• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 Hour Service Help

Mredman86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am needing guidance on finding a manual or something that provides how to do the 10 hour service. How do you guys know what to do? Where do you buy your parts. What exactly needs done? Any YouTube videos?

Our boat is at 16 hours now and the service departments are hours away and booked until July. I don’t want to park it and not use it the rest of the summer because service departments are too busy.

It is a 2019 242 Limited S bought new this May.

Any Help is appreciated!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Try typing in “Service Manual” etc. in the search bar. I just did and found a lot of folks with manuals. People who have them may not know you need help based on the title of your post. BTW, I did my 10 hour service on my own. If I can do it, anyone can. Read up on what people do for greasing the bearing casings. Some do, some leave it alone. Just a place to start I guess.

Also, I browsed through the FAQ section of this forum for oil and spark plug changing guidance. There’s some good info in there. I don’t think you have to worry about the spark plugs this early though.

Last edited:

Mredman86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Try typing in “Service Manual” etc. in the search bar. I just did and found a lot of folks with manuals. People who have them may not know you need help based on the title of your post. BTW, I did my 10 hour service on my own. If I can do it, anyone can. Read up on what people do for greasing the bearing casings. Some do, some leave it alone. Just a place to start I guess.

Also, I browsed through the FAQ section of this forum for oil and spark plug changing guidance. There’s some good info in there. I don’t think you have to worry about the spark plugs this early though.
I’ll try that. Thank you!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Absolutely! BTW, here’s the owners manual (not the service manual). This has a to do list in the maintenance section regarding 10 hour service, etc. Most of it is check this clamp, check these bolts, etc. which is important because things can become loose due to vibrations. However, most of it can be done by yourself. I read earlier that many are in your same situation due to corona.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also check linkage inside engine compartment for throttle, make sure it is hitting the stop at full throttle. Mine did at first and then my starboard was a fraction of an inch to where it didn't quite hit the stop.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Change oil and filters, check for loose hoses, fittings, etc...throw a few pumps of grease in intermediate bearings...drive boat
The thing about greasing the intermediate bearings is what I was saying some do, some don’t. For mine, I did. It required 30 cc’s, which equated to 30 pumps. I would encourage you to read this forum and make your own judgement how much to put in though.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Greasing the bearing can go either way. Two dealers here say they don't do it till 100 hr service. Yamaha has went back and forth on it a couple of times. The serviceman I asked says he sees blown rubber seals a lot on newer boats because people over grease them. He recommended to leave it alone for now. They wouldn't have done it at 10 hr service. That is one of the reasons I decided to do my own 10 hr. and save some money.

TBH I am approaching 30 hours and will probably be at 100 hr service in the next 6 weeks. I mean honestly how may times can the kids get pulled around the lake??? 4-5 hours each time we go out till they can hold the rope anymore.

Again you need to read up on it and decide for yourself or let the dealer service decide for you.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So.... I just emailed my dealer about the cost of the 10hr service change, and here's what he emailed back to me... Any truth to this??

"I recently found out that for 2020 they changed that from the 2019 model and just the standard 50 hour oil change , no after break in oil change required anymore"

I find this surprising if true. I'll email him back and ask what his source is.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, I would like to see some documentation on that. In the Owners manual Yamaha has online for our boats and engines they indicated a 10 hour service.

Also when I changed my oil there was some fine shavings in it. Not much but I assume that is initial wear. And they oil was deep gray. Since the change I siphoned out a bit of oil and it looks great with no fine shavings.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps show him the owners manual.

Please note it indicates "Intermediate Housing" at 100 hours or 1 year as well.

Last edited:

Mredman86

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well we are going to take the plunge. Ordered the oil extractor and oil today. Thank you guys!!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well we are going to take the plunge. Ordered the oil extractor and oil today. Thank you guys!!
You won't be sorry you are.
Its not difficult and rewarding you did it and saving $$ and not losing time sitting at dealer.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mredman86 Every penny you save on one thing will surely find a place in another modification or upgrade you want to do. It will be a piece of cake to do it. Just take your time and be careful not to spray any oil around the engine compartment. It can be a PITA to wipe up drops under the engine.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
(I would change my oil at 10 hours, no matter what the book says now--I do the same thing with my cars...)

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Mredman86 Every penny you save on one thing will surely find a place in another modification or upgrade you want to do. It will be a piece of cake to do it. Just take your time and be careful not to spray any oil around the engine compartment. It can be a PITA to wipe up drops under the engine.
Use puppy pads. Keeps messes down,
Getting milky oil stains from bottom and flushed out is 100% PITA.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone have a link to a good 10hr service kit (oil, filters, sparkplugs) to buy online?

P.S. The dealer apologized to me and said that he misheard; someone told him the 10hr was no longer required for the 19s, but still is for the 21s. Skeptical it wouldn't be required for the 19s either, but I'm moving on. :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Doesn't Dealer carry the oil change kit in stock? If he is close you can pick up right away and Also the spark plugs you can just get from Autozone or Murrays, etc. These are the spark plugs. NGK (6955) CR9EB Be ready for the weekend.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing I would do, now that I know better, is to check the oil level properly before you do oil change. If Dealer, during Prep, over filled, which appears happens from time to time, you want to know this ahead of time.

It is suggested to put back in, in oil, what you take out, or just a bit less to make sure you don't overfill. Half way between L and F or just under that appears to be optimal. Measure what you remove from each engine independently. If the level was too high to begin with you may put too much back in. Use it as a reference point.