• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252SD Solar

shortroyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I bought the service manual for the 2023 252 SD, and it is quite insistent that there is a solar panel on the Bimini roof.

However my boat doesn’t have one, and when I look at the spare parts websites, it doesn’t seem to be listed as a part.

Does anyone know what the story is with this? Did some 2023 models get them or was it cancelled at the last minute? It’s mentioned about 5 times in the service manual.

I am curious if some wiring or a controller exists for it even if the panel itself wasn’t installed, as it might make it easier to add. Not sure what to look for though.

Attachments

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Highly doubt the boat is pre-wired for solar. They do this a lot in the RV industry but I doubt Yamaha is doing it..... yet. It may be more for illustrative purposes or future availability. I know there isn't anything on my '22 275SD. I have a hard top and it would be perfect for solar but it is not even listed as an option in the brochures.

Renogy makes flexible solar panels that work great for this type of application. They are light and can conform to the curve of a bimini roof or tower.

If I end up rack storing my 275SD, I may mount one on my tower and install a controller to be a battery maintainer. It would be easy to do.

Last edited:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My buddy's 2020 242X has solar trickle off the Bimini. My guess is that your manual (like mine) covers different models under one manual, one being the solar version. If you can't find it on the parts list, I wouldn't think it's OEM.

If you're looking to gain additional battery time while at the sandbar, don't bother with aftermarket solar. Besides the obvious dependency on the weather, you can't beat adding a second house battery and a decent charger when the boat is not being used.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Be carefull with flex solar panels, they get quite hot and can start burning the Bimini fabric and even catch it on fire. I added 100W panel to my FSH and have my flex panel attached to a PVC frame to keep it separated and aids with cooling.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Be carefull with flex solar panels, they get quite hot and can start burning the Bimini fabric and even catch it on fire. I added 100W panel to my FSH and have my flex panel attached to a PVC frame to keep it separated and aids with cooling.
I have flexible solar panels on my RV roof… a rubber roof. They do not get nearly a hot as the rigid panels.

I have seen numerous sail boats with flexible panels mounted on fabric as well.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have flexible solar panels on my RV roof… a rubber roof. They do not get nearly a hot as the rigid panels.

I have seen numerous sail boats with flexible panels mounted on fabric as well.
They are more efficient when they are cool too so air gap helps

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I
They are more efficient when they are cool too so air gap helps
I attached them directly to the roof of my first motorhome. My current motorhome I used a corrugated plastic sheet as a barrier. Noticed very little difference in performance. Might be because the roofs are white.

Last edited:

shortroyd

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
My guess is that your manual (like mine) covers different models under one manual, one being the solar version.
Thank you, this was the thing I was missing. Found the answer now - the 2021 252SD had an integrated solar panel in the Bimini as part of the base. In the 2022 and 2023 models it was removed. Same boat model or whatever you call it just different model years.

It’s available as an OEM part if you choose the 2021 model but not future years.

What confused me is that the service manual is the same for all 3 years (same part number), I guess because nothing else changed much.

Thanks to everyone for sharing experiences with the panels too, I think I will stick to a Noco with shore power.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have the solar and never even plug it in. My NOCO does the job.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I'm surprised if it was available at one point that they dropped it. Seems like a no-brainer to have it as an option as a battery maintainer. But at $500 for the solar panel, that is crazy. I'd rather see them pre-wire it like they do in the RV industry and then you can add you own panel for under $200.

Since I may be changing to rack storing outside vs a marina slip w/ power, the solar panel option would be a bonus. But I can do it myself for under $250 all-in.