• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker/Amp Recommendations

ellj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I want to upgrade the audio system on my boat ('16 AR192). I would like something mid-range/mid-price.

The Skar stuff (Skar SK65M speakers and Skar Audio RP-75.4ABM 500 Watt amp) has good reviews... but seems too good to be true for the price?

I hate spending money twice, so I'd rather not spend money on Skar and then wish I bought X later.

Wet Sounds has amazing reviews and reputation but I am not sure I want to drop that much coin (will probably upgrade to bigger boat when kids get bigger)

What is a solid mid-tier brand for speakers and amp between Skar and WS? I'm not an audiophile either, I just want something that is moderately intelligible to listen to while underway.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Skar is cheap Chinese garbage. Don't waste your money and buy something decent.

Rockford, JL, Wetsounds, Infinity, Jbl, there's lots to choose from. Personally, I'd go rockford or jl, some people like Polk but I've never been a fan of their stuff. I've used power acoustik stuff in my car, they offer a marine line that I'd consider, but i went rockford.

But yeah, I absolutely would not consider anything skar except maybe rca wires or something, and I'm a fan of bargain audio equipment.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a Rockville Amp and 8 inch Kickers on the tower. I bought it as package from Rockville for $400-500. Both the amp and speakers held up well, I upgraded to Wetsounds, and there is a clear difference, but for a couple hundred my old set up wasn’t bad.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The amplifiers are the engine of your stereo system. You are correct, do it once. If you don't want to drop the coin on JL or Wet sounds, I would have no problem using Rockford or Kicker

watdog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I could not see dropping 1-2K on the audio I use once every couple of weeks during boating season. Installed a Rockville amp with Skar and Polk speakers with a 10" Bazooka sub. 3rd season and it still rocks. Would I like to have all JL or Wetsounds, yes but for the price, I could replace the amp a few times.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a Rockville Amp and 8 inch Kickers on the tower. I bought it as package from Rockville for $400-500. Both the amp and speakers held up well, I upgraded to Wetsounds, and there is a clear difference, but for a couple hundred my old set up wasn’t bad.
Rockville or power acoustik would be my pick over skar anything.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I went with Kicker, the admiral would have made me walk the plank if she would have seen a Cc bill for wet sounds. Kicker is good quality at a midrange price. No problems with the system at all. You won’t be disappointed

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With the limitations on Yamaha's charging system you want to use an amp that's not power hungry, so you want a class D amp. You will also want to invest in a second battery if you already don't have one. The Skar amp you linked is a class AB amp and not a marine amp. If you don't care about using a car amp I'd suggest Rockford Fosgate's Prime series amps. I trailer my boat so I had no issues running car amps in my Yamaha. If you want to spend money once and not have any regrets then Wetsounds is the way to go.

motomark73

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For speakers, Kicker 45KM series coaxials are almost certainly your sweet spot. However, really nice deal on these Fusions at Crutchfield if you can make the 8.8 fit. Fusion SG-FL88SP (Chrome Sport Grille)

Spend some money on a decent amp. If you are freshwater only many people get away with car amps for years and years with no issues; way more options, way less expensive per watt. In saltwater environment, JL Audio and Wet Sounds are likely the right answer, but not real budget friendly. You can get the WS Syn-dx series priced very well from Babbitts or Yamaha Sports Plaza, BoatID, etc. Newer Rockford Fosgate amps seem to be solid but lack long term feedback. Arc Audio is good also- they are involved in all Wet sounds amps and have their own marine line. On a budget, look into motorcycle and side by side stuff. Soundigital has a very solid following in motorcycle audio, which honestly is similar in demands to jet boats. The EVOX line is non marine, the EVOPS is marine equivalent, even though targeted at side by side market. It's not necessarily audiophile grade but it gets loud inexpensively. Even a very low wattage amp will make a significant difference vs head unit only.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
can confirm Kicker speakers are worth every penny. I went with 4 kickers + a BOSS 500W amp all for under $500US. Im not the loudest on the beach, but we have no problem hearing music while outside of the boat in the water.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Kicker or refurbished WS from creative audio. Have kicker in my truck and boat it is a great mid value brand

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Yamaha Wet Sounds amps are limited in performance and you cant adjust settings. Your better off getting direct then the Yamaha one.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is not the amp that comes in your boat from the factory, that amp is a totally different part number. The factory amp has different wiring connections and is a DSP amp, the part numbers I posted and that are posted in the thread I linked are accessory part numbers.
If you don't believe goto a Yamaha parts website and look up the part number for the factory amp most of them start with an F, then look up an amp under the accessory page and they start with SBT. The amp will be in my hands in about 2 weeks and I'll post a picture it.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@jacoviii was the one who found out about the WS amps being an accessory and may be able to share his experience.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Who cares if it's refurbished, it has the same warranty. Sorry my suggestion didn't appease you🤣🤣. If he is balling on a budget I doubt he wants to spend $600 on amp alone. Not everybody is trying to be Johnny look at me on the sandbar

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Who cares if it's refurbished, it has the same warranty. Sorry my suggestion didn't appease you🤣🤣. If he is balling on a budget I doubt he wants to spend $600 on amp alone. Not everybody is trying to be Johnny look at me on the sandbar
I only meant to make the point that you could buy new using the Yamaha accessory part number for less than you can but a refurbished amp from an authorized dealer.