• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Captains Chair Pedestal???

kjr6306

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone replaced their captain's chair pedestal with an aftermarket one? I seem to always be uncomfortable in mine. It's too low and even with the bolster folded up I always find myself propping myself up when driving the boat. The adjustments just don't seem to work correctly.....

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve replaced the fixed pedestal with an adjustable one in two of my boats. It’s easy to do but if you don’t go with the same brand, and sometimes even if you do, the mounting holes don’t match up. So if you like the replacement enough you will need to drill and thread new mounting holes for it.

also, unless you plan to switch drivers or positions often consider getting a fixed height pedestal. There are a lot of sizes to choose from and they are less expensive that the variable height models.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone replaced their captain's chair pedestal with an aftermarket one? I seem to always be uncomfortable in mine. It's too low and even with the bolster folded up I always find myself propping myself up when driving the boat. The adjustments just don't seem to work correctly.....
Many have done this. I just did mine last year. You've got an older boat, so the best way for us to help you is to post pics of what's existing, with as many identifying things of the current seat assembly in those pics as possible. If you've got a 6-bolt pattern to the seat post, there's a dead simple method to figure out your hole spacing, since it'll be spaced evenly and therefore easy to measure. If you've got a different one, pics will help to direct you on what and where to measure.

Getting the OEM bolts out will be your toughest challenge, and may require you to learn some new (but easy) skills, tapping and threading holes, like @Ronnie mentioned. Getting the height you want will be the next biggest challenge, but that'll be simply checking out specs and going with what you determine you'll want.

Do you like the bolster? I found it to take up way too much space, but I have a different seat than you do. If you're not a fan, then removing it should be a matter of 4-6 bolts, and then using cushions or something else to determine what you want the max seat height of the new setup to be, and if you think you might want to raise/lower it, figure out what your minimum is that you want. Again, @Ronnie brings up a great point about a fixed pedestal. It should end up being cheaper than an adjustable post, but you've gotta decide that, and let us know your decision and what you're looking to do.

First, pics. ALWAYS pics. Way easier to edit them to show you on YOUR setup what we're trying to say, or see what YOU are referring to.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was a part of that thread as well as the others above. I truly love having no bolster and a higher post. You get the height benefit as well as the back rest. More room under the steering wheel as well.

BTW, don't be afraid of drilling and tapping either. Irwin makes a drill bit/tap set and you are doing it in aluminum. Which is the easiest to drill/tap.

kjr6306

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input! I was truly hoping to find a pedestal that was an exact fit but it doesn't sound like that is available. I'm not afraid of drilling and tapping but know how that can turn into a project LOL. I guess the next step will be to find an economical option as pricing is all over the place for replacement pedestals....

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just got some new pedestals for my 195S to add a little height. They should be plug and play, but I haven't installed them yet. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get the old screws out with an impact driver. We'll see. They are Springfield pedestals as mentioned above.

kjr6306

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just got some new pedestals for my 195S to add a little height. They should be plug and play, but I haven't installed them yet. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get the old screws out with an impact driver. We'll see. They are Springfield pedestals as mentioned above.
Where did you purchase? Price?

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ordered from Cascade Depot. They were only $60 each. Looks like their website is down right now.