a burned out clutch on a one year old high end Porsche (that we believed and had proof was caused by a mechanic joy riding the car) claiming "operator error;" Am Home Warranty (one of the biggest rips going) for not paying legit warranted claims, etc etc etc.....bottom line? Your paying 2K for possible peace of mind - not complete, guaranteed peace of mind. My thought is if something is going to go wrong, it is going to go wrong while under the factory warranty anyway, so save the 2k.
This is the same logic that I typically follow. Unless they offer it for less than $2k (a lot less) then I will probably not get it.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the YES when I got my first boat, basically at the bosses' insistence. She loves extended warranties; I hate them. But, this was our first boat. Her point (and quite correct at the time) was that if we dropped all of this money on the boat and then (since I have never had a boat), what if you can't fix it?

Since then, I have learned that almost any repair is in my capabilities. Would I do it again? No. Am I happy that I did it the first time for the peace of mind and her peace of mind? Yes.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Going to need to make friends with you.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I got the YES when I got my first boat, basically at the bosses' insistence. She loves extended warranties; I hate them. But, this was our first boat. Her point (and quite correct at the time) was that if we dropped all of this money on the boat and then (since I have never had a boat), what if you can't fix it?

Since then, I have learned that almost any repair is in my capabilities. Would I do it again? No. Am I happy that I did it the first time for the peace of mind and her peace of mind? Yes.
Well said. She a big reason why we ended up new instead of used. With the few issues we had, as usually she was right. :banghead:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've uploaded a copy of my YES contract since these are basically impossible to find online. It is quite restrictive, and reading it again I'm not sure that I would have voluntarily paid for it at the time of purchase had I bought new. Considering that these boats are relatively simple (compared to an I/O or something), outside of a serious engine failure I'd probably do most repairs on my own just to get back on the water anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5dpp5a4m2gw4z8a/YES Warranty - Redacted.pdf?dl=0

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Unless I missed it...it sounds like electrical minus speakers are covered. So connext is covered.