• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

165 HO wont start

jables101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm having trouble staring my 165 HO for the first time this season. I have a feeling its the emergency engine cutoff switch as that gave me some trouble last season.
The gauges come on and I hear a single click sound when I turn the key. Battery is good. I tested the starter solenoid fuse and I'm only getting 2 volts with the key turned to the start position. Any ideas?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi, I can practically guarantee you have a failed relay (or two). You have two in your boat. They are the same and located inside the fuse box right behind the BATTERY. I recommend you buy two at your local BRP dealer (any BRP dealer can get these) or elsewhere. Replace one at a time until it starts. It's doubtful you blew two at the same time, but in case, I would recommend you buy a couple of extras while you're at it. I keep two spares in my boat just in case. So a total of 4.

The symptoms you describe have been reported many, many times. It's common to blow them when something is shorted... likely when you installed the battery (or your dealer?). I've never personally had this problem... but make sure your main power switch is off whenever you connect the battery and make sure all your cables are on the right terminals.

Other post referring to these relays. https://jetboaters.net/threads/rotax-owners-keep-this-handy.13017/#post-228410

jables101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
All I did with the battery was connect the trickle charger a few times over the winter. I'll test the relay.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Don't forget, there are two relays in there to check.

Yeah, for some reason, many people have issues with their relays. I don't know why... I've never had a problem with mine, but I do keep a couple of spares in the boat. Talking with electronics technicians/engineers at work, they only realistic way these fail is due to a short (or wear over a long period of time). But yet, it seems people do very little with their batteries and have this problem quite frequently.

The "click" you describe is pretty much the typical symptom of this problem.

jables101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I tested the relay and its not even getting power. Any ideas what could be wrong before the relay?

jables101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Also tested my "dead man" switch and it is working properly. So maybe its the neutral sensor? Anything else I should check?

jables101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
So after unplugging and re-plugging the relays it cranked. Not sure what the problem was. Maybe the relay stuck or a bad connection.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Sure the relay was in the correct orientation? Apparently they fit either way... although I've never tried. lol

jables101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I don't know how it could have got switched around?! Who knows... I have a spare relay coming to keep with me on the water.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Battery could be dead, but looks great until you put a load on it. Where are you measuring those 2 volts? If it's on the side of the starter, the starter draw could be lowering your voltage.

If you put your voltmeter on the battery and crank, does it go down to 2 volts on the battery too?

jables101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Battery could be dead, but looks great until you put a load on it. Where are you measuring those 2 volts? If it's on the side of the starter, the starter draw could be lowering your voltage.

If you put your voltmeter on the battery and crank, does it go down to 2 volts on the battery too?
I got it cranked. After unplugging / re-plugging the relays it started. Definitely wouldn't be posting here if the battery read 2 volts.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad you got it! Like I said, sometimes the battery seems perfect except when you crank, and if you don't measure voltage at that exact time you might think all is well (Maybe not you, but someone else that didn't know this could happen) hence my suggestion. No judgement intended or implied.

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I got it cranked. After unplugging / re-plugging the relays it started. Definitely wouldn't be posting here if the battery read 2 volts.
Same thing, Neither one of my motors on my 215 would start beginning of the season. Nothing happened turning the key. Went down a bunch of rabbit holes before I started unplugging and re-plugging the relays. Eventually fired right up like nothing happened. Keep a bunch of spare in the glove box now.

Ekun

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Had this same issue over the weekend. 165 Ghost has been struggling to start the past couple of weeks, and not turning over on the first turn of the key. Then it just died. When I turn the key to the first place I get the sweep then when I turn it to ignition just a single click. I had already ordered in 2 new Omron power relays after reading the post above a while back. So I plugged in the new relays but nothing changed. Still got the sweep, then single click and no ignition joy. I trickle-charged the battery, checked the dead man switch and checked all electrical connections and it all seemed fine. Finally took it into the shop and they said it was the starter solenoid, which they replaced. Works fine now, so just a note for everyone else, once you try replacing the relays, check your starter solenoid. There is another thread here about the same issue with a part linking for a starter solenoid for the 195. Not sure if that also works for the 165 if you want to go DYI... https://jetboaters.net/threads/scarab-195-starter-solenoid-part.11357/. At the shop I used here in Kelowna, I seemed to get very lucky as I got the starter solenoid replaced, an oil change, coolant system pressure tested and the tube from the coolant reservoir replaced as it was leaking for only $465 CAD.

Last edited: