• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

#1 on Bucket List...Lake Powell

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nope - I contemplated it a while back, but the only benefit for my family would be staying next to the water with our boat. A condo near Highport made more sense for us... until the floods!!
Ahhh, ok. Missed you guys at Murray!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think @jawsf16 was commenting on our purchase of the motorhome. You knew that we bought a motorhome didn't you @farrelltravis ? What he was saying, was that he wanted his own quarters, the boat, and a vehicle. We are going to tow the boat with the bus, and rent a car in Page while there for running around and transportation. We have a Blue Ox tow bar on the bus already, and just have to settle on a new "TOAD" (towed vehicle), mount a back plate, and we will have mobile wheels as well as a mobile house! There are aspects of the game that have certain costs and issues, but there is always a compromise to get what you want accomplished. Travis, how about meeting us back at Lake Murray to camp at Elephant Rock? It is about a mile north of the floating cabins just north of the Tipps Point launch. I know logistics is a key for you guys with a boat/5th wheel/truck...but it can be done, and even Clara has said that she should just follow me with the truck all the way to Powell! I said, "are you f'ing CRAZY?
We would totally be up to meet and camp at Murray!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I found a fogged window in the bus, and took it in to them going on 4 weeks ago. They let is sit for 3 weeks, having taken the window to a company that didn't have much of a reputation. That company didn't get on it so they picked it back up and had it sitting there at the 3 week mark. I did the leg work and found a reputable RV insulated glass repair company in Arkansas, so they had to crate it and send it to them. I have watched 2 weeks of weekends off go by without the bus and I am getting pissed. We would have already gone back up to Murray...we need to practice more before Powell!

@utahrd , can you give me the measurement from your rear wheels to the receiver hitch on the back of your RV? I am concerned that I don't have the distance from the rear wheels to the boat that you do, and I don't want to risk getting the wheels in the water or the exhaust pipe for that matter.I know the ramp is plenty steep, so it really shouldn't be a problem, but your distance seems more looking at pics, but my bus being a good deal bigger may just be an illusion of a short distance from rear wheels to rear of the bus. I am guessing I could get the marina to launch the boat if needed, or maybe find someone with a truck at the campground that might let me "borrow" their truck to launch it, but I really am following your lead on this and expecting it would be no problem. And the problem with that, is that I expected to practice this on my home turf prior...but the lake is still closed due to flooding. And it has dropped a little over a foot the last two weeks since the rain stopped...until it started raining again yesterday, and we have the remains of tropical storm Bill directly over us dropping inches of rain!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@txav8r I hear you on the dealer taking forever. I found that unless it was a major problem with 5th wheel, just to keep a list of items that needed to be addressed and waited until the end of the season to take it in and have them fix the various issues. That way, when they have it, I am not needing it. Also, if they keep it for a month or two, I don't have to worry about storing it during that time window either.

Still frustrating though that they can take so long. Seems to me it would be better to say, don't bring it in until XYZ day, that is when we can get to it or when we will have the parts, etc.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's awesome @txav8r hafe a great time!!!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Safe Travels, man! Enjoy for all of us!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not there yet. A series of setbacks on the way. We are thankful to have a Cummins service center to address the issue #1 and are delayed a day doing that. Issue two tomorrow, and glad to have found an rv service that will take a look at the big slide. Hopefully it is just a programming issue and they can fix it. Because parts are not likely to be in stock and could take days to arrive. We can go without the slide if they can secure it...but it will not allow for the use of our bedroom DVD or washing machine/dryer. So, it is Powell or bust for now!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If I can be of assistance on the phone, call me.

I have dealt with sticking slides, etc. Although, your slides are probably hydraulic, and I have never dealt with hydraulic slides.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
First issue was a check engine light that I had Cummins service run the codes. Was a turbocharger speed issue. They found the turbo speed sensor wire chaffed, Probably due to heat. Had to order the part cost me a day but we're back on the road!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We are scratching Lake Powell. Yesterday morning, about 150 miles from Powell, after the lengthy delays and shop visits, we had a coolant temperature overheat. I managed to keep the temp within limits and limped about a mile back to a gas station I had just passed in the Navajo Nation. Can you imagine turning around on a two lane in the middle of nowhere, 39' bus, pulling a 27 foot trailer? I have had to do it twice now. Probably why some never use 2 lane roads in an RV. I guess there are two schools of thought, go see Gods country, or stay on the interstate. Big campgrounds and interstates don't take me where I want to go.

So here we sit, in another truck repair, having the waterpump changed, after a 90 mile, $2000 tow. Thank God for Good Sam. They are almost finished and we will spend another night in Gallup, then move to Grants, so the tow truck operator can fix the damage he unintentionally inflicted on the coach.

We don't have the gumption to continue...powell will remain #1 on the bucket list, but won't happen this year. We may even make some serious considerations to the RV, even after all the upgrades we have done. We hope to have at least a few days in Santa Fe or somewhere else cooler and fun. But we will return home having made it within about 150 miles of Powell.
image.jpg

Last edited:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r Oh man sorry to hear that Mel. I'm sure you're pretty frustrated. I don't think I'd be able to turn around if I was that close without at least spending a day on the water. Hopefully you can find the time for a second attempt in the near future.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We are scratching Lake Powell. Yesterday morning, about 150 miles from Powell, after the lengthy delays and shop visits, we had a coolant temperature overheat. I managed to keep the temp within limits and limped about a mile back to a gas station I had just passed in the Navajo Nation. Can you imagine turning around on a two lane in the middle of nowhere, 39' bus, pulling a 27 foot trailer? I have had to do it twice now. Probably why some never use 2 lane roads in an RV. I guess there are two schools of thought, go see Gods country, or stay on the interstate. Big campgrounds and interstates don't take me where I want to go.

So here we sit, in another truck repair, having the waterpump changed, after a 90 mile, $2000 tow. Thank God for Good Sam. They are almost finished and we will spend another night in Gallup, then move to Grants, so the tow truck operator can fix the damage he unintentionally inflicted on the coach.

We don't have the gumption to continue...powell will remain #1 on the bucket list, but won't happen this year. We may even make some serious considerations to the RV, even after all the upgrades we have done. We hope to have at least a few days in Santa Fe or somewhere else cooler and fun. But we will return home having made it within about 150 miles of Powell.
View attachment 28985
So sorry to hear this, Mel! A snake bitten trip, for sure. But don't give up on your dreams. Pulling for you two, best wishes.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm so sorry to hear about this Mel. It's seemed to be one thing after another on this trip. I'm hopeful y'all can find a nice body of water on your journey back home to at least get the 'Yonder wet and stretch her legs a little. I'm hopeful that the bugs are worked out and you have smooth travels coming home.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
We woke up after having a nice wine and walking down the street to great new mexican food. Even considered continuing to Powell. Having backtracked already putting us 250 miles from Powell, backtracking another 60 to Grants for the body work will put us 310 out again and full day's drive. Logistically, we have to drive the motorhome to the airport for the rental car, then launch the boat, before we can set the motorhome in the campsite. So that makes it tough at day's end from this distance. Add to that, that I won't drive that two lane again. It is just too desolate and I need to build trust again that the bus won't let me down. So that means adding additional miles to take I-40 to Flagstaff and up from there to page. Carving off another two days plus the day of driving kind of makes it tough to plan. We only intended two overnight camps in parks going and two coming. We are now 5 nights in parks and a night of boondocking (no sleep), combined with 4 very early pack ups to make mechanical appointments. So even though we are renewed, continuing west at this point is too much to chew for us.

I appreciate all the help preparing for this trip, and words of encouragement. We will eventually get there, but we think maybe A few days R&R in Santa Fe or Taos will give us a good break.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Whatever you two decide is best. This has been a trip that needs to make a turn for the better in a hurry. I'm holding up a cold Shiner and wishing y'all the very best for the rest of your journey. 14421705785331445632357.jpgWorking on my boat trailer today.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@txav8r - Mel, I am so sorry to read of the initial run turnout. Kinda skocked to read of a $ 2k TOW. WOW.
This has been a great thread to read and keep up on, and hoping you can pick back up on it soon.
Many Best Wishes your way, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited: