• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hidden Ballast

str8jkn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Awesome thread so far. Thanks for pictures and video that you posted

I just picked up a 2016 AR192 and him going down the same path trying to surf behind this thing. Were you able to ever drop the rope and surf?

str8jkn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just saw the pics. Looks good. Did you have a wake shaper too?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just saw the pics. Looks good. Did you have a wake shaper too?
Wake shapers to this point haven't worked on these boats. The good thing about a single engine boat is we don't have the thrust issues going into the wave like the twin engine boats do. The twins require the Gantlin wake wedge to deflect the thrust from getting into the wave.

These boats require a little list to help shape the wave. I put 1400 lbs in my boat across the seats with a 60/40 split in weight distribution with more weight favoring the surf side and I get this wave...

image.jpeg

str8jkn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thx for the info. Can you ride that wave?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't get a chance to. Was borrowing some buddies bags and was out solo that day testing a DIY wake shaper.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty sure I could ride that wave no problem.

str8jkn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks like a good wave! Thx for the info as I was trying to figure out how much weight to put in it. Inland Curl is making a gen 2 version of their wake shaper specifically for the Yamaha jet boats. I was able to get one and tried it over the weekend. It cleaned the wake up. I had no ballast weight and it was noticeably cleaner.

It mounts on the bottom of the boat via suction cups and seems more like a trim tab. I wasn’t able to drop the rope but using that with your ballast recipe should make for a pretty nice wave. I’m going to get 2 800lb bags and I’ll let you know how it does.

Here is a link to the YouTube video I saw describing the gen 2 wake shaper.

JA

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks like a good wave! Thx for the info as I was trying to figure out how much weight to put in it. Inland Curl is making a gen 2 version of their wake shaper specifically for the Yamaha jet boats. I was able to get one and tried it over the weekend. It cleaned the wake up. I had no ballast weight and it was noticeably cleaner.

It mounts on the bottom of the boat via suction cups and seems more like a trim tab. I wasn’t able to drop the rope but using that with your ballast recipe should make for a pretty nice wave. I’m going to get 2 800lb bags and I’ll let you know how it does.

JA

This has come up before, here is some discussion of this new "system":
https://jetboaters.net/threads/has-anyone-seen-this-wake-shaper-yet.16809/#post-289459
Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath.

--

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

JA

Keep us posted, do you have any pictures or video?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

JA

Hmm wished you would have taken pics or a video. Others on here like @swatski have even had custom tabs made to sort of be designed like the GSA tabs and he said those didn't work out so not sure how a suction cup version of a tab would be any different. I will have to make one to see it work. Did they give you one to test or did you buy it? 1600 lbs of ballast would definitely build up the wave. However I'm guessing with using a tab you're going to weight the boat a little more evenly because if you install the tab opposite of the surf side and list the boat then less of what tab would be used. I was think of using the suction cups off the stern but have the tab come off the bottom but you're saying the suction cups actually went in yet bottom of the hull? How did that not mess up the flow of water and create ridges?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Found these pics. Interesting shape and location. Hmm I'll have to try this now.

IMG_8337.JPG IMG_8338.JPG

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

inlandcurlwakeshapers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Axis
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

JA

Thanks Joe! I can't wait to get some higher quality pictures and video from you. I'm glad to hear it helped clean up the wake. And adding some ballast will only make it better!