• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1 engine turning off

erinlugo1226

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We have a 242 Yamaha with twin engines. We went out yesterday and got a voltage warning. So we checked the wires and unplugged our phone for music to see if that would help. It stopped after a few so we proceeded on. We then stopped at a beach for about 2 hours. We left and as we were headed back home one of the engines turned off. We slowed down, turned it back on and went ahead with trip. It proceeded to turn off again, so we check the wires and to see if anything was clogging it. No issues we could see, so we turned it back on and proceeded to head back but kept both engines at a slow speed with no issues. If we stayed around 10-12mph both engines stayed on. Anything higher caused our right engine to shut off. We took the boat home, flushed it and checked everything again and didn’t see any issues. While flushing it, the right engine still kept turning off.
What would be our next step? We just bought the boat from an older gentleman 2 weeks ago and he had just had it all serviced since it only has 135hrs.

Check the clean out hatch safety switches

Check the clean out hatch safety switches

Thank you, we checked those when we checked to see if there were any clogs or anything stuck anywhere.

Ya, make sure the hatch is latched shut. You could try to move the hatch to replicate the shutting down. I would look at the safety lanyard switches, one for each engine within and the condition/placement of the lanyard key as well. Wiggle that to see if you can replicate the issue.

Last edited:
Ya, make sure the hatch is latched shut. You could try to move the hatch to replicate the shutting down. I would look at the safety lanyard switches and the condition of the lanyard key as well.

Thanks, we will check those again today. Everything on the boat is in excellent condition luckily. The guy who owned it before maintained it very well. We will definitely try to replicate it again today and see what happens.

I'm having the same issue with my 242, checked the clean out hatch switches, but it should not be the issue as one engine still runs. change plugs, and fuel pump is still working. my guess its down to the starter relay or throttle position sensor? Let us know if you find out what your issue was please.

I'm having the same issue with my 242, checked the clean out hatch switches, but it should not be the issue as one engine still runs. change plugs, and fuel pump is still working. my guess its down to the starter relay or throttle position sensor? Let us know if you find out what your issue was please.

We did all the same and cleaned out all the hatches again and charged it. We are thinking it was a safety switch issue bc now things seem to be working fine. We are on the water today again checking it out. If things changed I’ll update.

Back