• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

#1 on Bucket List...Lake Powell

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This fall, we will launch out from North Texas in our "new to us" motorhome, pulling the Blue Yonder behind us...all the way to Lake Powell. We are going to have to stop along the 997 mile route possibly twice to spend the night, but we may make it in two days. I could probably do the trip with only one fuel stop, but we will stop at least twice. We have family in Amarillo and could stop there overnight, but that is just a tad too short a leg I think, and we have family in Albuquerque as well, but that is a tad too long for the first leg. But we think we will probably go all the way to ABQ anyway and stay at a nice campground the first night. We may get gas in Amarillo and then again somewhere in Arizona to make a few stops and let Chester pee.

My questions are once arriving at the Aramark RV campgrounds at Lake Powell at Wahweap. We will enjoy the campgrounds and the lake. But my guess is we will make a one day long run to Rainbow Bridge, and other than that, will explore the closer in canyons around the south end of the lake. I don't think we will stay out late or anchor very long, it will be more sight seeing and exploration. @utahrd , and some of you other Powell regulars, hopefully you can add some dimension to our quest, and give us more insight, so we may cover as much ground without stress.

We intend to go over to the national parks Zion and Bryce Canyon. I can't decide if uprooting with the motorhome is best, leaving the boat until we return, or if we should just rent a car and go over that way. If we rent a car, the distance from Bryce puts a day trip to both out of the question. I am hoping for more logistics help in aligning our plans. I am giving consideration to also returning along the route to pass by Canyonlands and Arches National Parks on the way home, via Denver to see one of the kiddos. At any rate, we will be gone for two weeks and see many sights and knock off the first trip in the bus, as well as see Lake Powell from our own boat. Our objective is not to experience Powell fully, but to see it as best we can, and still enjoy other parts of Utah. I have seen all of these in my youth from my families first motorhome, but the lake was viewed from a distance. I just can't bring myself to drive the bus all that way, boat in tow, without seeing some other places there...my bride has never seen such wonder.

Any and all ideas and help appreciated!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
don't miss Mesa Verde NP if your going to Arches, it's worth an overnight stay to see the cliff dwellings

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What days are you planning on being there? That will determine where you want to target. Also, it may align with when we might be down there as well (we have a houseboat slipped in Wahweap marina).

If it's really later in the year and you aren't looking for hookups for your RV, you might want to target north of Wahweap bay. If it's peak season, or you want hookups then you should see if the campgrounds are open. I might be able to get you a 15% discount on the lake, a lot of people who RV stay in Page for about 35$/night. Not sure what it is on the lake w/ hookups, but off season there are plenty of beaches that have RV access.

utahrd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats!

I have been to Powell twice already this year. I will post a detailed reply with some ideas tomorrow.

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know nothing to help you out but will be following this thread. Cindy and I hope to make a trip with boat to lake Powell some day. It is also on our bucket list.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks @Scottintexas , we have been to Durango, done the train to Silverton, hit Canyon de Chelly, as well as Mesa Verde in previous adventures. They all are magnificent. Dragging the boat with us will be limiting I think and add to our consideration as to where we go, but the other places we visit is what I have to figure out. We aren't doing any water sports, just hanging out and enjoying the scenery, so we may spend only 3 or 4 days on the lake, and enjoy day trips to Glen Canyon dam and the bridge, maybe hit the north rim of the GC, and then the two main NP's in the area. The jury is still out as to whether we will go north on other days or on our return toward Moab and hit Arches, Canyonlands, or Capitol Reef, but we will do Zion and Bryce. Logistically with the boat, I don't know how to fit that together, whether taking the bus over there and enjoy a few days in their campground, or whether to take a rent car. I know that if we hit the Moab area, we are probably then going back through Denver and see one of the kiddos, but that stretch on I-70 pulling the boat isn't on my wish list. Part of me says the boat will limit me...but not on Powell! I am hoping to get input to help with that decision from this thread. I sent our dates to you @sysinu and will send to you too @utahrd , via private message to prevent advertise when we were traveling openly on the forum for security reasons. Not that any regular members would be a threat, but you never know who reads these pages.

Oh, the AAA rate at the marina campgrounds with 50 amp, water, and sewer, is $44.10 per night, and they gave a discount on the slip at the marina for staying in the campground and that is $27.44 per night. We don't think we will stay outside of a campground at Powell due to trip length. @utahrd , if you know of a spot in the campground that is better than another, pass it along if you don't mind, and remember I have an extra 8' of bus to worry about, not to mention the slides...I am 39' x 14.5' with everything open.

@Boat Crazy , you and Cindy will have to make the trek one day. The resort at Wahweap appears to be a great place to stay as well and pre bus, that was our consideration. But there are so many places as mentioned by others that you can see along the way, I just wonder if the limitations that dragging the boat puts on you are worth it. The time we did the 4 corners area, we had a blast and saw some real wonders of this world, as well as culture and heritage. We enjoyed 3 world renowned Pueblas that are known for their native american pottery (we enjoy having a few pieces of that), in addition to the trek mentioned above to Canyon de Chelly and Durango, and that week trip also included Grand Mesa in Colo., shiprock, Chama, and Taos. Another trip we took, we did Red River for a few nights, Vail for 4 nights, and Grand Mesa. Logistics kind of run together from those two trips and neither of us can remember which we covered in each trip. That tells me, that maybe we did too much? We stayed in B&B's or condos on both of them and both were summer trips in a small car (New Beetle). The bus adds a new dimension to travel, but having it and the cost to move it down the highway, kind of makes me want to resist parking it, and staying in hotels or other lodging.

Thanks for all your ideas and hope to read more, that help us to bring our trip into focus!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I just saw a 2015 google maps photo that shows the cut completely dry too. But I flew over last week and the cut had water in it, and I a saw a boat at one end of it...but I was past it before I could see if he was entering the cut. The lake will be accessible even if it is low, and that whole area is low for this time of year I think. Mead has taken a real hit. You guys that frequent these lakes know more for sure about what is good when full and good when low. I personally hope the cut is open. I only want to have to use the narrows once...to see them, and to possibly go to the Antelope Marina for lunch! But with Chester with us, we are limited. We may drive over for dinner and leave him in the bus!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I just looked...the lake is at 3590.42 feet, 10.42' above the absolute minimum for the Castle Rock cut. Hope they get more rain out there...they didn't get any snow runoff to speak of this year. Also the historic water table data shows the cut has been open all year, so the pic in google showing the cut dry is old, even tho it says 2015 on the pic.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mel, I will certainly say a prayer or two that we get the water we need. Powell is on our short list for this summer as well. We have a warm-up planned for Lake Mohave in a few months.

What happens to us is that the Colorado is fairly high this time of year due to spring crop planting. Once that's over the levels drop due to changes in releases at the dam. I'm Hoping we don't have another year where you can walk across the river!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The cut showing a 2015 google image that was used on the AAA website...
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 10.31.58 AM.png
And the current google maps image in google maps on the desktop. We have already determined that images via mobile services may not be the same as images used via a PC or MAC.
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 10.32.45 AM.png
I wish I had a link to current satellite photos!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Me too @Glassman , me too! Our lake is just a tad more than 2' below normal, but that is good...just west of the metroplex, the lakes are still WAY down, Wichita Falls and down to Possom Kingdom are still very low. So the release from Powell affects your boating in the Havasu area...I knew that but had not put 2+2 together. I will say a prayer too, that capacity is such that the cut is open, and that the release is still enough to give you guys the water!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
But the more I think about it, you have several lakes between that can control release as well, right? What a card game!

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was just down there 4/17 - 4/19 and the cut is still wet with about 10-12' of water. LPWD shows absolute minimum at 3580... this is true for about 90% of the cut. there is a part of the cut that is 3' more shallow (higher in elevation) though and it can be ultra sketchy going through. For us, it's sandstone, so it's not really that bad for us to pass when it's 3582 or 3583, but when it's above 3583 you have to be VERY careful since there is a part of the cut that is only that depth. Going through the cut, it's REALLY obvious where the boundaries are when the lake is as low as it is right now (the walls are steep and obvious that they are man made).

If you're staying in the RV park (you got good rates, by the way - I just checked and that's the same price I can get, even with having a slipped 70' boat), then depending on where the RV park is relative to the two marinas near wahweap (wahweap and stateline) would determine where you would want to slip your boat.

Bring a handheld VHF for sure, even if you have a fixed mounted one in your boat. I say this for the singular reason of... TAXI SERVICE on channel 18! You can hail wahweap marina on 18 and they will come get you in a golf cart. RV camping is a LONG WAY from the slips when the lake is this low. I'm pretty sure they will come all the way up to your camp and take you down to the marina for free (but tip them, or they start to get slow ;-) coming to get you or dropping you off).

If you're staying there for 4 days and mostly going to site see, then I recommend a couple things.
  • Book a noon tour of upper antelope canyon and bring a REALLY good camera
  • Book a dinner cruise on Desert Sunrise
  • Go to Glen Canyon Dam sometime during business hours and go on that tour (I thought it was really cool)
  • Plan a 4.5 hour trip up-lake to Rainbow Bridge (about 50 miles each way, but expect to get fuel twice - keep in mind, elevation is REALLY going to mess with your top speed and fuel economy)
  • Plan a 2 hour trip to go through some of the slot canyons (like face canyon) where there aren't a lot of people. You can combine that with the rainbow bridge tour, but likely people will be wiped out by then.
I'll let you know if I will be around when you are. There is a remote possibility we might be there the week after you and an even more remote, if one of the other owners doesn't use their week, that we will be there the same time. If they aren't using their week, I'll snatch it up for sure!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The marina office told me that they wouldn't run the shuttle service to the RV area, just to the resort. So I am bummed about that, and if that is the case, I will be renting a car as well. But logistically, not sure how to get the car/bus/boat all at once, but I am sure we will manage. Where will the dinner cruise on the Desert Sunrise take us? We are planning the Dam tour as well as the run to Rainbow Bridge, with ice cream stops but we will get fuel at Dangling Rope Marina while there! I need to look up the canyons you mention and I have one of the better paper charts for LP. It is just the two of us btw...we will be taking our time and appreciating being there for sure. If I could only get to the Escalante Arm...we were discussing hours at cruise or higher, just to get to places, we more than likely won't push it that hard. Thanks for the continued intel.

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This site will tell you the current water elevation and at the bottom will show whether the cut is passable. I'm pretty sure though that the cut will be open all summer.

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mel I wish there was a way to have a truck, fifth wheel, and full size boat in tow and stay under length. I could not make that trip without my boat, would not make it without an extra vehicle, and would want to have my own quarters too. I guess you can't have everything, at least very simply or cheaply. I have considered a fifth wheel towing a pair of jet skis, but after being spoiled with a boat, skis are just another boat accessory in my mind. And then you could fly close, and rent a car, but then less gear, and a rental boat??? Oh, sounds painful. We are all spoiled with the yamahas!!

Sounds like a fun trip.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I can always rent a car, but thanks for confirming that even if only 3 or 4 days are spent on the lake...Powell without my boat would be a severe injustice! Thanks @jawsf16

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I actually think the cut will be closed by the time you get there. Spring run off was horrible and all the down stream reservoirs are low (and California is in a drought so they are likely going to make lake powell increase outflows).

In a ski boat, the cut doesn't save you much time, so I wouldn't worry too much about it (maybe 10 minutes of time, but you want to go to Antelope Point Marina anyway!).

I intended to mention... I don't know what prohibition is like in Texas, but the Walmart in Page Arizona has prices for liquor that are about 1/2 the price as they are in Utah. So DON'T pack booze in, just go buy it there.

Edit: I'll take bets on when the cut will be closed by! I'm thinking July at the latest. By then it will be dropping 1/2 foot a day most likely.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
With only 10 feet of water in the cut, and with an average drop during the summer of over 20', I bet your right. My desire to stay out of the narrows is just because of the constant chop, if there isn't much traffic, I guess it isn't bad...but it is an extra 5 miles. I have a slip reserved at the Wahweap marina, so I will only be boating to Antelope, not launching there. Cheap booze in Page! Who'ed have thunk it?