• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fore! Golf ball removal

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, that bad boy was JAMMED. Still don't know why. The splines were lubed and looked perfect. but I tried every other method I could think of before going to that as my last resort.
Thats amazing. As much as I enjoyed pulling my kids loose teeth in creative ways. Cant say I woul have considered that one for the boat

Last edited:

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can’t believe it, but I sucked up a golf ball today. It’s jammed in my impeller so it looks like I’ll have to remove the pump for the first time. This thread (and the video on page 2) has been extremely helpful - thanks to everyone who contributed to it!

Are there any additional steps that need to be taken for the 2020 model year boats? It’s the port side impeller, so the connection to the rudder isn’t an issue. Thanks in advance for any input.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Couldnt you just use a dremmel with long flexible extension shaft and cut or grind it out with a sanding heads, etc. ? Just a thought

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Couldnt you just use a dremmel with long flexible extension shaft and cut or grind it out with a sanding heads, etc. ? Just a thought
The ball is already in 1 sizable broken piece and wedged between the sharp side of the impeller and the pump housing (similar to the wood in the video on pg. 2). I guess it got chopped up by the impeller or was already cut before I sucked it up. I tried everything to pull it out today (I was able to get to it with needle nose pliers), and it isn’t budging, unfortunately.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pulling the pump is easy and much less likely to cause damage than a dremel inside the pump. You want everything in there to remain smooth.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had a Ar190 pulling the pump was a piece of cake. Pulling the pump on my 2020 212 the first time was a bitch, mainly the Stbd pump. Yamaha used a lot of black sealant where the pump meets the transom bulkhead (not sure the official name) i had to use a heat gun then I was able to pry it off. I didn't re-seal and haven't noticed any ill affect and when I need to remove my pump again it will be a piece of cake. Also, pull your pump to get you balls out 😉

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can’t believe it, but I sucked up a golf ball today. It’s jammed in my impeller so it looks like I’ll have to remove the pump for the first time. This thread (and the video on page 2) has been extremely helpful - thanks to everyone who contributed to it!

Are there any additional steps that need to be taken for the 2020 model year boats? It’s the port side impeller, so the connection to the rudder isn’t an issue. Thanks in advance for any input.
Just pull the pump....will take you 15 minutes and you'll know how to do it next time faster.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just pull the pump....will take you 15 minutes and you'll know how to do it next time faster.
Yup, I’ve resigned myself to pulling the pump.

Is the process to do that the same on the 2020 E-Series boats as the earlier generations? I’m using the video from earlier in the thread as my primary guide, and I don’t want to screw anything up.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had a Ar190 pulling the pump was a piece of cake. Pulling the pump on my 2020 212 the first time was a bitch, mainly the Stbd pump. Yamaha used a lot of black sealant where the pump meets the transom bulkhead (not sure the official name) i had to use a heat gun then I was able to pry it off. I didn't re-seal and haven't noticed any ill affect and when I need to remove my pump again it will be a piece of cake. Also, pull your pump to get you balls out 😉
Lol...thanks! What temp setting did you use on the heat gun? I don’t want to start melting stuff if I have to go that route, and it sounds like a better approach than taking a rubber mallet to it.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The video helps the newer pumps are different but the concept is the same.I used the heat gun sparingly i didn't want make anything worse. You might not need it, the port pump came off with little effort. I still needed to use a small pry bar to break the seal but nothing like the stbd pump, they used twice as much black sealant. One more thing. There is 4 large bolts and one small bolt holding the pump on to the transome plate (bulkhead) that is where you will see the sealant.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yup, I’ve resigned myself to pulling the pump.

Is the process to do that the same on the 2020 E-Series boats as the earlier generations? I’m using the video from earlier in the thread as my primary guide, and I don’t want to screw anything up.
Yup.... 5 bolts and one quick release (on the reverse gate connection)....easy peasy.

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I got all the screws out but the outer part of the pump won’t budge. Whatever they used to seal it is working like super glue. I can’t even wedge anything in there to try to pry it apart. Whatever they used, they used so much of it it oozed out (see pic).

I don’t have a heat gun with me to try to melt it. Any other ideas to get this thing off??

TIA.

Attachments

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Try a blow dryer 🤔

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Try a blow dryer 🤔
Lol...didn’t have one of those on me either. Will have to try the heat gun next time, I guess.

Here’s a pic showing the 3/4 golf ball in the impeller. CF837FC3-93DA-464E-AF85-DE3B7CB5FC85.jpeg

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I don't want to rain on your parade BUT you are going to need to remove the bolts circled in red. There should be five, four big and one small. I removed what you are struggling with now (white sealant) but it peal up real easy for me. I struggled with the black sealant. The good news is once you get it off (that's what she said 😆) your ball will come off 😆20210502_201648.jpg

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
This is the gun I bought from Amazon

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't want to rain on your parade BUT you are going to need to remove the bolts circled in red. There should be five, four big and one small. I removed what you are struggling with now (white sealant) but it peal up real easy for me. I struggled with the black sealant. The good news is once you get it off (that's what she said 😆) your ball will come off 😆View attachment 148640
Damn, I was afraid of that...thank you very much for the input! These newer models are quite different than the ‘14 model in the video.

How did you deal with getting the black sealant off / released?

Since the other bolts need to be removed, is it even necessary to have the bolts that I unscrewed off?

Thanks a lot for your help - I was concerned the process for the newer models was going to be different.

Last edited:

jim1

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is the gun I bought from Amazon
Looks very similar to the one I have. Do you remember what temp you heated it to?

Did you remove the reverse bucket to avoid it getting transfer heat and deforming?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Also I didn't re-seal when I re-installed, haven't noticed any issues and I've put 20 plus hours on the no seal. Never had to seal the old style.😎