• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another Clean-Out Plug Thread

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
There has been lots of discussion about water on top of the clean-out plugs and that its fairly normal. Many people believe that water gets into the inspection port area from the swim platform when stopping, etc. and it fills the clean-out access tube.

I used to subscribe to that theory as well.... until I purchased the 275SD. The inspection access covers and clean-out ports sit pretty high up off the swim-platform. You would need to stop dead from 50mph or have a 3 foot wave come over the back of the boat to get water on top of the clean-out plugs. When I first started using the boat I had water on top of my clean out plugs. I wasn't too worried about it since I had seen this with previous Yamaha boats.

However, I had at one time theorized that water getting on top of the clean-out plugs was from some blow-by getting past the plugs. I might have now just confirmed that this is actually the case.

Before my 10-hour service, I was getting water on top of my clean-out plugs. No big deal... and I would just remove the plugs and let the water drain after ever outing. After I had my 10-hour service, I noticed the dealer coated the clean-out plugs in bees wax (aka a toilet base gasket). After the 10-hour service and the bees wax around the clean-out plugs.... no more water on top of the clean-out plugs.

As I got closer to the 30-hours I started getting water on top of the clean-out plugs again and I could see the bees wax was starting to fade away around the plugs. I was using some waterproof lube on my clean-out plugs that I also had used use on pool pump o-rings before the bees wax. Trouble with that lube is that it is tough to get it to stay on the clean-out plugs.

I have now switched to bees wax and it sticks much better to the clean-out plugs and also lasts longer. I also stopped getting water on top of my plugs again so it appears the bees wax not only lubricates the plugs but helps keeps them sealed to prevent any blow-by from the pump. At least that's my theory of how water gets on the tops of my clean-out plugs on the 275.

When I start to see water on top of my plugs again, that is going to be my singnal to coat the plugs with bees wax again.

Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 1.17.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-20 at 1.18.11 PM.png

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
And at $2 at Home Depot its cheap! I am using pool o-ring lube too and noticed it doesn't last very long, Imma give this a shot. Thanks!

gthorson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
So glad to read this, thanks a ton. I have noticed similarly that if I make sure the plug rubber and seats are well cleaned I am less likely to get water ont top. So I want to follow your recommendation. Are you really buying a toilet gasket and applying with your fingers? Or is there a beeswax product in a tube that you would recommend?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Always wondered the same question. I thought it was due to me launching on steeper ramps that caused water to go up the swim platform and on top of the plug.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interesting I started using bees wax about 35 or so years ago when I replaced impellers in the lower units of outboard engines so the impellers would be lubed and last longer I was surprised that a year later I could still feel the wax and I know I have posted about using the wax for numerous applications including this one and for nozzle pivot points as well as cables over the past years here and on other websites and forums I also told people to use it to prevent the cleanout plug from sticking and refusing to come loose . https://jetboaters.net/search/630458/?q=bees+wax&c[users]=Cobra+Jet+Steering+LLC&o=relevance

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
And at $2 at Home Depot its cheap! I am using pool o-ring lube too and noticed it doesn't last very long, Imma give this a shot. Thanks!
$2 !! Forget that! I am going to remove one of my toilets and use that wax ring. Sorry Honey the Boat comes first. lol.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
So glad to read this, thanks a ton. I have noticed similarly that if I make sure the plug rubber and seats are well cleaned I am less likely to get water ont top. So I want to follow your recommendation. Are you really buying a toilet gasket and applying with your fingers? Or is there a beeswax product in a tube that you would recommend?
I really use a toilet base wax ring gasket and apply it with my fingers. I put on a pair of disposable gloves and grab some from the ring and wipe it thoroughly around the clean-out plugs. I make sure to get it well into the groves and around all of the surface area where the plug will seat.

You can get other bees wax products off Amazon but they are usually a little more expensive than a toilet base gasket because they are cosmetic grade. The toilet wax rings run from $2 (as AlpharettaRK said at Home Depot) to $5.

Last edited:

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is water on top of the plugs bad?

gthorson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
The biggest problem with it is that it drives me nuts wondering where the water came from. Otherwise, when doing the clean/drain/dry it is annoying to have to reach down into a pool of water to pull the plug.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Plugs should be pulled out, flushed and left out after every use. Not sure what the big deal about having water on them is.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as mentioned above, water is not bad unless you never take your plugs out, the small sediment and minerals will start to form a cement over a very long time,

on our older style plugs the common best practice is to remove the plugs after each outing, return them to the locked position (to take pressure off the internal spring) and leave them on top of your cleanout tray ready to be reinstalled at the beginning of your next trip

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
as mentioned above, water is not bad unless you never take your plugs out, the small sediment and minerals will start to form a cement over a very long time,

on our older style plugs the common best practice is to remove the plugs after each outing, return them to the locked position (to take pressure off the internal spring) and leave them on top of your cleanout tray ready to be reinstalled at the beginning of your next trip
Thats what I do after every outing. Pull the plug and reset the cobra ez locks. Never thought it was an issue that required a $100 riser or carrying bee's wax.

ahenderson432

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thats what I do after every outing. Pull the plug and reset the cobra ez locks. Never thought it was an issue that required a $100 riser or carrying bee's wax.
I think the concern for most as well as myself is "why" is there water on top of the clean-out plug. I just took out my 2024 255xd and only have water on top of the Starboard Clean Out Plug. Is the cavitation is hear at times due to the plug not staying sealed and water passing by the plug? I like the design mindset behind the Clean Out Plug concept but am concerned with performance and durability if the Jet Pump Pressure is too much for these plugs.

I plan on putting a GoPro inside the compartment next trip out to get conclusive evidence of the origination of the water. I will post what I find.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does anybody know the PSI in the jet? 180HP forcing water thru 6+/- inches has to create some high pressure. Doesn’t seem like a fatal sin if a few ounces seep through.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
the cleanout is before the pump not after, it the force in the intake tube is from the boat moving forward at speed that is where the water leaks from. The old plugs were like a rocket launching when they blew but only from the force of the water when the boat was moving fast through it

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for clarification!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Occasional cavitation is usually caused by a few weeds in the intake , especially if you just launched and used reverse to get off the trailer etc, since the water will stirr up the botom and the boat then backs over that dirty area as opposed to going forward and leaving the trash behined the boat away from the intake.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In the past my ports would fill with water.
The picture is looking into the clean-out port with the plug removed.
The red circle is where the clean-out plug seals in the port. I put bee's wax in the groove where the clean-out plug seals in the port.
After installing the bee's wax the ports were almost dry.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other