• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

15+ AR240 tower fix?

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anyone came up with a fix or solution for our towers yet? I haven't been out for about two weeks but will probably go have a look at it to see.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I havent seen anything posted as of yet.
I have been out quite a bit, some wakeboarding here and there and havent found any problems. Have lowered the tower and inspected the threads a few times. It hasnt been a real concern but if a quality safety mod comes out i will implement it.
I for one havent had much time to delve into it myself. Been enjoying my free time too much

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I made a pair of longer knobs. I probably realistically only have a couple more boat days available this season. Will put them on over the winter. I still need to determine a final length, cross drill and insert a nylon slug, and cut a dog point on the end.

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went out this morning (did a lil surfing) and looked really close at the hole and it doesn't look stripped but can see it is wearing down just a bit. Counted 6 full turns. Since Yamaha isn't owning up to it to prevent a possible accident I'll make it a winter project. Hope I can come up with something...anything to beef it up some.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Interested because i would love to upgrade!
Was thinking of a pin and locking pin but it would require a precision drilling and some sort of bushing between aluminum tower and stainless pin.
Just donate a boat to me and we will get to work.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's the knobs so far. I bought blank knobs, drilled, tapped, and counterbored. Had to run a die up the socket head cap screws to thread fully. There was only about an inch of thread on them as purchased. Aluminum and 316 stainless doesn't necessarily play well together but I'll keep an eye on them.

I have a design worked up for a true locking knob but that will be a winter project for sure.

IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2092.JPG

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Here's the knobs so far. I bought blank knobs, drilled, tapped, and counterbored. Had to run a die up the socket head cap screws to thread fully. There was only about an inch of thread on them as purchased. Aluminum and 316 stainless doesn't necessarily play well together but I'll keep an eye on them.

I have a design worked up for a true locking knob but that will be a winter project for sure.

View attachment 63091 View attachment 63092
Looks sharp! Generous amount of removable (blue) locktite will help with corrosion. But will be a pain if you lower tower often as i would.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the current fix recommended by Yamaha is below.

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious to see what you will come up with this winter @McMark. Im sure if all the 240 guys put our heads together we should have a solid fix for this.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 63091 View attachment 63092
@McMark This is fantastic! And thank you for sharing @McMark.

This should have been Yamaha's responsibility though.

I started looking into the tower safety mod but unfortunately needed to stop as I realized I can't even look at this piece of shit my Yamaha "boat" without getting seriously worked up. Can't have it. I will most likely be switching brands this Fall.

Very interested in your progress as I couldn't possibly sell the boat in good faith without addressing this issue.

In the meantime, however, I picked up a related project. As a result of which we might be able to elevate this debacle to a little class action thingy, so stay tuned. I don't want to say more at this point, but boy... the way they decided to handle this may turn out to not had been the smartest.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thanks @McMark and @swatski. Your mods are great. But I'm one of the the few that have to collapse the tower after each use for storage.
If I upgraded to the Ar240 I would be putting it down for garage storage every use. However, I am looking at putting in an 8'6" garage door, but it may not be possible. Even so, I like my boat in the garage when not in use!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @McMark and @swatski. Your mods are great. But I'm one of the the few that have to collapse the tower after each use for storage.
Within the existing mechanism, increasing the length of thread engagement seems to be the key to safety.

You can do this easily by (adopting @McMark's new bolts idea or) grinding/filing the factory bolt plastic stem (like I showed in the other thread/post #319) AND removing the spring/washer/nut from the factory bolt to enable it to thread in deeper. You can easily get almost an inch of engagement with the modified factory bolt. That would pretty much guarantee some much greater level of safety without any additional mods.

The only inconvenience really would be longer time for deployment (14+ turns vs 6-7) and the inconvenience of not having the spring to bounce it and the possibility of loosing the bolt (which would not be secured with the nut - internal, inside the leg).

--

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Minh Nguyen if you need any help or somebody to hold the tower (I'm better at being the person who runs and gets the tools) let me know,

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Within the existing mechanism, increasing the length of thread engagement seems to be the key to safety.

You can do this easily by (adopting @McMark's new bolts idea or) grinding/filing the factory bolt plastic stem (like I showed in the other thread/post #319) AND removing the spring/washer/nut from the factory bolt to enable it to thread in deeper. You can easily get almost an inch of engagement with the modified factory bolt. That would pretty much guarantee some much greater level of safety without any additional mods.

The only inconvenience really would be longer time for deployment (14+ turns vs 6-7) and the inconvenience of not having the spring to bounce it and the possibility of loosing the bolt (which would not be secured with the nut - internal, inside the leg).

--
Spring to bounce it? What does this spring do?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Spring to bounce it? What does this spring do?
The handwheel bolt has a spring in it (sliding onto the shaft) that needs to be pushed in in order to start threading.
The other thread has some pics and video clips of the mechanism and the spring in action.

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The handwheel bolt has a spring in it (sliding onto the shaft) that needs to be pushed in in order to start threading.
The other thread has some pics and video clips of the mechanism and the spring in action.

--
But what's the point of it?

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To keep the bolt retracted to not hit the tower base when you lift it up.