• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195 HO with 161 mm impeller

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Has anyone tried the 161 mm impeller and if so how were the results?

TIA

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You cannot use the 161mm impeller without the 161mm wear ring, and some slight modification because the 161mm wear ring uses a set screw to help avoid slippage. As far as I know, no one here has tried it yet, but it has been done on RXP/T-X seadoo crafts with the 260hp engine, and it has netted some good results. The 161mm impeller is capable of moving 30% more water through the venturi. Please use the search feature on this forum to find your answer. This question has been asked several times already. Welcome to the community.

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I ordered the Solas SX-CD-13/18 so it should be here Monday. Hopefully I'll be able to test it by the middle of the week and report back. Everything I read so far says it will work with the 161 mm trim ring and the pump housings are the same. I'm only worried about not having enough horsepower compared to the RXP 300 hp and losing low end / mid range.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remember the set screw. It should be easy to drill and tap the housing to install it.
10-32 X 3/8in

Looking forward to see your results. Also, be careful of the Solas 13/18's. They have had a bad batch of props split off blades while under load. Good luck!

I ordered the Solas SX-CD-13/18 so it should be here Monday. Hopefully I'll be able to test it by the middle of the week and report back. Everything I read so far says it will work with the 161 mm trim ring and the pump housings are the same. I'm only worried about not having enough horsepower compared to the RXP 300 hp and losing low end / mid range.

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Remember the set screw. It should be easy to drill and tap the housing to install it.
10-32 X 3/8in
Our pumps already have two set screws so you just need to drill two 5/32 hole in the wear ring and screw them in.

I was able to get the 161 mm wear ring in with freezing the ring and propane torching the pump. It took me two tries but after searching other people have had issues too, it's just more work than a 159 mm for some reason.

I took the boat out with less than stellar results, max rpm was 6700 rpm at 35 mph. The boat just doesn't have the power to support additional water volume. Faith seemed to have good results with the Solas 14/19 so that will probably be my next plan. I'm going to call Solas and see what they recommend though.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/impeller-pitch.14535/#post-253926

FYI for the performance geeks, our density altitude was roughly 1300 ft today. One day I'm going to hook up a boost gauge.

Attachments

Last edited:

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Just a small update, switched to the Solas SRX-CD 14/19 impeller per Faith's suggestion and sure enough 45 mph. I bought my boat with 57 hours used and could never go over 37 mph and was always disappointed compared to others reported performance. I had to switch back to the 159 mm wear ring but I did notice some cavitation when trying to go full throttle from a dead dig. I'm going to assume this is normal like spinning the tires with a numerically higher gear ratio. I'll just learn to control the throttle and enjoy that it's running again.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You were only getting 37mph with the stock 250hp setup? What RPMs were you seeing? That is low. I get 45-46mph on mine with 93 octane fuel, and good water conditions.

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
It's always locked at 8000 rpms, I assume that is the factory rev limiter.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seems you are getting a good bit of cavitation. Check your seal from your pump to the hull. Early boats had silicone sealant that peeled off, and caused a leak. Let me see if I can find one of those threads and Ill post it.

It's always locked at 8000 rpms, I assume that is the factory rev limiter.

Patrick d

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Scarab Mike hello I just wanna run this by you! After some research I have found that the scarabs with the 250hp supercharged engine/engines already have a 161mm wear ring and impeller! The 200hp uses a 159mm and the 150hp engines use a 155mm. No wonder it was so tight when I installed my impeller in a 159mm ring. It shaved some off as soon as I started the boat all is well but just wanted to clear this up. This comes straight from scarabs spec sheet on their website!

Attachments

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I believe I found that chart on the Scarab website when I was doing research. I can confirm that my 2014 is a 159 mm.

There's a big difference between tight and having 2 mm of interference. There's no way you could put a 159 mm wear ring on a 161 mm prop. You would have a giant pile of shavings....

Patrick d

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
I believe I found that chart on the Scarab website when I was doing research. I can confirm that my 2014 is a 159 mm.

There's a big difference between tight and having 2 mm of interference. There's no way you could put a 159 mm wear ring on a 161 mm prop. You would have a giant pile of shavings....
Ok this was info from the 2016 chart do u know what year they changed from 159mm to 161mm on the 250hp engines? Because I'm 100% the 2016s use a 161mm it's in the chart and I have the pump in front of me

Patrick d

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Confirmed with BRP and dealer it is a 161mm wear ring and impeller on all 2014-2018 scarab 250hp model engine pumps.

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2016 mid year build and I have a 161mm, so my question is did they change the pump to or is it the same pump different wear ring and prop ?

SVTSINR

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 2016 mid year build and I have a 161mm, so my question is did they change the pump to or is it the same pump different wear ring and prop ?
This is probably confusing people, what part number did you end up using? 161 mm?

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Boat came with the 161mm, at this time there is not a 161mm after market impeller for the 195 at this time. You can go with solas srz-cd 15/20 or 14/19. 159mm impeller and change the wearing to 159 mm.
The 161mm impeller for the 300 seadoo is not pitched correctly for the 195 scarab.