• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

190/192/195 vs. 18ft. Bowrider with 4 cylinder engine

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello again, I was here a few weeks back seeking info on Yamaha jet boats and received some great info. As such, I thought that I would pose another question.

My wife has found a left over 2017 AR 190 at a local dealer. The dealer had a 2017 AR 195 and a 2018 AR 195 that both sold. She likes the forward leaning tower and the walk-a-bout layout of this boat. What I am struggling with is how much performance can be found with a boat that has the same size engine in it that my 2007 FX/HO Waverunner does. My preference would be a bigger boat with two engines, but both of us do like the smaller boats for ease of trailering, manuverability, etc.

Essentially, my question is how would a single engine 190/192/195 compare performance wise to my boat listed in the thread title? Currently, my I/O will run about 42 mph with a full tank and two adult passengers.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Not sure what your layout currently is, but I recently went from a '92 19' I/O bow rider to an SX 210. Single biggest factor for me was the seating arrangement. I went from 2 captain chairs and a bench across the back in front of the engine to the much more spacious layout of the Yamaha.

My Celebrity said max capacity was 8. But once you got 8 on board, there was no more room to move... way to cramped. The 210, says max capacity is 9... but I think it will do that comfortably.

As for top end, the 210 may have a little more speed. I think the Celebrity was about where you are in that department. I haven't been over 36 so far, but feel like I've still got throttle left. Biggest difference there is the noise. I don't think I hardly ever ran the I/O over 4,000 rpm. These are turning at least 7,500 rpm all the time, it seems like. So, sounds way different and my 2011 doesn't have some of the new sound dampening features that the newer models have.

I know you're asking about the 19'. I don't have any info about that, but thought I'd share as a recent (not quite a month) convert. :)

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have never driven a 190 so I can't make a definitive recommendation, but my initial thought is that if you like your waverunner performance, definitely hold out for a 195. I am generally very pleased with the performance of my 192 and a 195 will be a step up from there. Yamaha's 19ft boats are a great option if you only boat with 6 people or less IMO. I don't think you'll find a more spacious 19' boat out there.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We bought a 2014 190 so that we can tuck it away in our garage. Its louder than IO boats we've been on. The fastest our boats ever ever run was 42 with no bimini up, clear water and probably a half tank of gas. Disclaimer here, we don't care about top speed. Most of the time we're loaded to max capacity (4 adults, 4 kids), Big sun tent, 4 to 8 chairs, cooler, sand toys.... We'll hit a cove and swim, beach out and let the kids play. We're so more than happy with our 190. When the kids want to tube or we go wake boarding we've never had an issue with pulling power. All the guys are about 200 lbs. Fully loaded we can move all of us and our stuff across the lake at 36mph. Still seems pretty quick to us. If you need the speed and performance and you see yourself running wide open all day go for the 195 with its 160 mm pump, but keep in mind you'll be buying high octane fuel and probably lots of it. Theres no fuel efficient boat and when you run wide open, they drink it.

Last edited:

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a sx190
Ribbon delete mod
I had 8 ppl on boat the other weekend and a few coolers
We was still going 35-36 mph
No problems getting on plan

I used to have a 4cyl 19ft bat liner
Biggest turd I ever owned it tools days to get in to plane out and forever to get to 40mph
This boat is night and day different and very fuel efficient, if you go ar195 you'll have more power and about twice fuel usage but if that don't matter get a 195
I'll end up with a 210 or 212x in the next few ears I hope but this is the nicest 29ft boat I have ever had

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The 190 will perform better than your current boat and 195 will far exceed your current boat. As I had 190 and currently have a 195.

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. My current boat has the standard two captains chairs layout, but is somewhat cramped. This is why I am leaning toward the layout of the AR. My current boat does have an unusually big sunpad for a 19 foot boat that is nice.

I will have to give some thought to the fuel issue between the 190 and 195. I don't do that much cruising, but I hate purchasing high dollar gas as well.

My Waverunner has the non supercharged engine, but it sucks fuel far beyond what I ever envisioned a jet ski using. Not sure I want anything worse than that as far as fuel burn goes. Added performance is nice, but it isn't a deal breaker. The amenities of the 195 would be a bigger enticement for me than the higher output motor.

Still having a bit of a mental hurdle buying a boat that essentially has the same size motor as my Waverunner.

Last edited:

motoman006

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
190 requires 87 octane and 195 requires 91 octane and burns more
I have a sx190 with captains chairs it's still way more roomy then my old bayliner
Ya no Sun deck but I have a bow filler cushion that is the sun deck
The rear ha a swim deck which is much nicer in my opinion

You won't be disappointed either way if you worried about power buy the 195
Or buy a twin 1.8 212 Yamaha

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If you can swing a 21 footer with the 1.8s you will be very happy compared to the 19s

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My first boat was a '98 Rinker 182 (18'6" LOA) with the Mercruiser 3.0L 4cyl and Alpha 1 Outdrive. It was a good little boat. My '17 AR190 is better in damn near every way thinkable. It's louder, that's about the only downfall. The AR190 rides better, has more space, uses about the same amount of fuel, planes faster (even near max load), has a smoother ride, is lighter to tow, has a more shallow draft, has fewer moving parts, takes less maintenance and winterization, and looks cooler.

I have ZERO regrets, and would most likely never consider another I/O boat after owning this one.

Also, we went looking for a 24ft and came home with a 19ft......bigger isn't always better. Take a good hard look at your needs, wants, budget, and planned use before you plunk down $30k plus on a new vessel.

WK_Austin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We recently switched from an 18 foot bow rider with a 4 cylinder (Mercruiser 3.0) to a AR190. We LOVE the seating arrangement, the swim platform, and storage capacity. Even though the AR190 is only slight longer on paper, there seems to be just a lot more usable space. We've had 4 adults and 4 kids (ages 5 to 10) in the boat, and that was just fine.

The AR190 seems to be a bit quicker to accelerate, but I would say I don't notice any significant performance advantage one way or another. Since we don't care much about top speed nor spend a lot of time cruising at high speeds, our impressions are based mostly on pulling kids on tubes and running to our favorite coves. The only downside is that that the engine does seem louder, which probably is a given since it generally runs at higher RPMs, but it doesn't bother us.

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm sure that I would be happy with either a 190 or a 195. Part of me still gets tickled at having a boat with the same size engine as my Waverunner has. That said, the little remaining "speed demon" in me would like two engines, but I really don't need the bigger boat and the unnecessary added fuel costs.

viper15

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm sure that I would be happy with either a 190 or a 195. Part of me still gets tickled at having a boat with the same size engine as my Waverunner has. That said, the little remaining "speed demon" in me would like two engines, but I really don't need the bigger boat and the unnecessary added fuel costs.
If there is a speed demon in you, get the 195. Even though it's a 19' boat, it is the fastest. The larger two-engine boats do have some good top speed, but they just can keep up with the supercharger! Now, if they did a 21 footer, with twin 1.8L superchargers ... that would be something!!!

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
For the speed demon: The 195's can run 60 mph with under $2000 in mods.

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
60 MPH on a 195? Now, we are talking....lol

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's okay. I like to wrench, so I would likely be interested. That said, probably more inclined to do some on a used boat instead of a new one.

BTW, how did your tower fiasco turn out?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

vetplus40

Reaction score
Boat Make