• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR 230 5 Dollar Bimini Mod ( Maybe can adapt to other models ) Finished mod and final results.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good thinking! :winkingthumbsup"

That Port side strap always annoyed me when opening or closing the windshield door.
Same here! Also leaning over the windshield to clip it is tough for us tall guys and almost impossible for the female first mates. This new location looks so much better than the factory location I'm already thinking about ways to do this without having to go buy a tig welder :rolleyes:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would have to enlist/draft a friend with a tig or mig welder because Even if I had a welder I don't have the skills to use it.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would have to enlist/draft a friend with a tig or mig welder because Even if I had a welder I don't have the skills to use it.
Oh, I already have a $1000 mig welder that I don't have the skills to use. This is a job for a tig though....

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same here! Also leaning over the windshield to clip it is tough for us tall guys and almost impossible for the female first mates. This new location looks so much better than the factory location I'm already thinking about ways to do this without having to go buy a tig welder :rolleyes:
Ok lets look at the options, Firstly i would get all the bits together ie 2 x Stainless Bolts and spring washers and 2 x stainless 6m Eye nuts, Now i would then have a look in my local directory for a company that produces Security gates shutters etc they will all have a Tig Welder, Failing that local Garage workshop exhaust company, Local Marina, Someone repairs there stainless props, It's a 5 minute job so your not causing any inconvenience, Truck workshops are always a useful place to try they will have a Tig and I've always found them very obliging only to willing to help out, Forget the new securing straps you can use your old ones for now and make new ones at a later date, Ask them not to let any weld go onto the flats of the bolts as you need them for tightening.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like that web site!
Make sure there stainless, The one they show is mild steel cast self colored, There the ones i could find over here i was just concerned about the salt water getting to them so i made some stainless ones to make sure.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ronnie, I'm sure there are companies around you that have a Tig Welder that they will use to weld for 5 minutes for you.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been on the water for the last 2 days just checking everything to make sure there are no problems with this mod, I have left the old Bimini straps in place just neatly rolled them up and tucked them through the loop of the new strap and they stay quite secure under the front of the Bimini, You may still want to use them for wrapping around the Bimini when you collapse it and fit the cover with the Yamaha insignia after you have finished and take the Boat out of the water, I took the Boat up to 45 mph with the new straps on just for a short time to check thoroughly and had no problems at all everything remained nice and secure, I have included some Photos for you to see what i did with the old straps and also so you can see the comparison between the size of the new webbing and the old ones, Any questions please don't hesitate to ask i think i have covered everything and given the mod a good test but see what you think, Good luck.

IMG_2850.JPG

You can see the difference in the size of the webbing the original is on the right.

IMG_2852.JPG

I used larger swivel eye snaps also.

IMG_2861.JPG
As you can see the old strap can be rolled up and neatly put through the new loop and then clip the original swivel eye over it
and tuck it under the Bimini it will remain there and not move.

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG IMG_2860.JPG

Ok i think i have covered all eventualities with this mod and i feel happy with the results that have been achieved, I have no problem with the walk through window anymore which was always annoying with it catching on the securing strap when you wanted to open it and now i have plenty of clearance, I have taken the Boat well above the speed recommended with the Bimini in place and i can safely say i had no problems, It has had 2 days constant use and even the old straps tucked under the Bimini haven't moved so i hope you like the mod and maybe will try it for yourself it's very easy and as i have said before you don't have to make new straps the original straps can be used and just fold the excess neatly under the Bimini out of the way, I just made the new ones so you could see how to do it if you decide to have a go, Ok good luck and enjoy your Boating, It's a 6 day national Holiday here in Thailand and many locals are relaxing on the Beach with the Children, I'm off to the Islands to do a spot of Fishing and maybe think of the next mod.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure there stainless, The one they show is mild steel cast self colored, There the ones i could find over here i was just concerned about the salt water getting to them so i made some stainless ones to make sure.
Great point, SS for sure! I was just doing a quick search, but didn't have much time to find the proper part....besides, I'm not sure of the thread size.
I asked a buddy who owns a small machine shop if he'd be interested in making a bunch of these if there is an interest. Is there?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great point, SS for sure! I was just doing a quick search, but didn't have much time to find the proper part....besides, I'm not sure of the thread size.
I asked a buddy who owns a small machine shop if he'd be interested in making a bunch of these if there is an interest. Is there?
The size you want is 11/16 AF 1 x 3/4 long and 2 washers 2 x 6 mil eye nuts all stainless, Any DIY place should stock them and just weld them together.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The size you want is 11/16 AF 1 x 3/4 long and 2 washers 2 x 6 mil eye nuts all stainless, Any DIY place should stock them and just weld them together.
Thank you Sir!
Have a wonderful time fishing. And be safe out there ;)

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you Sir!
Thanks for that, If you cant find anyone to weld them give me a shout and i will make some more and send them to you.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ronnie, I'm sure there are companies around you that have a Tig Welder that they will use to weld for 5 minutes for you.
Glassman says he will Tig them for you Ronnie I've given you the sizes already.

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am surprised no one mentioned JB Weld ! Gotta be some Farmers out there!

I don't have a Tig but I have a Mig but I also have a tap and die set so I may look at cutting some metric threads in an eye hook if I can find one that will work

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you Sir!
I am glad someone knew what 11/16 AF1 x 3/4 bolt was? For the rest of us how does this translate into metric size and pitch?

Thanks

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I am glad someone knew what 11/16 AF1 x 3/4 bolt was? For the rest of us how does this translate into metric size and pitch?

Thanks
It's not Metric it's AF ( American Fine ) that is the thread and pitch, Do not try and fit metric you will cross thread and have all sorts of problems, You can always remove the existing Alan bolt and take it with you for the supplier to check.