• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

ZipWake Interceptors

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Anyone install Zipwake trim tabs on their boat? Expensive, but look awesome.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone install Zipwake trim tabs on their boat? Expensive, but look awesome.
Interesting concept. Wonder how well they work on "non-vertical" transoms. I know trim tabs struggle with that as well. I like how small and unobtrusive they are as compared to trim tabs. Curious how they would interact with the bunks on a trailer if not installed exactly right.

I'm not sure what the price of a good set of tabs/actuators, and controller is, but these kits don't look completely outrageous at ~$3k or so... Kits

Probably overkill for my little 190, but I could see some of the 24ft guys trying these out if price is right.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Interesting concept. Wonder how well they work on "non-vertical" transoms. I know trim tabs struggle with that as well. I like how small and unobtrusive they are as compared to trim tabs. Curious how they would interact with the bunks on a trailer if not installed exactly right.

I'm not sure what the price of a good set of tabs/actuators, and controller is, but these kits don't look completely outrageous at ~$3k or so... Kits

Probably overkill for my little 190, but I could see some of the 24ft guys trying these out if price is right.
From what I understand, they are mounted flush and won't interfere with the bunks. You can always move the boat back on the trailer a few inches of needed. These are definitely interesting and are made in Sweden, hopefully with some German involvement. A great alternative if you don't want trim tabs hanging off of your transom. I may consider them at some point.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Volvo Penta makes a similar "interceptor" trim tab.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Volvo Penta makes a similar "interceptor" trim tab.
Interesting......I googled :D :D

Looks pretty expensive from Volvo.....I didn't do an exhaustive search here.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Interesting......I googled :D :D

Looks pretty expensive from Volvo.....I didn't do an exhaustive search here.

Looks very similar. The ZipWakes for a 21 footer are about $2,800.+

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks very similar. The ZipWakes for a 21 footer are about $2,800.+
I like the dial interface on the ZipWakes much better. Just looks neater. Not sure there is any other appreciable difference.

Maybe support network?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I like the dial interface on the ZipWakes much better. Just looks neater. Not sure there is any other appreciable difference.

Maybe support network?
I like the fact they are compact, and self-contained.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Zipwakes are very popular. Every boat that comes off the production line here has them on. They do not hang below the bottom of the boat. The volvo’s have been around for years. The volvos always sucked though. They had alot of problems and were not durable at all. That was 20 years ago though. I dont know how they are now. I dont know any boat mfg that use them. They are all using the zipwakes now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These hydrotabs seem a little more reasonable but not as fancy.
That is a little more "my speed". Wouldn't mind something like this. Every now and then I have a list from people sitting on one side or the other. Would be nice to correct that without asking anyone to move. Wonder how they would effect planning speed on a 190? Also curious how it would affect wake shape? My Smart Tabs on the Rinker would completely destroy the wake and make the edge bubbly and soft, wonder if these do the same thing?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Definitely more in my price range. I was looking at the smart tabs for my boat, just for easy of install and price. But I bet after awhile I would have wished I went for the real thing, and I don't want to be drilling holes in my boat for something I might not like and/or perform to my liking.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Well i can tell you guys that for years the biggest complaint about the volvos, which these look like a knock off of, was that they throw a big spray in the air off the back of the boat. Like 4’ high. Now being under a swim platform i dont know how relevant that would be or if it affects the wake shape. Zip wakes i have not heard that complaint but also never really got into a good conversation about them with any of the captains.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I was at the plant today and got some closeup pics if tue zipwake installed if anyone is interested.

64F472DE-52A2-4B66-91AF-C3A67B3C86CC.jpeg7A17D25D-4CA7-4F07-89E3-E0C6A8B4EC4B.jpeg171060F5-36F8-4815-93B3-7743C689E57F.jpeg

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
That is a 41 valhalla.

@2kwik4u valhalla is viking yacht’s center console line. They build them here in new jersey at the old ocean yachts factory. Viking bought it when ocean went under

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

3abadi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
I could not find the price for the hydrotabs. Any idea how much those would cost? Any experience using them?