• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8HO Engine replacement 2012 242LS

Guy in a Boat

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What do you feel a 242 is worth with a bad motor but the rest of the boat is tip top?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I suggest you check the current nada value and / or the selling price of similar boats in your area that don’t need an engine replaced and deduct the total cost of having an engine repaired or replaced to determine your asking price.

mgmfrp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do you feel a 242 is worth with a bad motor but the rest of the boat is tip top?
That's a loaded question! Last year I bought a 2011 ar240 for less than $20k with a bad engine. The guy that I bought it from had already claimed it on his insurance and got (I think $25K ) from them and bought it back from the insurance company for $5k. He was asking $25k broken, and we settled on $18.5k. I was able to fix it and do all the work myself, and even added some upgrades (sea deck, thrust vectors, porta potty, ect)
I feel my boat is worth north of $40k right now in its current condition. Covid did a strange thing to current market values.
I personally wouldn't pay more that $20 to $25k for a boat like your's (because I know what it takes to fix it) I could get lucky and find a cheap take out engine, or have to pay for a new one from yamaha ($10,700 my cost for a new long block) not including labor an installation. The ebay options are there, but you get no guarantee the part will be good. The other good thing (at least in my state) there are no salvage titles for boats. This was a deciding factor for me to even purchase it in the begining. If you did claim the repair, would it affect your title status? This would obviously change the value of the boat. For me, I would fix it myself, this would be the most cost effective route. If you pay a shop to do the work ($15k plus) you will be extremley upside down in the value. If you sell it as is, you are already losing, but maybe not as much (cut your losses type of thing)
How much do you like it and what is that worth?