• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fore! Golf ball removal

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess my point is that Giddyupjoe has impellers that are much more rounded. Seems Yamaha changed them for the bigger engines in the 240 series boats.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce from all my reading, you have been the only one to mention the Molly 60 when I put the pump shaft in. Do I just generously rub it on the end of the impeller shaft? I guess... can I put to much on? Or just a little dab will do ya kind of thing?

Thanks for all your help.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe, you can see the a residue of the factory grease on the splines. The service manual documents using some almost unobtainable high moly Yamaha grease. I tried at least 10 places to only have one say that they could order the Yamaha grease and then call back to say that they could not.

I stuck the spline into the honda moly 60 grease tube then used a paper towel to spread it around a little. Be careful not to get it on your hands as it is very hard to get off.

I only put it on the spline area. I believe the purpose of the grease is to prevent the shaft getting stuck in and the reason for the high moly grease is because it is so hard to wash off.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce, thanks. My only issue may be getting it by thursday morning. I have to continue calling more places tonight. Or have it overnighted via amazon. If for whatever reason I am not able to get it in time, will I be good to just reassemble and then come back in the fall and remove/relube both units. I have roughly 255 hours on the boat.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe, I ordered mine from Amazon.

I think the worst case scenario would be that the shaft would get stuck causing you to need to use more force to get it out later. One member has that issue now. I have seen a video where a dealer removes and reinstalls the pumps without applying any grease or the special anti seize to the bolts. So you certainly would not be the first to skip it and probably better than most if you pull the pumps and lube them in the fall.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The service manual for my LS calls for Molybdenum Disulfide Grease. This grease is specifically for: Extreme-Pressure Grease Lubricates High Loads, Non-Corrosive, Water-Resistant, Exhibiting Low-Friction Properties That Protect Against Wear In Difficult Operating Conditions.

This is available on Amazon and given the high pressure properties, I would see if you could get back to putting this grease on the splines when you can get to it. Pulling the pumps is easy once you do it the first time so you could do this as a follow up.

Good luck with the golf ball and pulling the impeller sounds like the way to go. You may find other strings on the shaft like I did when I pulled my pumps.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Typically I am not this anal about things but this is an important part of my boat and would like to get it right! If I am overthinking this from you all's experience please tell me to relax!

The service manual depicts Locktite 567 for the 4 bolts connecting the pump assembly to the hull. Has anyone else purchased this or should I just grab the red or blue Locktite from the local auto store?

Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 6.04.06 PM.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've used both red and blue on the pump bolts and have not had issues with either.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe, Loctite 567 is a sealant.

This is what I did

Then I applied some Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant to threads as a substitute for the Loctite® 567 requested in the service manual.

If you disassemble the pump many other parts require thread sealant and Yamalube Molybdenum Disulfide Grease is needed on the shaft. I substituted Honda Moly Grease which I was able to locate.

I also used a light coating of Life Caulk to form a seal between the pump housing parts. RTV or some other sealant had been applied at the factory.
More info at https://jetboaters.net/threads/impeller-bearings-trashed-pics.2822/#post-45245

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
How

Its a driving range ball....with that red stripe.....right??
Hopefully I can verify that on Thursday, but I believe you are correct. I'm just thankful it doesn't look like one of my golfballs... If my kids tossed a golf ball down the clean out port to be funny... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I thought this was a cool video from @JetBoatPilot I use this as a depth benchmark vs the Yamaha 14 or 18" statement

Wow, from the looks of the video, the stars must have allinged just at the right moment on Sunday afternoon.

My throttles were in the forward position and I was set at No Wake mode #1 the entire channel. It had to be deeper than 2.6' as that is when the alarm will sound and it did not sound at all prior to this mishap. I assume 3" because that is pretty standard at our lake.

Unless someone Tee'ed it up under water or the fact that they were dredging that channel and that could have stirred some stuff up on the bottom.

Thanks for the info @justason

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Typically I am not this anal about things but this is an important part of my boat and would like to get it right! If I am overthinking this from you all's experience please tell me to relax!

The service manual depicts Locktite 567 for the 4 bolts connecting the pump assembly to the hull. Has anyone else purchased this or should I just grab the red or blue Locktite from the local auto store?

View attachment 10399
@Bruce is absolutely right, 567 is a sealant, not a thread locker. You don't need thread locker on those bolts, you need sealant. And just a good waterproof teflon sealant will work.

On the pump spline, that moly grease may be hard to find by brand, but like Bruce found, you can use other brands, or...go down to the yamaha shop and if they don't have any in a tube they can sell you, get them to fill a cup with some, because they have it in bulk in their shop.

Fairways and Greens my friend...sorry, couldn't resist!;)

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Bruce is absolutely right, 567 is a sealant, not a thread locker. You don't need thread locker on those bolts, you need sealant. And just a good waterproof teflon sealant will work.

On the pump spline, that moly grease may be hard to find by brand, but like Bruce found, you can use other brands, or...go down to the yamaha shop and if they don't have any in a tube they can sell you, get them to fill a cup with some, because they have it in bulk in their shop.

Fairways and Greens my friend...sorry, couldn't resist!;)
Thanks Mel, I finally signed up for Amazon Prime and had them overnight the Moly, should be here today.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Only God and Jack can hit a one iron!

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

View attachment 10399
I don't see the ball in the diagram??? Was it a stock option or a mod??

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I plan on pulling the pump tomorrow. I have no plans on tanking the plugs out and trying to spin the shaft prior. If for whatever reason I end up having to pull the plugs (don't think I will) what do I do about the crush washers when I reinstall the plugs? I don't have access to get new ones by tomorrow, am I safe reusing the current ones?