• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

17 Mastercraft NXT VS 18 Yamaha 242x

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do people really use the head in these things?
We use ours. My wife is not native to boating and for some unfathomable reason has the inability to urinate in the water...? I keep it onboard so I don't have to drive 3 miles back to the marina every time she has to pee.

It's illegal to drop a deuce in the lake here, which rarely happens (can't remember a time) when we were out on the water. I'd make a special trip back for that. The cleanliness of the beaches at Lake Powell have really improved since they started enforcing poport-a-pottys.

So, I for 1 see it as a necessity.

Last edited:

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No thanks on the boat pooper. Yes to a big storage compartment. We are potty training our 2 year old now, and there is zero percent chance I'm bringing those nightmares to my boat. It's not just my kids either my aim is often questionable at best.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mastercraft makes really nice boats, but in my opinion and experience, they aren't the best option outside of watersports. Wake boats are basically a shiny tractor where a Yamaha is more like an SUV. If you really want to surf, go Mastercraft because a Yamaha will NEVER produce the same level of satisfying wave like an inboard wake boat. The trade-off though is smaller interior space, they are slow (like 35mph slow with a high alt. prop which is what you want/need for surfing), thus very inefficient for cruising, and they are very heavy to tow for their size. You also pretty much double the chance that you will hit something and do serious damage to your boat. My buddy just did $10k in damage to his when the prop grabbed a log and jammed it between the hull. If you want a good all around boat, go Yamaha. If you want a great tow big for water sports, go Mastercraft. Personally though, I would look at the Supreme's over the Mastercraft. The ram fill ballast is the shit and their hulls produce a better wave.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Mastercraft makes really nice boats, but in my opinion and experience, they aren't the best option outside of watersports. Wake boats are basically a shiny tractor where a Yamaha is more like an SUV. If you really want to surf, go Mastercraft because a Yamaha will NEVER produce the same level of satisfying wave like an inboard wake boat. The trade-off though is smaller interior space, they are slow (like 35mph slow with a high alt. prop which is what you want/need for surfing), thus very inefficient for cruising, and they are very heavy to tow for their size. You also pretty much double the chance that you will hit something and do serious damage to your boat. My buddy just did $10k in damage to his when the prop grabbed a log and jammed it between the hull. If you want a good all around boat, go Yamaha. If you want a great tow big for water sports, go Mastercraft. Personally though, I would look at the Supreme's over the Mastercraft. The ram fill ballast is the shit and their hulls produce a better wave.
I agree with this pretty much 100%. The first line does remind me that we are very close minded when it comes to boats. We only see the products that are significant in the world we live, or the region we live in. Both Yamaha and Mastercraft produce monster boats outside of the boating world that we all reside in.

Even though I agree that Mastercraft builds really nice Tow Boats, I cannot agree that they are not the best outside of Watersports. They are just not the best outside of watersports in our region. They in fact produce more revenue annually selling very large cabin cruiser boats than they probably do in tow boats. There are just not in my region, so I often forget that they are even in that market.

As I said, I agree with what you said, but I have to admit my own ignorance when I forget about MasterCraft as a master yacht builder. As we hardly ever see boats on our lakes larger than 35ft. I do understand the point you were making.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can't discount the shiny aspect though. Just like automobiles 90% of us would be driving around in a smart car if our car actually fit our needs.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree with this pretty much 100%. The first line does remind me that we are very close minded when it comes to boats. We only see the products that are significant in the world we live, or the region we live in. Both Yamaha and Mastercraft produce monster boats outside of the boating world that we all reside in.

Even though I agree that Mastercraft builds really nice Tow Boats, I cannot agree that they are not the best outside of Watersports. They are just not the best outside of watersports in our region. They in fact produce more revenue annually selling very large cabin cruiser boats than they probably do in tow boats. There are just not in my region, so I often forget that they are even in that market.

As I said, I agree with what you said, but I have to admit my own ignorance when I forget about MasterCraft as a master yacht builder. As we hardly ever see boats on our lakes larger than 35ft. I do understand the point you were making.
I actually had no idea they made anything other than tow boats. Do they sell their yachts under the Mastercraft name?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hmm. I've never heard of Mastercraft making cruisers. They don't show up on their website or in a quick Google search I ran. I would say this - if looking at inboard wake boats, don't limit your search to one brand. There are many to consider in that similar price bracket, some of which might suit you better than others.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What you are buying with the Mastercraft is a great watersports boat our of the box. No offense to anyone here, but the Yamaha is still not a "great" watersports boat out of the box. However, you are giving up other features if you chose the Mastercraft over the Yamaha.

That said:
  • Yamahas are amazing swiss army knives of boats with an "adequate" surf wake from the new system. Start playing around and there is more to be had out of the wave.
  • Dedicated wake boat boat guys still add weight, bags, wedges in search of the perfect wave.
  • Unfortunately, 70k doesn't buy all that much today when talking NEW boats.
  • The Mastercraft NXT is not in the top 3 of my favorite surf waves, but might be in yours.

Now that I've pissed everybody off :D, chose what you like (and I do like shiny!) and enjoy it!!! Life is too damn short to worry about haters.:winkingthumbsup"

Last edited: