• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We have been looking to add to our boating options

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since you are posting info on the PDQ 36, can we assume the survey went well?

Have you made an offer on the boat?

Jim
Yes, accepted. We knew what they, PO, paid for it in 2021. Insider info...offered nowhere near the asking price. Trying to find a marina in RI to over Winter and bring up here in May. Survey went well, nothing unexpected for that era. Putting the Bene up for sale soon.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not that I don't understand... but I'm gonna miss the Bene. Such a nice job you guys did on her.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not that I don't understand... but I'm gonna miss the Bene. Such a nice job you guys did on her.
Plenty to refit on this one, she is no Spring chicken, but she is in good shape for traveling to the Bahamas as many times as she did. She will fare well with a little tlc, like we gave the bene, she will shine. She can do 8-9 kts upwind and 12+ downwind.

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes, accepted. We knew what they, PO, paid for it in 2021. Insider info...offered nowhere near the asking price. Trying to find a marina in RI to over Winter and bring up here in May. Survey went well, nothing unexpected for that era. Putting the Bene up for sale soon.
Hope you do a bringing her home thread.

That would be a great first adventure for the new boat.

Jim

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hope you do a bringing her home thread.

That would be a great first adventure for the new boat.

Jim
Will do. We will run up the Hudson, which is tidal up to Albany. Then pick up the Champlain canal at Waterford and then North to Whitehall NY, where the Lake starts. I could also call it my first leg of The Great Loop.

20230812_085723.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not much of a wake at 7+kts. to talk about, under the power of twin Yamaha high thrust 9.9’s

GIF-2023-08-13-15-03-18.gif

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Day 2. Beautiful sight! I bet only @zipper can tell me what point of sail I’m at based on this pic!

View attachment 206303
I can tell you more than that, lol. The windex indicates a beam reach. And you are on a starboard tack so you have the R.O.W. There are a few others who sail here, like @motomandan . How many reefing points on that main? I only see one. That flag halyard on the lower spreader needs a flag. :cool: A question...was the main all the way up, in the pic.?

20190714_135435.jpg

Last edited:

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Main might have been a hair shy of 100% up. She had electric winches, and this was my first time operating electric winches. To me it's hard to tell what kind of tension is on the sail when using an electric winch, so I think when I was hauling the main, and the winch sounded like it was bogging down I just stopped it. Two reef points in the main. This placard at each helm station is vital I learned when sailing Cats. Due to the inability to heel over and the risk of flipping the Cat, you must be cognizant of AWA and AWS and follow the sail plan on this placard.

IMG_4967.JPG

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Actually, I do see the second reef. It has not cleared the sail pack yet. Edit, that was not it.

Last edited:

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The first reef is on the back side of the sail. You can see the stitching and the shadow of the lines coming format. The second reef is the one up higher. I believe you are seeing the tack still in the pack

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The first reef is on the back side of the sail. You can see the stitching and the shadow of the lines coming format. The second reef is the one up higher. I believe you are seeing the tack still in the pack
I see it now. I could not see the block, or crinkle in our case, on the leech.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finishing up a couple of refit items that were on our survey 5 years ago. First is the manual bilge pump that would not draw water. Replaced with a new one

426ED71E-A88A-4277-ACDA-42FCD488F1C8.jpeg

A8AE0DFE-A3E0-4A3B-97C4-42A8E05A0C5F.jpeg

1BCE981F-39E8-47C7-885B-398F71D34889.jpeg

And the lightning ground strap to a keel bolt.

28C0BCAE-B2AE-4FA8-83C3-2F0944A2A18B.jpeg

C1270815-DEBF-42D8-9C1E-6E93FF872319.jpeg

Connecting the end of the gas discharge tube (lightning surge arrestor) circled, housing to a keel bolt. You can see the disconnected strap on the other side of the plywood bulkhead. Fishing it between the inner and outer hulls was tricky. The original tinned copper strap had oxidized and broke. There was no fitting for a strap to mount to the keel bolt, so I made one from a piece of 304ss I had kicking around.

9C436F19-1F77-4387-9CF2-629746FA7B4E.jpeg

Will install in a couple of hours.
Edit: Done, had to use the 3/4” drive socket for this one.

2488000E-A0AA-4DD4-8EEA-0631DD7069C8.jpeg

C866A070-048F-4972-87B0-4B41DB4BB4B1.jpeg
Completing Faraday cage.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Selling our 1991 Beneteau First 35s5 tall rig. The Yachtworld add will be up soon, but we are advertising on marketplace and Craigslist . For those who have followed this thread for the last 6 years, you know all of the work we have done on her to bring her back to "shipshape" condition. I will list a proper add in the classified section soon.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You should be very proud of your work, I am, thanks for including us on this journey and I can't wait to read about the cat,

for those just joining, I just revisited the beginning of this thread and the boat wasn't even bought until post #53

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I can tell you more than that, lol. The windex indicates a beam reach. And you are on a starboard tack so you have the R.O.W. There are a few others who sail here, like @motomandan . How many reefing points on that main? I only see one. That flag halyard on the lower spreader needs a needs a flag. :cool: A question...was the main all the way up, in the pic.?

View attachment 206306
I have the same flag. @Island Jay sent the wrong color to match my boat but made it right by sending the correct colors. This one is my secondary hanging in the garage.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We did two closings today...one was the pool.

20230915_150004.jpg

And the other was this 1991 PDQ 36 Catamaran.

20230915_151842.jpg

20230915_165640.jpg

20230915_151455.jpg

20230915_151604.jpg

20230915_151637.jpg

Now to make the trip from Southern New England, up the Hudson and the Champlain Canal to the Lake in May 24.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Spent Saturday and Sunday at our new to us catamaran down in Southern New England getting to know her better. I had already been down to see her twice before, the second one with a marine surveyor finding the source(es) of her leaks. Some were hardware needing rebedding and others were plugged drain hoses from wells around hatches. I managed to extract the water from her hulls by using a couple of tools. The first one came with the boat, which tells me that at least the previous two owners knew they had water ingress. It was a bilge pump on a long broom stick to lower into the sealed compartments via an inspection plate. Pumped out 30 gallons from the starboard aft compartment, the source being 6 mounting bolts for the swim ladder. They were loose. This is what I/they used. It worked well, but just a bandaid.

6A44BFC4-33CD-45B2-A223-939066112243.jpeg

I finished up with my extractor. Not much to talk about left.

5220B121-142A-4EDC-98D8-2AB86736D988.jpeg

Because of the survey, I knew there was water in the compartment holding the black water tank, but not how much. Likely caused by a plugged hatch well drain that I freed during the survey. I used my west marine extractor to pull the water out of that, about 20 gallons.
No pics.

The interior was pretty dry aside from the port lights needing replacement/rebedding. There was water forward in the hull where the shower bilge pump is located. 8 or so gallons taken out by extractor. Sponged out the last little bit.

E6AC389B-C1A7-4197-8F4D-670601903652.jpeg

We left her high and dry on the hard, hauled out on Friday via crane, a day ahead of hurricane Lee.

Removed the beat up dinghy from the davits and lowered the 8 hp Yamaha using a davit for the motor.

EB546FB6-05B2-451C-ADC5-34BAFD9807FF.jpeg

Brought the rib dinghy home with motor, we brought the trailer with us. Loaded up the bed of the truck with “stuff” to keep and called it a good start.

She has been in the Ocean for two years to and from the Bahamas and needs a good hull cleaning.

Last edited:

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bill D A 40-50' Cat would be our dream live aboard also, nice choice. We have seen quite a few on the Lake this summer in the 40' range, and one at our marina maybe 35-38'. Willow points out every one she spots. I am not a sailor, yet. Although we both come from a long line of them. We figure that we would learn/hone our skills on a smaller craft for a while. And then move up in size in 5+ years. I know the running joke around here is "Buy your second boat First". And I guess we are doing that as we started out looking at 28-30' boats. I know 32' is not much of a jump, but the prices of the Beneteau's are much higher comparatively. So something larger and more "blue water" rated in our future for sure, but until we feel comfortable taking the training wheels off, we will sail a smaller monohull that has the comfort we expect for entertaining or weekend/overnight outings. Longer outings would require our retirement and on a farm that usually means selling. The Sugaring operation on the farm has allowed us alot more time to be on the Lake during the summer vs. milking sheep&cows and cheesemaking. But we do keep a small herd for lawn/field mowers that have minimal needs. As the saying goes...Old sailors never die/retire, they just get a little dinghy.;)h
Looks like you have been staying on course after reading this post from the beginning of this thread. 👍