• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR 230 5 Dollar Bimini Mod ( Maybe can adapt to other models ) Finished mod and final results.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As luck would have it and as i use my Boat quite a lot i usually give it a good once over about every month to 6 weeks, I was returning home about 3 days ago and a gust of wind broke my Bimini deck loop so i did the quick repair and tied the strap around the Wake tower and carried on home, After replacing both deck loops it got me thinking about how i can mod this and here's what i came up with, Total cost about 5 dollars and a lot stronger and never to break again.

IMG_2803.JPG IMG_2802.JPG

Here's the offending part
IMG_2828.JPG IMG_2839.JPG

Parts required, 2 x new stainless bolts and spring washers and 2 x 6 mil stainless Eye Nuts

IMG_2821.JPG
A little stainless welding

IMG_2832.JPG
Completed item.

IMG_2805.JPG
Remove that old mild steel Alan screw from the Wake tower and replace it

IMG_2834.JPG
Replace it with a new stainless Bolt that does 2 jobs, A lot stronger and also no long straps to worry about just take up the slack and loop it at the top through itself and it's really strong and shorter and you can always revert back to the old way if you want to.

IMG_2836.JPG
I replaced the eye deck loop for a new stainless one

IMG_2838.JPG

I'm well pleased with that and being shorter it's a lot stronger and no flapping or having to move it slightly when opening the walk through door, let me know what you think, Total cost around 5 dollars.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very creative @Geoff Cooper, It looks like it came that way from the factory.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nice job!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good thinking! :winkingthumbsup"

That Port side strap always annoyed me when opening or closing the windshield door.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A worthy mod!! Cam

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think your forgot to include the the $1000+ for the tig welder :) Looks like I'm gonna have to buy one and do this mod.

-Steve

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @Geoff Cooper ... Like @Ronnie said: "Very creative @Geoff Cooper, It looks like it came that way from the factory."

I liked the QUALITY of this mod. Really really nice, and an excellent model for others to follow.
So, Geoff, you're not just some good looking guy in a hat that likes to boat "over there" now are ya ?
LOL ! Take care, Mikey Lulejian - On an overcast and RAINY Saturday on Lake Oconee, GA

PS - Oh !
And the fact that for ONCE this mod costs ONLY FIVE DOLLARS ! Almost unbelievable ........ LOL ! Like a good nickel cigar !

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok well I'm pleased to say i gave the Boat a real good run today after doing that Bimini mod and all went really well, There was no flapping and the Bimini remained tight, I exceeded the recommended speed with the Bimini in place and it was no problem at all, It also allows plenty of room for the door to open without it fouling on the Bimini securing strap, I did about 70 miles and it proved a great success i can really recommend it, here's a few Photos so you can see.

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG IMG_1920.JPG

Ok i hope you can see the results, The mod works well and very secure also.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey @Geoff Cooper ... Like @Ronnie said: "Very creative @Geoff Cooper, It looks like it came that way from the factory."

I liked the QUALITY of this mod. Really really nice, and an excellent model for others to follow.
So, Geoff, you're not just some good looking guy in a hat that likes to boat "over there" now are ya ?
LOL ! Take care, Mikey Lulejian - On an overcast and RAINY Saturday on Lake Oconee, GA

PS - Oh !
And the fact that for ONCE this mod costs ONLY FIVE DOLLARS ! Almost unbelievable ........ LOL ! Like a good nickel cigar !
Overcast and rainy what's all that about Mickey, I appreciate your comments but as for the Hat I'm afraid my heads a Solar Panel for a sex machine LOL, Just thought I'd send you a few Photos of Today's Boating conditions just to piss you off, Check out the Sea temperature,

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG IMG_2008.JPG IMG_2033.JPG

Just stopped for Lunch and a swim and some snorkeling , Oh it's a hard life but someones got to do it.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very creative @Geoff Cooper, It looks like it came that way from the factory.
Thanks for that Ronnie it works really well, I can't understand why they never did this at the Factory the mod was staring them in the face, They must have seen a problem when the door was opened and it fouled on the securing strap but nothing was done.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think your forgot to include the the $1000+ for the tig welder :) Looks like I'm gonna have to buy one and do this mod.

-Steve
Steve just buy the parts and pop into your local welding shop I'm sure they will oblige for a few Dollars, It's only 5 minutes work.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good thinking! :winkingthumbsup"

That Port side strap always annoyed me when opening or closing the windshield door.
Yes your right it's very annoying but this mod completely eliminates that problem you can see on the new Photos there is plenty of clearance

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
........ a few Photos of Today's Boating conditions just to piss you off, ........ Oh it's a hard life but someones got to do it.
It DID, Geoff ........... LOL !

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Steve just buy the parts and pop into your local welding shop I'm sure they will oblige for a few Dollars, It's only 5 minutes work.
Shhhh don't tell my wife. As far as she knows, all projects require investments in tools :)

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Shhhh don't tell my wife. As far as she knows, all projects require investments in tools :)
Now THAT is funny !!!!!!!!!!!! Really good one !@!!!! :thumbsup: [flag] :winkingthumbsup"
Many Thanks, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA !

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok i have established that this mod works well but just to finish the job i decided to make some new securing straps just to complete it so off i went down to the trim shop and got some new black webbing strap and some belt buckles and 2 x swivel eye snaps in stainless, My next port of call was another trim shop but this one solely deals in making seats and covers and Bimini tops etc if any of you follow my other Post about trips to Bangkok this Guy was the one that repaired my Boat cover, I needed some machine work doing so i went there, He charged me a dollar, Total price of complete mod including new webbing and fittings around 15 dollars, You don't actually need to make new straps you can use the old ones but i like thing's right and there not expensive to make, Here's some Photos for you.

IMG_2840.JPG IMG_2841.JPG

Connecting the webbing to the swivel eye snaps

IMG_2844.JPG

The plastic buckles

IMG_2842.JPG IMG_2843.JPG IMG_2845.JPG

All made up and finished , I used a slightly wider webbing than the original just for added strength, I will fit them on the Boat tomorrow and take a few Photos for you to have a look at of the finished item, It's late afternoon now in Thailand and I've been running around all day sorting this job out and cleaning my Jeep after a short trip to North Thailand where it hit 42 degrees, I said in my other post that it will start to get warmer now it will be 45 soon I'm sure, Great Boating weather with the sea at 30 + already it's like having a hot bath.

Last edited: