• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

“Better Boat” ratchet straps VS Boat Buckle straps?

Berberman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone tried Better Boat’s ratchet straps? The 2” ones go for 55 dollars, not many reviews but mostly positive, and some facebook jetboat groups mention them positively as well…They’re much cheaper than the 130 dollar Boat Buckles, and they’re both advertised to be stainless steel…

https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Retractable-Ratchet-Trailer-Transom/dp/B09FCF8NLD/ref=rvi_sccl_1/139-0500025-2156712?pd_rd_w=8aDuz&content-id=amzn1.sym.f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_p=f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_r=3FMW6TRC60QH71333DX4&pd_rd_wg=zuig1&pd_rd_r=811128c0-38ec-4056-ab7a-ff299da7111e&pd_rd_i=B09W4QP3N1&th=1

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My non boat buckle straps lasted two seasons. My branded straps are on season 3 and still looking and operating like new.

They're pricey, but I think they are indeed worth it.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I wouldn't get the 1" version, but if they have a 2" guess you could give that a go. I opted to pay the extra money and get the stainless boat buckles. They've been great on my boat for about 2 years. Biggest complaint on the boat buckles is the mounting hardware. Like everyone else I just went to Ace Hardware and for a few $ had stainless hardware to thru bolt my ratchet straps. I got lucky drilling my holes and didn't knick my wires. I should have just taken the lights off and made sure. Only way that's coming off is if it rips a hole in my trailer and I've got bigger problems if that happens. Also hit the holes with some cold galvanizing spray paint. I don't really boat in salt, BUT for the rare instances I might.
20201017_115449.jpg
20201017_115459.jpg

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I wouldn't get the 1" version, but if they have a 2" guess you could give that a go. I opted to pay the extra money and get the stainless boat buckles. They've been great on my boat for about 2 years. Biggest complaint on the boat buckles is the mounting hardware. Like everyone else I just went to Ace Hardware and for a few $ had stainless hardware to thru bolt my ratchet straps. I got lucky drilling my holes and didn't knick my wires. I should have just taken the lights off and made sure. Only way that's coming off is if it rips a hole in my trailer and I've got bigger problems if that happens. Also hit the holes with some cold galvanizing spray paint. I don't really boat in salt, BUT for the rare instances I might.
View attachment 181066
View attachment 181067
Which trailer guides are you using? Came of the water last Friday just when a storm was moving. Big gust of wind turned me sideways just as I was coming on the trailer and snap off o e of mine (plastic).

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If you buy anything other than the Stainless Boat Buckles you are wasting your money.

AZ_AR195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
have any of you noticed the straps are bending the mount tabs on the Shorland'r trailers? Mine keep bending backwards( towards rear of trailer ) - my guess is that the straps might be stretching so when the boat shifts while in transport it causes the bends. i made some 1/4" steel plates im welding to the trailer to prevent this from happening. Im using boat buckles that purchased a few months ago. And i am checking that the straps are not loose before driving.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
have any of you noticed the straps are bending the mount tabs on the Shorland'r trailers? Mine keep bending backwards( towards rear of trailer ) - my guess is that the straps might be stretching so when the boat shifts while in transport it causes the bends. i made some 1/4" steel plates im welding to the trailer to prevent this from happening. Im using boat buckles that purchased a few months ago. And i am checking that the straps are not loose before driving.
thru bolt them. Those holes/tabs are crap.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I bought these recently because I'm an idiot and had to cut one of my straps off when I forgot to unhook it while launching:

Strapinno 2PCS Stainless Steel Retractable Ratchet Straps (1 7/8 in x 4 ft) Transom Tie-Downs for Boat Trailer - Extra Mounting Brackets & Bolt Set, Safety Latch S-Hook, Break Strength 1,650LBS/750KG https://a.co/d/4e0WTKw