• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New twin turbo six coming to Stellantis

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recently bought a ‘21 Ram HEMI with the 3.92. Actually got a good deal on it with only 3,600 miles and absolutely love it. Fuel mileage is not good but knew that going in. I would look at a turbo 6 for that reason but I do like everything else about the HEMI outside of fuel economy. The last time i compared a 6 to an 8 was in a Jeep Commander and the weight of the 8 gave it more solid feel and made it better to drive IMO.

We also have a ‘22 Expy on order with the EB 6 and 3.73 gearing that may arrive at the dealer as early as next week. I’ll go drive it but we’re strongly leaning towards passing on it and waiting until the market normalizes. Buying at MSRP due to shortages with rising interest rates and high gas prices feels like buying at or very near the peak of the market. Getting the truck gave us that flexibility but I am looking forward to being able to compare the HEMI to the EB in a near apples to apples comparison.
I HATE the screen in the 22s. It's clearly designed by someone who doesn't have a family. That giant screen will get wrecked by something and be $$$$ to replace. It also is hideous, lol.

I should look and see what gears our Expedition has. We didn't get a window sticker for it, so it's sort of a guessing game, lol.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I HATE the screen in the 22s. It's clearly designed by someone who doesn't have a family. That giant screen will get wrecked by something and be $$$$ to replace. It also is hideous, lol.

I should look and see what gears our Expedition has. We didn't get a window sticker for it, so it's sort of a guessing game, lol.
My Ram has the 8.4” screen and physical climate control knobs below instead of the larger 12”+ screen and no physical knobs and I’m so glad to have the knobs. So much quicker (and safer) to turn a knob than navigate a touchscreen while driving. Had I ordered the truck knew I would’ve chosen the bigger screen because I’m a technology guy so I’m surprised that I prefer not having it.

The pics of the Expy’s screen are hit and miss for me. It’s a “cool” factor but it doesn’t naturally flow with the dash. Seems a bit awkward and I’m curious if that’s going to be the case when I finally see it in person.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@BlkGS

I agree the screen in the 22 Expedition (I had to google it) looks terrible. I'm, by and large a fan of smaller/hide-able screens.

I'm curious though, what are your doing in the car to tear up the screen? Trying to navigate with work gloves on that you've spent all day hauling gravel with? Fingerprints are an issue (The new Audi dual touchscreens to stupid bad about this), out right damage seems a bit far fetched. Hell the next door neighbor has an 8in screen in his Titan and is a construction site foreman. Quite literally the dirtiest interior I've ever seen during the week, and his screen still looks like new after 48k miles (after he dusts it off of course).

I think there's a myriad of reasons to NOT have a giant ass screen in the center stack of a moving vehicle, however damage isn't really on that list.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apparently the press release included mpg information. The new turbo 6 gets 1-2 mpg more than the v8s. So that's unimpressive to say the least. What's not clear to me is which v8 they're comparing to. The 5.7 with the hybrid was substantially better in the city than the 6.4, so that'd imply the high boost 6 pot is pretty bad in the city.

Unimpressive? What are you looking for to be impressive?

I6 delivers 29hp more AND 45lb-ft more AND ~100lbs lighter (reports vary on weight, can't find an exact number) AND 2mpg better economy? How is that not impressive? It's literally a win on multiple fronts. Perhaps it's a loss on complexity if you consider it has an additional camshaft, and a turbocharger over the 6.4L Hemi.

Other factors like NVH and emissions levels might generate additional wins. Packaging for hybridization that the article eludes to might further the usefulness of the engine.

I still think it's gonna be a good seller and overall success for the brand assuming the bork the manufacturing or tuning badly.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS

I agree the screen in the 22 Expedition (I had to google it) looks terrible. I'm, by and large a fan of smaller/hide-able screens.

I'm curious though, what are your doing in the car to tear up the screen? Trying to navigate with work gloves on that you've spent all day hauling gravel with? Fingerprints are an issue (The new Audi dual touchscreens to stupid bad about this), out right damage seems a bit far fetched. Hell the next door neighbor has an 8in screen in his Titan and is a construction site foreman. Quite literally the dirtiest interior I've ever seen during the week, and his screen still looks like new after 48k miles (after he dusts it off of course).

I think there's a myriad of reasons to NOT have a giant ass screen in the center stack of a moving vehicle, however damage isn't really on that list.
I'm convinced that the dogs, kids, or stuff will destroy it. I feel like a well placed throw from the backseat will be a multiple thousand dollar pain in the ass. Or a bad trip back from home depot with some wood or something...

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

I6 delivers 29hp more AND 45lb-ft more AND ~100lbs lighter (reports vary on weight, can't find an exact number) AND 2mpg better economy? How is that not impressive? It's literally a win on multiple fronts. Perhaps it's a loss on complexity if you consider it has an additional camshaft, and a turbocharger over the 6.4L Hemi.

Other factors like NVH and emissions levels might generate additional wins. Packaging for hybridization that the article eludes to might further the usefulness of the engine.

I still think it's gonna be a good seller and overall success for the brand assuming the bork the manufacturing or tuning badly.
I guess my issue is they didn't need more hp or torque as badly as they needed like 5 mpg more, lol. I don't know if it's an optional engine or a replacement, if it's a replacement I guess it won't make much difference. I think I'd have a hard time picking it as an upgrade engine for a wagoneer though.

If they price it cheaper than the hemi, or a no cost option, then maybe I could see it.

They really should have out in the ecodiesel.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wish they would hurry up and drop that engine in the Gladiator

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They really should have out in the ecodiesel.
100% agree there. We need more baby diesels in this country. They're a superior engine from an energy efficiency standpoint. Takes less energy to generate the same movement.

Particulate filters are difficult, but getting better. Public perception is the hardest hurdle there. VW didn't do us any favors a few years ago either.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wish they would hurry up and drop that engine in the Gladiator
It's going to be interesting to see how it plays with the srt products. While I'm sure the HO version in the jeep or Durango will rip, I feel like it's just not going to have same feel.

The explorer st has a turbo v6 and it doesn't have the same feel, it feels a little too refined for me. I dunno, I just preferred the V8 feel for that sort of vehicle.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
100% agree there. We need more baby diesels in this country. They're a superior engine from an energy efficiency standpoint. Takes less energy to generate the same movement.

Particulate filters are difficult, but getting better. Public perception is the hardest hurdle there. VW didn't do us any favors a few years ago either.
Honestly, I think it got blown way out of the water. From my perspective, it comes down to poor test procedures that enabled that sort of deal.

That said, I think it was blown up so much as part of a push to electric cars. If you can get an efficient diesel engine that lasts forever and get way better fuel economy, it's harder to convince people they need to trade their ICE vehicles out for a battery operated lifestyle.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My Ram has the 8.4” screen and physical climate control knobs below instead of the larger 12”+ screen and no physical knobs and I’m so glad to have the knobs. So much quicker (and safer) to turn a knob than navigate a touchscreen while driving. Had I ordered the truck knew I would’ve chosen the bigger screen because I’m a technology guy so I’m surprised that I prefer not having it.

The pics of the Expy’s screen are hit and miss for me. It’s a “cool” factor but it doesn’t naturally flow with the dash. Seems a bit awkward and I’m curious if that’s going to be the case when I finally see it in person.
As a owner of the 12" screen - there are still buttons for almost everything. Climate control being on of them. The only thing I touch the screen for is changing my mirror settings, and to activate the surround camera.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I'm convinced that the dogs, kids, or stuff will destroy it. I feel like a well placed throw from the backseat will be a multiple thousand dollar pain in the ass. Or a bad trip back from home depot with some wood or something...
This concern applies to a screen of any size. Sure, the larger the screen provides more surface area to hit but the smaller option is still 12” vs 15.5” in the larger one. They’re just following Tesla’s example, as most car companies are now. Usability, IMHO, is a far greater concern. The lack of tactical feel so one can keep their eyes on the road has me concerned. Having a kid in the front seat treating it like a tablet and pushing a bunch of buttons and distracting the driver has me concerned. Not so much it being destroyed though, but doesn’t mean you’re not right.

Taylorman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
As a owner of the 12" screen - there are still buttons for almost everything. Climate control being on of them. The only thing I touch the screen for is changing my mirror settings, and to activate the surround camera.
Why you gotta ruin my blissful ignorance like that? I was happy with my little screen and now it’ll never be the same lol!

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Going by the drive.com info, it should be comparing to the 6.4L with 15 MPG combined. Doesn’t sound like much, but it is 10% better.

Apparently the press release included mpg information. The new turbo 6 gets 1-2 mpg more than the v8s. So that's unimpressive to say the least. What's not clear to me is which v8 they're comparing to. The 5.7 with the hybrid was substantially better in the city than the 6.4, so that'd imply the high boost 6 pot is pretty bad in the city.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why you gotta ruin my blissful ignorance like that? I was happy with my little screen and now it’ll never be the same lol!
My dad has the 12" screen. The buttons are kinda inconvenient. A knob works better for a lot of things, temperature being one. And all the uttons are not exactly comveniently placed for use in a big ass truck.

My dad is still undecided about it. Based on that, I wouldn't say it's a must have.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My dad has the 12" screen. The buttons are kinda inconvenient. A knob works better for a lot of things, temperature being one. And all the uttons are not exactly comveniently placed for use in a big ass truck.

My dad is still undecided about it. Based on that, I wouldn't say it's a must have.
Live look while I’m in line at Sams club. Controls are only a few inches from steering wheel. Not sure how that is considered a bad place.

Also note voice controls tempature as well so you don’t have to take hands off wheel.

image.jpg

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This concern applies to a screen of any size. Sure, the larger the screen provides more surface area to hit but the smaller option is still 12” vs 15.5” in the larger one. They’re just following Tesla’s example, as most car companies are now. Usability, IMHO, is a far greater concern. The lack of tactical feel so one can keep their eyes on the road has me concerned. Having a kid in the front seat treating it like a tablet and pushing a bunch of buttons and distracting the driver has me concerned. Not so much it being destroyed though, but doesn’t mean you’re not right.
The other thing is in the expedition it comes out forward towards the occupants. Normally your screen is recessed some, giving you a little bit more protection. Admittedly, it's a numbers game, but the smaller screen should in theory be cheaper too.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Live look while I’m in line at Sams club. Controls are only a few inches from steering wheel. Not sure how that is considered a bad place.

Also note voice controls tempature as well so you don’t have to take hands off wheel.

View attachment 175555
It's like, 4 feet away from you and the buttons are tiny. Honestly, I just prefer a knob for temperature. I'm fine with getting rid of buttons for fan speed, but temperature should be a knob IMO.

Side note, is your Sam's rerouting people for gas? Ours is and it's annoying af.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Watched some previews of the L from the auto show. Apparently these motors replace the v8s completely, no option for the v8s anymore.

Sounds like jeep is saying 14 city, 19 highway... So worse than all its v8 competitors and much worse than expedition with the Ecoboost. Sounds like they didn't learn from everyone else who did direct injection before them and left out port injection as an add on (a major upgrade that Ecoboost added).

I think in context, wagoneer in general will underperformed. While super nice inside, they're much more expensive than their gm and Ford counterparts. They also don't have a real differentiator other than being a jeep (similar o how commander was). I think that's going to hurt them, at least until the incentives flow.