• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

‘21 AR250 Cobra Setup with Added Lateral Thrusters 2.0

sastocky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I previously had installed the Cobra Jet Steering Cobra Venom Magnum AK-19 - Super Magnum AK-19 DELUXE kit on my 2021 AR250. I was impressed with Jeff’s first hand input in customer service. I also sent him photos and he provided constructive feedback to which I adjusted.

The Cobra setup significantly aided in low speed steering. I can’t say that I noticed a huge different I high speeds, nor was I really looking for this. I have not tried JetBoatPilot’s thrust vector setup. After installing I would never own a jetboat without a Cobra or Thrust Vector setup with the improved steering provided by the Cobra setup.

With that said, JetBoatPilot’s Lateral Thruster 2.0 setup would not leave my head and was keeping me up at night. I purchased a new set from a forum member. The forum member did not have the quick reference guide to the Lateral Thruster 2.0 so I emailed JetBoatPilot. Will responded to me same day, while on vacation. He also checked back to see if I needed anything else. So needless to say I was equally impressed with JetBoatPilot’s customer service.

This morning I installed JetBoatPilot’s Lateral Thruster 2.0 setup and I can’t wait to get on the water to “do some doughnuts” and try out the enhanced reverse mostly for docking. I’ll report back once I test.

I did have to raise the Cobra Fins to their last setting. If I feel low speed forward steering is compromised and the lateral thrusters do as shown in JetBoatPilots videos, I will lower the fins and cut out a notch for the lateral thruster setup.

If you have any feedback and have already done this please let me know your experiences.

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buddy did the same setup. Didn't like the CJS raised up that high. I drove the boat and didn't like it either. Took off the Lateral Thrusters. They are not needed. Prefer the fins much lower.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I tell people with a 2019 or newer Yamaha not to mess with the reverse if you have my steering set on the second to the lowest position , my system works with the factory angled reverse thrust and it does not take away any of the reverse power or the stopping power that comes with the original setup The 2019 and newer boats do not need the mega fang plus upgrade I offer for the earlier models either. Yamaha has the angled thrust built into the nozzles
1694362123670.jpeg the nozzle on the left is the newer angled one and the right is the older style where the thrust goes straight back , for those I have various mega fang systems to improve the real reverse and the stopping power as well as provide a mild power steering effect by having them go forward of the pivot point of the nozzles in order to turn the nozzles , as well as focus and direct the reverse thrust and assist in backing against wind waves and currents.
This newer design produce a set of angled thrusts that create the correct side push either way the nozzles are turned so you get 1 full reverse and 1 angled push from each one without greatly reducing the backing and stopping power.
Here is a view from a different angle of the 2019 and newer style nozzle with the split reverse thrust tubes , the water exits to both sides and backward in 2 defined jets that are very effective AND already on the boat! also if you wish to rotate in circles use the throttles one in forward and one in reverse that will work with any of the nozzles.
1694363174894.jpeg

Last edited:

sastocky

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Buddy did the same setup. Didn't like the CJS raised up that high. I drove the boat and didn't like it either. Took off the Lateral Thrusters. They are not needed. Prefer the fins much lower.
Ok, I might need to cut/grind on them to get enough clearance to lower them back into position. I’ll test this way first.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, I might need to cut/grind on them to get enough clearance to lower them back into position. I’ll test this way first.
Just remove the Lateral thrusters, on your boat not needed, enjoy the fins. Recommend second hole from top, or fully aggressive first hole..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If he really wants to keep them all he has to do is cut a thin flat piece of aluminum and place it inside the thrust tube for added strength then lower the mounting hole as needed so the tube clears the fin edge . It may require a lower second hole in the nozzle but the nozzles are up out of the water when the boat is on plane so are the tie rods and the top 1/3rd of the rudder I just don't recommend it because of the big loss of reverse thrust and stopping power when diverting the thrust sideways like that.
1694377338458.jpeg Typical twin engine articulating Yamaha keel jet boat on plane . So the fins are cut out in the front for clearance of the original reverse thrust , placing the bottom of the lateral thruster lower and putting the fin up a notch should work and the piece of metal inside the L T for reinforcement is all it would take.

krypto69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If I feel low speed forward steering is compromised and the lateral thrusters do as shown in JetBoatPilots videos, I will lower the fins and cut out a notch for the lateral thruster setup.
sastocky Curious - did you take it out with the fins set up high and the thrusters in as shown in your pics? If so, what did you think?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No need for the lateral thrusters. They compromise reverse significantly

johnso30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Following… would love to hear if @sastocky drove as pictured, made additional modifications, and ultimately what they ended up going with long term.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just for the class of 2024, I always tell people to do their research before they buy a steering system because there is a huge difference between my model specific Super steering and upgrades -VS- others. Remember I started this in 2001 for myself.
I was then asked by Yamaha jet boat owners to build steering for their boats as I was also asked to build the EZ locks for the clean out plugs and I did.
You can begin your research here Cobra jet steering | Pinellas Park FL you can also do searches on this site , however if all you want is slow speed assistance either will give you that but the next thing to research is the drawbacks like materials and size etc . also the features and benefits . My systems are aluminum and adjustable and do not hang too low below the boat they are model specific and have different levels from base to deluxe. I keep my overhead down and that keeps my prices down.
I have always had a 30 day money back satisfaction guarantee as well as a warranty and those are posted on my web site. Also free shipping in the U S A .
The older nozzles have optional fangs and mega fangs made to improve reverse and to improve stopping power as well as backing power , the 2019 and newer nozzles already have angled reverse built in to them from the factory, this does lower the reverse power and the stopping power somewhat but not severely. I designed a add on that is inexpensive to provide more side thrust for those but decided not to sell it after hearing complaints from people who use another side thrust that can not back their boat off the lift or trailer like they could before doing those and the reverse steering was lethargic in comparison to the stock setup, sometimes it comes down to the negatives outweigh the positives .
My super steering has come a long way from the earlier fixed stainless steel fins I made years ago.
I stay focused on improvements not just in slow speed handling but all speeds and advanced designs as well as the materials used.
My advice as always is to do your research and to decide exactly what you want your boat to do.
I also offer my personal assistance in helping you choose the best one for your needs. Always with buy direct discount prices . That way you don't have to wait to save money on your system. So one thing you want to do is drive your boat stock before you add any steering Some people like it as is and some don't like the loss of speed in turns and the loss of steering if you decelerate in a turn or the bow wander , if that turns out to be the case, My super steering can handle all that and a lot more for a very low price.