• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

break-in period (or not)

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What potential damage could be done by running the engine above no wake during the break in period? Looking at this boat for sale 2020 AR240

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

I know it says time since last maintenance, but seller confirmed those are the total hours too.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am very cautious and extending the break in period to around 10 hours, I also use a slow warm up period each time I go out , I have 860 hours on my 2014 models and did the same for my 2021 models.

Yamahadrvr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
What potential damage could be done by running the engine above no wake during the break in period? Looking at this boat for sale 2020 AR240

View attachment 145904

View attachment 145905

I know it says time since last maintenance, but seller confirmed those are the total hours too.
From the 2020 manual. "For the first 5 minutes, operate with engines at trolling speed. For the next 30 minuets, operate with the engines speed below 5000 r/min. For the next 1 hour, operate with the engines speed below 6000 r/min. After the engine break-in is complete, the boat can be operated normally."

FLJetBoater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
From the 2020 manual. "For the first 5 minutes, operate with engines at trolling speed. For the next 30 minuets, operate with the engines speed below 5000 r/min. For the next 1 hour, operate with the engines speed below 6000 r/min. After the engine break-in is complete, the boat can be operated normally."
Thank you! I thought the break in period was much longer than that at trolling speed

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I do it old school where you do not stay at any one rpm constantly varying them and gradually increasing the speed but never opening it up until 5 hours and keeping it at the lower speed ranges up to 10 hours and then kick it in the butt.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The dealers take the boats WOT prior to delivery to sync the throttles...at least I know mine did (and 100’s of other boats they’ve delivered over the years)..

My 19 AR210 had a max speed of ~46 when I picked it up with .1 hours on it.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length

View attachment 145904

View attachment 145905

@FLJetBoater ..... it is hard to actually damage an engine during break-in unless someone is a complete a$$ as in running the engine(s) flat out or gunning it up and down waves creating abusive on and off loading of the engine when brand new. That said, running beyond the recommended RPM bands for the first hour or so can significantly shorten the life of an engine. Non-supercharged 1.8L Yamaha jet engines should be broken-in thus: first five minutes at trolling speed, next 30 minutes <5000 RPM, next hour < 6000 RPM. While I was in the <5000RPM designation I would rum the RPMs gently up and down the on-plane speed of approximately 3500 RPM to <5000RPM. While in the <6000RPM designation I would run the RPMs gently up and down the RPM band from on-plane RPMs of approximately 3500 RPM to < 6000 RPM. As has been suggested I on this thread by others I would extend that usage to at least 10 hours and avoid "flat-out" running for the first 10 hours. If my dealer ran my new engines at flat-out RPM to synch the throttles I would kick his A$$ down the dock and throw his remains into the water - this should only be done after the 10 hour period. I have owned numerous twin engine boats and never had a dealer run the engines flat out during break-in. BTW there is a considerably different process for breaking-in supercharged Yamaha jet engines. :cool:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Years ago there was a video of the Yamaha factory guys whose job was to water test every new boat manufactured. They would drop it in the lake next to the factory and hammer down the throttles for a quick trip. Put it on the trailer and send it off. Not sure if they still do that. I guess the guys getting the new boats could check their hours and max speed prior to taking delivery.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I do it old school where you do not stay at any one rpm constantly varying them and gradually increasing the speed but never opening it up until 5 hours and keeping it at the lower speed ranges up to 10 hours and then kick it in the butt.
just like dirt bike, helps the ring to sit better

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Years ago there was a video of the Yamaha factory guys whose job was to water test every new boat manufactured. They would drop it in the lake next to the factory and hammer down the throttles for a quick trip. Put it on the trailer and send it off. Not sure if they still do that. I guess the guys getting the new boats could check their hours and max speed prior to taking delivery.
@buckbuck ....wow, that surprises me. One of the reasons I do not like running an engine before the first oil change is that there are almost always engine casting and manufacturing contaminants in the engine that circulate in the oil. I like these removed before running at maximum RPM. Seating of rings is quite different with today's synthetic oils. While my experience with Yamaha information personnel and some dealerships makes me question their "general knowledge" of products I have a lot of faith in Yamaha engineers whose advice regarding the specific break-in of their products and the use of their recommended oils I tend to follow. FWIW I had a lengthy discussion with Mercury Engineers after purchasing my twin 502 HO 430HP Mercrusier Magnums. I questioned the use of their synthetic brand as compared with Amsoil, royal purple Kendal, Mobil etc. The reply I got was our oils are made by some of the same refineries as those you mentioned. We start with some of the base platform and add ingredients specific to the best operation and longevity of our engines based on the metals we use and the specific chemical parameters of out catalytic converters. The other oils you mention are all fine but we believe our oil is best suited to our engines and we have thousands of hours of research to reach this conclusion. Yamaha states much the same (in the manual we get with our boat). I believe that comment and even though I am ocd about the oil and filter I use and the change interval I believe using exotic oils with our products is not necessary and possibly a waste of money. :cool:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The dealers take the boats WOT prior to delivery to sync the throttles
"Sync the throttles"? There's nothing to sync as the non-E series are totally cable operated to the APS sensors which control the throttle bodies, and the only sync you get is when you put the port and starboard throttles at the same APS position so they engines are running at the same RPM.
at least I know mine did (and 100’s of other boats they’ve delivered over the years)..
I highly doubt that. If they do, it's time to find a smarter dealer. Or one that isn't full of s#it.

Mine never saw water until I put it in the lake. The keys were still in the documents package when we picked it up. When we went to see it, it was still wrapped new with 0.1 hours from the factory. I think the factory starts them to make sure they run and that's it. First time I started the boat, you could hear it "loosen up" when idling at the dock as the RPMs gradually increased from 1100 to 1300. Now when I start it up, it fires up and idles at 1300 every time.
Most likely they towed the boat somewhere with the battery switch on and the sensor picked up the windspeed. 0.1 hours is six minutes...you really think someone drove it cold and new at 46mph? It would take more than six minutes to get out on the water and back to the dock. 0.1 is the minimum time the system can record so it's more likely it was only started with the hose in the factory.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Years ago there was a video of the Yamaha factory guys whose job was to water test every new boat manufactured.
I don't think so...the video is of one boat being tested. Probably a new hull design or new engines and they were testing it for performance. There's no evidence they lake test each boat...but there is some evidence they fire them up at the factory to make sure they run properly before departure. Every new boat we looked at, Yamaha and BRP powered, had about the same few minutes on the display. None had 0.2 (12 minutes) or higher that we saw. Never saw one with 0.0 either. The boats are shipped with oil from the factory, but no batteries - to avoid hazardous materials shipping requirements.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Only the first five minutes needs to stay at idle speeds, after that you can run it up 5k for 30 mins, then 6k for an hour, then WOT. Did the previous owner say they broke it in or no?
On the second screen image, you can scroll down to the bottom where the total engine hours is recorded and you can't reset it. Hitting reset all only resets the consumption and other numbers, not the total hours. Only way to change the hours is to replace the ECM for the engine. Click below to see larger:

12 hours.jpg

I'd be more concerned with the batteries - they're quite low 12.0v is just below 50% and 12.2v is only 60% which means they have not been on a charger for a while. I'd request new batteries for the boat when making the deal.
:D

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
"Sync the throttles"? There's nothing to sync as the non-E series are totally cable operated to the APS sensors which control the throttle bodies, and the only sync you get is when you put the port and starboard throttles at the same APS position so they engines are running at the same RPM.

I highly doubt that. If they do, it's time to find a smarter dealer. Or one that isn't full of s#it.

Mine never saw water until I put it in the lake. The keys were still in the documents package when we picked it up. When we went to see it, it was still wrapped new with 0.1 hours from the factory. I think the factory starts them to make sure they run and that's it. First time I started the boat, you could hear it "loosen up" when idling at the dock as the RPMs gradually increased from 1100 to 1300. Now when I start it up, it fires up and idles at 1300 every time.

Most likely they towed the boat somewhere with the battery switch on and the sensor picked up the windspeed. 0.1 hours is six minutes...you really think someone drove it cold and new at 46mph? It would take more than six minutes to get out on the water and back to the dock. 0.1 is the minimum time the system can record so it's more likely it was only started with the hose in the factory.
The dealer took my boat out on a lake test before I picked it up and hit 46 mph during that test run...In the case of an AR210 they synced the throttles.

You could hear the engine “loosen up” when idling- Where do you guys come up with this nonsense? lol You actually think the rpms rose 200 rpms due to “ loosening up”? Most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard...

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The dealer took my boat out on a lake test before I picked it up and hit 46 mph during that test run...In the case of an AR210 they synced the throttles.

You could hear the engine “loosen up” when idling- Where do you guys come up with this nonsense? lol You actually think the rpms rose 200 rpms due to “ loosening up”? Most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard...
@Brad460 ..... any dealer who took a new boat out and ran it up to WOT is an idiot. Read my post wherein my neighbour won a lawsuit where a moron who bought a couple of high performance outboards from him did just that - then when they started burning copious amounts of oil at about 25 hours he tried to sue the dealer (my neighbour). My neighbour printed the data from his engines and told him to f-off. He never heard from that idiot again. When I bought my 2020 SX195 it had about about enough time for the factory to turn it on in a test bay. It had not been run above 2000 RPM - yes I downloaded the data. The boat was in the water for our water test. I started it and - with the page open in the user's manual on break-in procedure - I did just that. When I purchased my last big cruiser with twin 502 HO 430 HP Magnums it was written on the sales agreement OWNER WILL BE PRESENT AT BOAT'S LAUNCH - PRIOR TO THAT THE ENGINES WILL NOT BE STARTED - KEYS TO BE RETAINED BY SALESPERSON - ANY OTHER ACTION VOIDS THE SALE. Just in case some moron wanted to run up the RPMs on a little rip around the lake. Running a new engine at WOT before it's break-in hours are complete is IMO ridiculous. :cool:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would not have accepted the boat and demand a new one...they're idiots. And there is nothing to sync with the throttles. You can adjust the slack of the cable for WOT but a new boat doesn't need that done - it's set at the factory. Once it gets some wear and the cables loosen up you might see the APS not fully opening. The E-series have a sync option, but the dealer doesn't need to do anything with the throttles unless they damaged them.
Yup been around new builds a long time...they definitely do loosen up or settle in the rings in the first minutes of operation. That's why you idle them for 5 minutes before you rev it at all, nevermind going WOT. I've never heard of any motor not needing a break-in period.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The dealers take the boats WOT prior to delivery to sync the throttles...at least I know mine did (and 100’s of other boats they’ve delivered over the years)..

Your dealer is a clown. That is absurd that they do that to brand new boats before breakin. Perhaps share the dealers name so other members here can steer clear or at the very least let them know up front not to do that to their boat.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
The 255 XD/E states that the break-in period need to only be 1 hour and 35 minutes then the boat can operate normally.

Maybe I’m old school, but even on my 2016 with 325 hours, I never go hard on it from the start. I let it idle on the dock for several minutes (while settling in) then just enough speed for plain for 15 minutes before I decide to open it up.

Attachments

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is correct, even on the wave runners with the same engines, that is the break in period. On both of mine i followed the break in process to a T. Even after break in I don't just turn it on and run it full throttle either. I have my idle time at the dock like you and usually a long enough no-wake zone to bring it up to a good temp range. Key is bringing your engine up to temp in my opinion.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The 255 XD/E states that the break-in period need to only be 1 hour and 35 minutes then the boat can operate normally.

Maybe I’m old school, but even on my 2016 with 325 hours, I never go hard on it from the start. I let it idle on the dock for several minutes (while settling in) then just enough speed for plain for 15 minutes before I decide to open it up.
@Khalid ..... a well-known engine builder used to advise warming the engine(s) up to operating temperature then easing up the RPMs gradually even AFTER the engine was "broken-in". Also - running a new engine hard in the first 10 hours of its life is a sure way to shorten its life and create problems down the line. :cool: