• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

chris24

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Interesting read. I had explored the whole South Island last year, and I don't remember any flies. I remember little tiny Sand Gnats would bite my ankles walking around the resort in the evening time.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There was a giant trash heap last summer as well. Resorts World has significantly increased the volume of trash created.

Zika is scary as is Chikungunya, Actually Chikungunya scares me more. I am not aware of either being contracted in Bimini. Both have been contracted elsewhere in the Caribbean. Bimini Sands new management did a great job of handling the mosquitos in 2015. I expect they will this year as well.

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Working on getting nav setup for the trip. What unit do you guys use and which map card?
I'm using a Samsung 8" Tablet with the Navionics app and I purchased a cup holder anti-vibration tablet mount! I already owned my tablet and the cup holder mount was $17.00 on ebay so I couldn't beat the price!

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm using a Samsung 8" Tablet with the Navionics app and I purchased a cup holder anti-vibration tablet mount! I already owned my tablet and the cup holder mount was $17.00 on ebay so I couldn't beat the price!

do you run a separate GPS receiver or do you use the gps on the tablet?

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No the app requires a GPS tablet to track your locations. The app was $49.00 and it covers A LOT of lakes even my small lake in my neighborhood is covered. It's updated regularly, so everyone said it does really well!

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No the app requires a GPS tablet to track your locations. The app was $49.00 and it covers A LOT of lakes even my small lake in my neighborhood is covered. It's updated regularly, so everyone said it does really well!
I have the navionics app on my phone and tablet so I've used it before. Just didn't know how well the gps on the tablet works out in the ocean. There's a Bluetooth gps antenna/receiver that the tablet pairs to that's supposed to work really well to increase GPS reception. Pilots use it for their tablets to track their flight path. Not entirely sure if I need it or not

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would say it's just fine from what friends tell me, but @Bruce should comment here or a few others who use this on their phones or tablets. This is all I'm going to use, if that helps!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Your phone & tablet should be just fine. Going there and back you will be in a group of boats so there should be plenty of GPS units for follow plus your own. Your phone & tablet will mainly be used around Bimini to find specific spots of interest, otherwise while there you will never be out of sight of land.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your phone & tablet should be just fine. Going there and back you will be in a group of boats so there should be plenty of GPS units for follow plus your own. Your phone & tablet will mainly be used around Bimini to find specific spots of interest, otherwise while there you will never be out of sight of land.
Isn't that what Skipper told Gilligan right before their cruise?:p

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used a Nexus 7 as a chart plotter for a year. It worked well except for a mount that failed in 3' seas at night leaving me holding a tablet in one hand the steering wheel in my second and the throttles in my third.

I prefer the less expensive tablet version of Navionics to the more expensive chart plotter version. However I bought a fixed chart plotter soon after the three handed experience.

Something to watch out for is that some tablets do not have GPS receivers. So make sure your does.

Also you should download the Navionics charts for areas you plan to travel in advance.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jim Hernandez has registered to captain H with a crew of two adults. They hail from the home port of Williamsburg Va.
Jim, there is information on how to make reservations in the first post of this thread.

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
30+ BOATS GOING THIS YEAR!!!! I didn't even bother to count the number of people! WOW! It's going to be a heck of a time. We had 11 boats in 2014 and that was a lot I thought then. This might actually be the first year we don't make it to Bimini one way or another.:( You never know though.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
30+ BOATS GOING THIS YEAR!!!! I didn't even bother to count the number of people! WOW! It's going to be a heck of a time. We had 11 boats in 2014 and that was a lot I thought then. This might actually be the first year we don't make it to Bimini one way or another.:( You never know though.
It should be a good one! I think only about 16 or 17 of those registered have units booked at this time though.

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It should be a good one! I think only about 16 or 17 of those registered have units booked at this time though.
ahh, good point. I didn't count those, just the list. For those of you that have never been... boating on a lake when you get home will...well....... basically suck for the rest of your life LOL. Bimini is a trip of a lifetime and you will always want to go back to those beautiful clear waters.