• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Zipwake install on 2023 Yamaha 252SD

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Uhhh where is that water coming from?

As I was drilling the holes on the port side and got to the last two holes, water started leaking out!

The leak started when I drilled the leftmost bottom hole, and then when I drilled the leftmost top hole it also came out of that one.

This is the opposite side to the shower, and far enough away from the exhaust, so I’m not sure where it’s coming from. And strange that no water came out of the other holes. From what I can tell, near those holes there is a separate part to the bilge, kinda like a box area, and maybe it got full of water somehow. I’m going to try to figure out where it came from before I put the access hatch back in place but would appreciate any tips!

View attachment 207275
I was just planning my Lectrotab installation and reading related threads. I happened to think of yours from the other day. One of the items on my check-list is to verify the position of the water boxes as it relates to where I need to drill the holes to mount the tabs in case I need to go with shorter screws than recommended if the water boxes are going to be too close.

Are you shore you didn't drill into your water box on the port side? That's a lot of water coming out and it is pretty high up from the keel. I would think you couldn't have had that much water in the back of the boat.

I have a 275SD and I need to double-check but I think my water boxes are in that area. I'm going to take a look in the morning.

shortroyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I don’t think so - I believe the water box is this big metal thing (correct if I am wrong), while the screws came through the transom indicated by the yellow circle. The green circle shows where the screws that leaked went into. I am not sure what is inside there, there is no access to it that I can find.

E0E25531-D7AE-4E8F-B307-2276EA5689BC.jpeg

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I don’t think so - I believe the water box is this big metal thing (correct if I am wrong), while the screws came through the transom indicated by the yellow circle. The green circle shows where the screws that leaked went into. I am not sure what is inside there, there is no access to it that I can find.

View attachment 207579
You are correct..... the water boxes look to be pretty far from the transom. It is crazy how much water came out and how high it was from the keel.

I will say the 252 looks to be easier to work on back there than the 275. I like having the walk through between the two engines but since they created separate engine compartments, I only have two small access holes to get in there for running the wires.

shortroyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
With the Lectrotab I think you have an actuator that comes out via the underside of the swim platform? If it helps, that swim platform area is quite open (on my boat at least) so once you drill the holes it might be easy enough to push a cable puller through it even if you can’t get much access.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'm looking at the Zipwakes also. as the Lectrotabs will not fit on the 255x models.

shortroyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I lowered the boat in the water today, the port side was perfect, no leaks, but the starboard side had a small trickle of water coming in. I think it’s because of how the transom is curved here and the nut not sitting flat on the back of the transom.

The instructions say not to use sealant on this part, but all that stops water is an o-ring and I think without the nut putting pressure evenly, it’s not enough. So I pulled off the interceptor, undid the nut and added 5200 around the outside of it. Will give it a couple of days to dry and try it again. Otherwise everything is working perfectly.

IMG_1860.jpeg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just note that the 5200 is the permanent stuff. If you ever need to get that off, you will be toast. 4200 is the stuff for anything you might want to take off later. When I put in my Lectrotabs, I used 5200 on the tabs, but 4200 on the actuator (my figuring: more likely to fail someday and need replacing).

5200 is not a silly choice; just so you know the risks before it fully sets up...

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Do you have a review of how the Interceptors worked? I need to order something for this season.

shortroyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Very happy with them. They do definitely make a noticeable difference - in chop turning them off you feel it a lot more. Being able to switch between auto and manual easily is great too. So far no issues with them.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Very happy with them.
At slow speed (No Wake mode full) with them fully extended. Do the do anything? I had the group buy trim tabs on our '18 242x. I found with the tabs down and with no wake at full or just using the throttles. I could travel very fast with the boat level and no wake. It felt like cheating.

shortroyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
At slow speeds they help to auto balance and level the boat. So the bow isn’t up as much as normal, and if the wife or kids move around the boat levels itself back up. I could live without them though. Where we are glad we have them is out on the bay when the wind is up.

shortroyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I guess the best way to put it would be, if this boat sank and I bought another, I would buy and install them again.