• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What gas price makes you change your boating habits?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
LOL, I was thinking about the same thing. I am full up with some treatment in the tank as well. Wondering how long I can make that last.
Thanks...that reminded me...I have 50 gallons of treated fuel ready to burn.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
We bought an old 35' sailboat for those that don't know, lol. We topped off the diesel tank last Fall before haulout for $15. That was the first time in 2 years I put fuel in the boat. Our marina is a 10 min. motor out and then set sail. We do go out a couple times a week at the least except during blueberry season.

Having a blast with her toes in the water. Priceless!

View attachment 173089

The wind is free.
Guess you didn't hear. Due to climate change, in 2023 all sailboats will now have to install windmeters with GPS and pay a wind tax based based on nautical mileage.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Well, this thread took a turn, so I'll address both directions. Oil is more expensive because global demand is driving up the costs since so many countries are refusing to buy Russian oil. That being said, American oil producers are also raking in record profits, so at some point it'll have to balance out, or we'll slip right back in to recession. The only certain way to do that is more regulation of fuel costs, but that means more government oversight, and I don't event want to get into a liberal/conservative debate.

Beyond all of that, I paid my boat off over the winter, so the $300 per month payment now gets rolled over into the fuel fund, and unless things get really stupid, I should still end up money ahead. So, bring on summer, and I'll see you at Lake Shelbyville, IL this July. :D
I just paid my boat off too. I made payments for a year, and then had a look at the interest I would pay over 15 years. Basically double the cost of the boat.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Gas prices are not going to change my boating habits. However they just did change my drinking habits. Instead of the Calumet 15yr impulse buy I stuck with my current go to at 1/3 the price. Half day on the water in gas right there. I do wonder if my already paid for private boat charter in Cabo is going to try and charge me extra next month though.

Anyway you slice it, gas prices for a boat is a 1st world problem and we should not be complaining given the atrocities occurring in Ukraine as I write this. May freedom from aggression and oppression prevail.

Smiley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Heck, I just paid $1,600 on two speakers and an amp for the boat to listen to music louder. If I am complaining about the cost for the gas, Its not seeing the forest because of the trees…

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Heck, I just paid $1,600 on two speakers and an amp for the boat to listen to music louder. If I am complaining about the cost for the gas, Its not seeing the forest because of the trees…
Some of us have too much money.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In SWFL fuel was running $3.49 a gallon before the crapola. Now $4.29. That’s about $0.80 a gal more. 210 FSH - 100 gal. Or $80 more per tank. I may stay in the economical speed range more, but not changing how often I go out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow, I don't know what is wrong in Michigan, we were $2.50ish now today I saw $4.92 It is bizarre the numbers are going up and down around here in swings everyday.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow, I don't know what is wrong in Michigan, we were $2.50ish now today I saw $4.92 It is bizarre the numbers are going up and down around here in swings everyday.
I paid 4.999 here for regular today and our price always jumps in the summer when they change the mix to clean up pollution. I don’t know if that’s a common change in other places.

Seno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Not going to change my boating habits, but might explore a few other places where I can drop closer to our destination of the day.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Guess you didn't hear. Due to climate change, in 2023 all sailboats will now have to install windmeters with GPS and pay a wind tax based based on nautical mileage.
Funny, I would have heard. lol Sounds like your State may have come up with another way to squeeze it's boat using occupants. Good post, funny and creative, you made me laugh at 6am.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bottom line is US production is restricted
Please provide details of those restriction(s) on US production with links to the legal act(s) that caused restriction.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Please provide details of those restriction(s) on US production with links to the legal act(s) that caused restriction.
@Bruce here is just one of many. Give me a bit and I will post more info on it.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Farny, there was a pause in leasing while policies were reviewed. Are you aware of anything that remains in effect?

Oil companies are sitting on more than 9,000 unused leases to drill, frack or otherwise harvest oil. They have a variety of reasons not to harvest that oil. In some cases they just have not started yet. State and local permits may be delaying others. However with prices up many are likely to be profit taking. Why pump more at $80 a barrel when you can make the same profit pumping less at $100 a barrel?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Farny, there was a pause in leasing while policies were reviewed. Are you aware of anything that remains in effect?

Oil companies are sitting on more than 9,000 unused leases to drill, frack or otherwise harvest oil. They have a variety of reasons not to harvest that oil. In some cases they just have not started yet. State and local permits may be delaying others. However with prices up many are likely to be profit taking. Why pump more at $80 a barrel when you can make the same profit pumping less at $100 a barrel?

Still in effect - only limited leases released, and pipeline still cancelled. Yes it also takes time to start up and the damage done can be seen in rig and supply availability. Many rigs are laid down like a used car lot where parts have been taken from them to maintain other rigs.

Offshore leases vs land are very different animals. Project term and first production are very different than onshore land.

On existing leases - why do you think they haven’t been developed? How many of those have recoverable reserves? What are the economics on those. There is a reason the reservoir engineers and geologist haven’t directed funding and projects to much of those leases.

All business decisions based on restrictions. Biggest concern is why would the administration reach out to Iran and Venezuela to make up the difference instead of creating an environment that encourages domestic production, Bet most people don’t know Russia owns a significant portion of Venezuela oil companies and equipment since they bailed them out a few years back.

Do you know who owns and funds politifact and similar “fact checking” institutions?

Do some checking on Blackrock, Vanguard and the World economic forum and Davos.

I will still get you some more backup on the restrictions later this week.

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My position is that I don't care if we ever produce more oil than we consume, as I think we should strive to be as energy independent as possible. :thumbsup:

I am not nieve enough to believe there is no environment cost to building and maintaining pipelines and drilling (and fracking) for oil and gas. I believe we should balance the costs and benefits in doing so.

The price we pay for oil products is based on world pricing for oil. It doesn't matter if we are a net importer or exporter of oil. We have seen this is last two weeks when most gas prices shot up not because of the actual cost of the gas being sold, but because big oil was looking at the future market prices of oil.

Jim