• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Zipper on stern side of bimini

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently noticed a zipper, actually two, on the stern underside of my bimini and can’t figure out what it is for. It looks like it could only be used if the fabric was taken off the frame, but in my search for Bimini extension options I see that the 230 used to have a factory extension option. Did the 2011 SX240 have such an option too?
08E47E83-5B81-400E-81F9-F0FACEFAD380.jpeg

Rufio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought a 2011 SX240 as well. Let me know what you find on this. All I can find on the net is 230 bimini extensions. I wonder how different the 230 bimini's are and if they could be slightly modified to fit the 240.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am going to keep looking for what I can find regarding an OEM one. If I don’t find anything then I’ll see about a mod using the same idea. If I’m going to go through a lot of cost seems like a good time to get a new top too.

I did find some really good pics of an extension on a 2006 SX210:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2010 242 Ls with a forward swept tower, it did not have a zipper on the trailing edge of the Bimini but I had one installed and used the frame from my 230 Sx extension To support a bimini extension I had made for the 242.
I think the zipper you are seeing on the 2011 240 was put there by the previous owner of the boat, not Yamaha. To my knowledge, Yamaha stopped offering extensions around 2007 when the final version of the 230s were released.

Rufio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2011 SX240 Bimini has the exact same zippers. Looks OEM to me... anyways I just ordered this
They had the grey one on eBay. Will see how I can mod this to fit. I plan on putting the posts into the swim platform cup holders. I just want more shade when I’m anchored. Will take it down when I’m on the move. I’ll post once I get this in and installed.

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a good start to mod with. I look forward to seeing how you make out with it.
My 2011 SX240 Bimini has the exact same zippers. Looks OEM to me... anyways I just ordered this
They had the grey one on eBay. Will see how I can mod this to fit. I plan on putting the posts into the swim platform cup holders. I just want more shade when I’m anchored. Will take it down when I’m on the move. I’ll post once I get this in and installed.

Rufio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here’s the Oceansouth Bimini extension.
I cut the excess straps so there’s no dangling straps. Fits nice. Poles are tucked into the swim platform cup holders. Poles are extendable so I can raise or lower the the height. Held down by straps. No sway in the poles. I plan on using this only when anchored. Shade of grey is slightly lighter then stock Bimini grey.
B8B18AA7-417B-4984-AF21-DD252BD5F420.jpeg8774BFCC-4787-4D6C-8A36-3063A54C83A0.jpeg

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That looks real good. I assume you have the poles at their fullest extension in the pic. I wish it were a foot or so longer, but that’s 4-5’ more shade there and if it were further it would probably impact standing on the edge of the swim platform. I see a lot of these relying on fishing rod holders, so it is nice to see this working well with the cupholders.