• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

‘14 AR192 intercooler swap / adding cooling line

Justintroy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So title basically says what I’m after. In short, I’m the owner of a new to me ‘14 Ar192. It was only running about 35mph. I knew it should be faster. I’ve done the research and ordered a SVHO intercooler today on eBay. It was like new. It seems pretty straight forward switching that out. The double pisser outlet I’m just going to Y into that to the single on my boat. I’m also removing the ribbon and putting in a RIVA sleeve. Now my question is running the new cooling line. There no good write up on that that I could find. I see a short write up stating that I need to mill down the casting plate and tap it. Or just order the RIVA plate. But then, from there what am I supposed to do? I know drilling the hull is involved. But where do I drill at? Do I take certain measures to seal that spot if there’s wood? Do I plug the old water hose going to the intercooler? I just feel I’m missing a lot of needed info. Maybe these are dumb questions. I just want to make sure.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but I do not believe heat soak is the root of your speed problem. This boat should hit close to 50 in stock form. I would be far more suspect of the impeller condition or maybe a throttle cable that has stretched a little. What kind of RPMs are you seeing at wide open throttle?

That said, the intercooler and ribbon delete are worthwile upgrades considering the cost. Look at this thread. @JerryG posted some photos of his install on page 7 about halfway down.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/sx-192-mods.6550/page-7

When I did my install I did not add the dedicated line and never had any problems with it, but I do think adding the line is the best way to do it.

Justintroy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I first start, at WOT I’m getting about 7300(ish) RPM at 45mph. As the day progressed it was dropping to about 6900-7000 rpm and slowing to around 35mph. I got it from a dealership. They did a complete inspection and I got a clean bill of health on it before purchase. Now if they really inspected it or not, I don’t know. It’s extremely clean. Looked to be garaged. 90 hrs not one scratch on the hull and maybe one rub mark on each side. I’d say it looks as if it was maintained well and operated by a mindful driver.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I bet that is not helping. Lol! But from what you are describing in your previous message, that does sound a lot like heat soak. I bet getting that rope off will give you a couple MPH back.

Justintroy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There was about 5-6 foot of rope and a handful of 30lb test fishing string in there. Lol Now I’m having trouble popping the service plug back on. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Falls right into place, but won’t lock when I press the lock plunger. I’ll figure that one out I’m sure. Lol owned I/Os all my life. This is my first jet boat.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would take another jet over an I/O any day. Once you learn how to handle her, nothing else will ever be as maneuverable on the water. I love my new boat for the wake sports and the slow cruises, but if I was a rich man I would never have sold my Yamaha to buy it. The 19ft-ers are so dang practical, easy to own, and nimble.

Justintroy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You said you didn’t add a dedicated line. How did you rig yours up? I put a T on mine for now. I’m thinking I’ll do a Y barbed fitting. Is that the same thing you did?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I added a line for the intercooler exhaust stream, but I did not add a new water pickup line to feed only the intercooler. I just used the existing cooling water connection from the stock unit. I did get concerned about the lack of much output from the pissers at idle and slow speed. I am in MN where the water temps top out at about 80, and only for about a month. If you are in a warmer climate, you might be more likely to get overheat alarms.

Justintroy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh okay, I understand. I don’t think I want to run a new exhaust line for it. I’m thinking I’m still going to upgrade to the fizzle intercooler at some point. Which I believe is one outlet.

I ran it today, it was running 49mph. After about 30 mins of running heat soak started up again. Not as bad, but still there. It dropped me to about 43mph at 7100(ish) rpm. If I came to a stop, Idled for about 10 mins. It would clear up some and I’d get back up to 47 or so. Water temp was 88° and air temp was 92°.