• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Nylon Wear Rings

HookJet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My starboard engine has always sounded terrible out of the water since new, not near as bad as in the water. The boat also performs normally. I address it occasionally when I take it in for service, been told it's normal from the dealer and local jet shop. Well went to change the oil last week and the engine wouldn't turn over and eventually locked up. I also apparently tried too hard to get it started an burned up the starter relay. Replaced the relay and doused the impeller with Yamalube, and engine started right up...still sounds terrible.

I am learning that Yamaha went to nylon wear rings in 2019 and was looking to swap mine out this year. I found two suppliers mentioned on this site an was wondering the difference since the prices are so different. One is by Bay Area Powersports and the other is by SBT.

I also read that the nylon rings aren't good for the 2018s and prior. Anyone with any long term experience with either of these or other nylon set ups? Leaning toward SBT since they offer replacement rings on their site and I'm partial to FL companies.

Thanks...

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had them on my old 2005 ar230 and it worked perfectly. I had it a few years and never had to replace the wear ring.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yamaha is still using stainless steel wear rings after 2019, My 2021 came with them. I doubt they will change from stainless as It creates service business for the dealers.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been with Yamaha since owning a Superjet and their OEM wear rings will eventually bulge out in spots and catch the impeller. If the boat sits long enough the bulges will grow large enough to stop the prop in mid-spin when starting hence burning up a starter.

In a nutshell, as the bulge starts to emerge and you are using your boat on a regular basis, the impeller (which is stainless steel nowadays) will shave off the offensive bulge(s) just enough to spin freely and you'll go about your business. Out of the water during the rinse down/flush it will clang like its self destructing. Eventually you will get to the point where you'll replace the OEM with the nylon and when its first installed there will be no clearance and the installation is a bit tight but once everything is buttoned up and you hit the starter for the first time it will power the impeller to carve right through the nylon material giving you a nice tight seal.

In the meantime when you start to hear the clang take time to spray lubricant into the pump from the front intake side and spin the engine once more before shutting down. If you've sat for a few weeks you might also shoot fresh lube into the pump before starting and or if the starter sounds like it's straining to turn the engine over. Lube is cheaper than a new starter.