• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 Hour Service

SB78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it okay to do the 10 hour service earlier? Im at 5 hours and will put a couple of hours on it next weekend, but would like to get it done before heading to the lake for the month of august, where I will certainly exceed 10 hours quickly.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would try and get it over 10 hours first. Everything in the engine is breaking in and wearing in / seating. You want to do the 10 hour to get rid of the particles and stuff in the oil. Some members even go 12-15 hours. I am sure you will figure it out.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Is it okay to do the 10 hour service earlier? Im at 5 hours and will put a couple of hours on it next weekend, but would like to get it done before heading to the lake for the month of august, where I will certainly exceed 10 hours quickly.
You can go up to 20 hrs and have no problems, I just wouldn't go over 20

SamN44

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just did mine at 15 hours. I would probably wait until at least 10 hours because one of the service points is checking for loose nuts, bolts, and screws. Gotta put some hours on to have the loose ones wiggle out.

bleudyno

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What exactly does the 10 hour service include? The nearest Yamaha authorized service center is 45 minutes away. If it’s mainly the oil change that is important then I was just going to do it myself. It’s it really necessary to take it to the dealer?

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can view the manuals for free online at Yamaha's site. There are various saftey checks, inspections ect. Along with oil and filter change, pull plugs inspect ect., my dealer wanted me to bring it in at 20hrs, said 10 was unnecessary. But I wasn't planning taking it to them anyway. I think I did mine around 17 hrs.

SB78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like my usual mechanic up at the lake is a yamaha dealer, so fortunately he can do the service for me after 10 hours. I did some cutting and pasting from the manual and put the 10 hour checklist together - see pic. Seems like a glorified oil change to me.

1595174583103.png

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Looks like my usual mechanic up at the lake is a yamaha dealer, so fortunately he can do the service for me after 10 hours. I did some cutting and pasting from the manual and put the 10 hour checklist together - see pic. Seems like a glorified oil change to me.
It is basically just an oil change, and a look to see if there are any issues. We had a couple minor issues with a seat and some gelcoat scratches that were fixed when we did the 10 hour service (was 12.6 hrs for us and dealer said that was fine). For warranty reasons, we let the dealer do the 10 hour, but all future changes I'll do myself with the genuine Yamalube kits which gives you extended warranty on the engines.
Note Canada has not yet added watersports products to the list but I'm sure they will do so soon - I'll be inquiring about that directly with Yamaha Canada soon.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My dealer, who is a big and well respected dealer said to wait till 20 hours as the 10 hour is a waste of money. They said they would do it if I wanted but they is really not much point. I am waiting to 20 and brining it to them.
I would do whatever you feel comefortable with. Whatever your decide, if you get it serviced within 20 hours you'll be fine.

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length

View attachment 126416
One thing not in the checklist, but under the care section of the manual is to grease the intermediate housing at 10 hours. There are lots of threads on this since it can cause issues if not done right. I would do a search if your thinking about doing it yourself.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did the service on my own @ 15 hours last year, changing the plugs was a waste of money in my instance. My dealer told me I didnt have to change the oil filter until 100 hours, I dont know if there is any truth to that but I decided to change the oil/filter @ 70hours for peace of mind.

cpthook

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer, who is a big and well respected dealer said to wait till 20 hours as the 10 hour is a waste of money. They said they would do it if I wanted but they is really not much point. I am waiting to 20 and brining it to them.
I would do whatever you feel comefortable with. Whatever your decide, if you get it serviced within 20 hours you'll be fine.
I called the Yamaha Motor Corporation marine customer support line directly: (866) 894-1626 and spoke with a technician who told me between 20-25 would be ideal for initial break-in service. He also told me they no longer call it a "10 hour service" because of this recommendation. The manual will still list what's recommended at the 10 hour mark though.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did mine at about 15 hours, intended to do it at 10 - but went a bit over that using the boat the weekend prior. THE METAL SHAVINGS THING IS NO JOKE!! Once I started getting most of the oil out, I started noticing the remaining oil I was extracting was getting darker, and then became glittery with all the metal shavings! Check out the picture of what all the metal shavings looked like in the tube. 20200701_123840.jpgSo if the oil coming from the engine looks like that, ABSOLUTELY I would change the oil filter when doing the 10hr oil change, you need to remove it anyway to get all the oil out - and it's cheap.

So now... I'm a believer in 10hr oil changes for brand new engines! Think I'll do the same for my new lawnmower I just bought. :)

P.S. I took video clips of me doing the 10hr oil change service on my AR210, I'll upload to Youtube and post here once it's finished.

StanM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did mine around 20hrs and let the dealer do it the first time to avoid any warranty issues. I am doing my own future maintenance and record keeping.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a video for anyone who wants to learn how to do the oil change for their 10 hour service:

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And here's part 2 video for the 10hr service:

SB78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback guys....I got it up to 7.6 hours and just dropped it off at the dealer. I am going to be doing my own maintenance going forward and can check everything myself at 20 hours, but at least I'll have a record of the dealer having performed the service.

Camson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is it a requirement to take it to dealer for initial 10 hr to maintain warranty? I'm at 8.2 and was wanting to do it myself as my closes dealer is 3hr drive. I'm not sure about winterizing as the best fishing down here is from now to Feb and I plan to use it at least 2 times per month. Rarely does it freeze here and when it does, it does not stay freezing for days. I think I could put a space heater in my boat barn if need be.

Stan M

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length
Is it a requirement to take it to dealer for initial 10 hr to maintain warranty? I'm at 8.2 and was wanting to do it myself as my closes dealer is 3hr drive. I'm not sure about winterizing as the best fishing down here is from now to Feb and I plan to use it at least 2 times per month. Rarely does it freeze here and when it does, it does not stay freezing for days. I think I could put a space heater in my boat barn if need be.
I'm watching this because I asked a similar question last week.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It is not a requirement to take to a dealer, keep receipts and documentataion and doit yourself, it is not difficult