• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What gas price makes you change your boating habits?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Curious about this, as with fuel prices rising, what's your break point where you go out on the water less?

I got used to 2 to 3 dollar a gallon prices, so the thought of filling up at 4 to 5 bucks a gallon is... Painful. So what's your break point where you don't go on that trip or don't go out as many weekends?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I think for me we're already there. Anything with regular gas at $3+, not on the lake of course, and it'll change my boating habits. It isn't due to the affordability, as it's really only maybe an extra hundred or so here or there with our normal boating. It's more the perception of the cost than the reality of the cost. Also with the price of gas going nuts the cost of everything around us will also go up. We largely buy the same groceries and have for years. We used to spend about $150 a week. Roughly those same groceries are now in the $250 range. Little more a little less depending. Those extra hundreds start to add up and could start to REALLY impact our budget if we're not smart. Fortunately for me I take $25 every week I can remember and stick it in a gas fund for the boat. I have about $550 right now and still about a month or 2 left to put money in there before boating starts up. Normally by the end of the summer there's still money in there, or at worst I have to supplement that money with $20 here or there. This summer that would probably be gone by middle of the summer, or exhausted within the first 1.5 months.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious about this, as with fuel prices rising, what's your break point where you go out on the water less?

I got used to 2 to 3 dollar a gallon prices, so the thought of filling up at 4 to 5 bucks a gallon is... Painful. So what's your break point where you don't go on that trip or don't go out as many weekends?
There is no breakpoint, dude. Boating is an expensive hobby.

BTW - Oil markets are global business. Fracking doesn't work unless the conditions are such that gas at the pump is above $5.

Wait. Would you like our government to subsidize your expensive habit? so that you can afford it?

--

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

BTW - Oil markets are global business. Fracking doesn't work unless the conditions are such that gas at the pump is above $5.

Wait. Would you like our government to subsidize your expensive habit? so that you can afford it?

--
More of a curiosity than anything. They're not going to be subsidizing me because my boat is still stuck in NC needing a ton of cleaning and a new storage facility in FL. 😭

That said, I think every hobby has a breaking point. I knew guys who downsized their race cars when gas prices spiked. You burn a lot less gas racing a mini or Miata than you do a Corvette. Plus you can have a smaller tow vehicle and trailer.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't change one bit for me. We do a lot of lounging around so we don't burn fuel all day long. Grand kiddos will probably be tubing next year so till then i dont care how high the price goes as far as my water time on the boat or skis

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
None for me, I do a couple laps around the lake and then anchor down. And the lakes in Indiana are not big to begin with so a full tank lasts me 3 to 4 outings

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’m $35k in on two new Waverunners and stopped keeping track of how much I’ve got into the boat. The price of gas won’t factor into whether I go to the water or not.

That said, gas is currently averaging $5.50 for super unleaded, right under $5 for 87 octane here in the San Francisco Bay Area of CA. I just saw a news story that in Mendocino County around 100 miles north some station is charging $8+ per gallon.

currently I have one family camping trip planned this summer. So what? During these weekend camping trips it’s common for me to burn at least one tank of gas for the boat, two tanks in each do the skis and of course will and empty both tow vehicles. Gallons and price wise it works out to $250 for 50 gallons for the boat, $400 for both, 40 gallons each, and another 30 gallons for the tow vehicles or $150. Total $800 for 160 gallons at $5 per gallon. Of the price jumps to$7.50 per gallon my total price jumps $400 to $1,200. Ouch but it’s a small price to pay to make memories on the water with friends and family.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Were quite a few empty slips in my marina last summer. I expect more to be empty this season! :(

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We bought an old 35' sailboat for those that don't know, lol. We topped off the diesel tank last Fall before haulout for $15. That was the first time in 2 years I put fuel in the boat. Our marina is a 10 min. motor out and then set sail. We do go out a couple times a week at the least except during blueberry season.

Having a blast with her toes in the water. Priceless!

20210911_135609.jpg

The wind is free.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
None for me, I do a couple laps around the lake and then anchor down. And the lakes in Indiana are not big to begin with so a full tank lasts me 3 to 4 outings
Same.

A 30gal tank lasts us a full weekend on the water. $3/gal is a $90fill $5/gal is a $150fill. $60isnt gonna sway me over a full weekend. I've had food/drinks on Friday night exceed that number easily.

Even our big trips to FL or TN won't change. Once or twice a year and the gas difference of $400-500 (between boat and tow vehicle) is only around 10% of a family vacation total budget. Food, lodging, and entertainment are all far larger expenses when you look at a week away from the house for a family of four.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, luxury activities are likely not impacted as heavily as necessary activities.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

--

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

--
All due respect - your comment is misleading and inaccurate stating that “””Gas at the pump has to be $5 for fracking to work”””. - fracking (hydraulic fracturing) actually helps LOWER the cost of fuel in reality. It allows companies to more easily recover more of their hydrocarbon reserves. This eases the supply issues.

The real reason fuel prices are up is because the administration is highly restricting domestic companies in combo with sanctioning Russia…and the worst part lifting sanctions on Iran and requesting OPEC produce more…. Importing oil is more costly than domestic production.

Oh and don’t forget how the Keystone pipeline was cancelled.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m more worried about filling up my truck with diesel than filling the boat 😅... In hindsight, My wife and I picked a good Summer to have a baby (due first of June). So more projects will get done on the boat than actually enjoying it this year, sadly. Guess it’s just time to save money to really enjoy it for years to come.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am more worried about ass holes sneaking in the marine and steeling gas, it hasn't been any issue over the past 5 years but it was around 2010 time frame. My gas was never stolen but the guy that parks next to me, his was twice.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I already saw a meme in a boating forum. Instead of Don't Drink and Drive, it said, Gas is expensive, Drink and Don't Drive.

I'm so glad the kids in our group are all off to college/careers now. They would rather come hang with us off the back of the boat now more than ride the tubes. That's cheap entertainment in this economy.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The following tables are actually quite shocking to me and comes from the US Energy Information Administration;

The 10 largest oil producers and share of total world oil production in 2020

CountryMillion barrels per dayShare of world total
United States18.6120%
Saudi Arabia10.8112%
Russia10.50 11%
Canada 5.23 6%
China 4.86 5%
Iraq 4.16 4%
United Arab Emirates 3.78 4%
Brazil 3.77 4%
Iran 3.01 3%
Kuwait 2.75 3%
Total top 1067.49 72%
World total93.86

The 10 largest oil consumers and share of total world oil consumption in 2019

United States20.5420%
China14.0114%
India 4.92 5%
Japan 3.74 4%
Russia 3.70 4%
Saudi Arabia 3.18 3%
Brazil 3.14 3%
South Korea 2.60 3%
Canada 2.51 3%
Germany 2.35 2%
Total top 1060.6960%
World total100.23

So, Russia produces about 11% of the world's oil supply and consumes about 4%. Even if no one purchased Russia oil, it would be a matter of the rest of the world making up this 7%.

Jim

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The following tables are actually quite shocking to me and comes from the US Energy Information Administration;

The 10 largest oil producers and share of total world oil production in 2020

United States18.6120%
Saudi Arabia10.8112%
Russia10.50 11%
Canada 5.23 6%
China 4.86 5%
Iraq 4.16 4%
United Arab Emirates 3.78 4%
Brazil 3.77 4%
Iran 3.01 3%
Kuwait 2.75 3%
Total top 1067.49 72%
World total93.86

The 10 largest oil consumers and share of total world oil consumption in 2019

United States20.5420%
China14.0114%
India 4.92 5%
Japan 3.74 4%
Russia 3.70 4%
Saudi Arabia 3.18 3%
Brazil 3.14 3%
South Korea 2.60 3%
Canada 2.51 3%
Germany 2.35 2%
Total top 1060.6960%
World total100.23

So, Russia produces about 11% of the world's oil supply and consumes about 4%. Even if no one purchased Russia oil, it would be a matter of the rest of the world making up this 7%.

Jim
So would be good to see 2020 consumption & 2021 for both tables. 2019 and 2020 were when we were nearly energy independent- I think much has changed since then.

Another thing to think about. Many believe it’s just turn on the tap and oil flows. Not so easy, producers have to drill new wells, mobilize people equipment. Currently the industry was so devastated they lost 50% of the workforce in the past year and 1/2 so that also means hiring and training talent.

Last edited: