• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Problems with new 165

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
3 weeks ago I took possession of my new 165 and have been able to spend 10 minutes in it. On it's maiden voyage I could barely get out of the hole with 3 people in it. With 4 it wasn't possible. When I put the hammer down it will plow and then cavitate. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it with a new pump housing out of a 165 HO, I take it back up to the lake, drop it in, it runs but no propulsion. None! I take it back out, back down to the dealer, and am told the 2 pump housings are not interchangeable and the driveshaft was not engaged. The dealer then overnights a new pump housing from Scarab, puts it in, does a "wet test" and all it does is cavitate again. Not very happy with the dealer or Scarab right now. Looking for ideas, anyone?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Now, the biggest question is did you sea trial your boat? If you took possession of a boat without being tested, then Im sorry to tell you that you have a long fight ahead of you with the dealer and Scarab. There should have been a checklist that was supposed to be filled out during the sales process, testing the boat, and final delivery. I would ask for that form from the dealer.

If the form was filled out without you being present, you have a good legal case against the dealer. This should be brought to Scarab's attention.

The jet pumps ARE interchangeable. All current 1503 Rotax models have a 161mm pump. The only difference is forced induction/intercooling, and tuning. Thus far, I challenge the knowledge of the dealer with its products.

Also, its impossible for the engine to run without propulsion unless the the impeller/shaft isnt attached. There is no clutch/transmission with the Rotax power-plants. Once the boat turns on, the water will start to flow, and the boat will move.

Whats the dealership's name, and city?

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the boat in your possession or the dealers?

Check to see if the reverse gate is moving out of the way when you put it in forward. If the bucket stays in neutral you will cavitate.

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is the boat in your possession or the dealers?

Check to see if the reverse gate is moving out of the way when you put it in forward. If the bucket stays in neutral you will cavitate.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf I would have though that would have been addressed by the second time they had to take it apart to replace the pump. No way to do that without removing the cable. There is no connection to the motor from the throttle stick, the motor is fly by wire. The only connection is to the reverse bucket.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New line of boats = new dealer network = mechanics still learning!!

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The boat is now at the dealer. The dealer is not on water,therefore no test drive. The gate does move out of the way when moved into forward. Alpin Haus in Amsterdam NY. I am also questioning the experience of the service dept.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would call Scarab directly and lay down your expectations. Give them 1 week to repair if they can't fix it get a new boat. Don't let this go on and on.

I wish you could post pics of the impeller and housing and intake grate.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scarabski Thats your problem right there! Check the Bowden cable that connects the throttle handle to the reverse bucket. You should be good to go.
But dont ever take possesion of a boat without a sea trial. I have seen boat dealers trailer their boats 3 hours to make sure their product performs to its new owner's expectations.

Get some pics of her on the water!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scarabski Thats your problem right there! Check the Bowden cable that connects the throttle handle to the reverse bucket. You should be good to go.

Get some pics of her on the water!
I think you misread his post??

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The nozzle is clear when in forward. I will never buy again with out a sea trial, bet on it.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is Scarab (Rec Boat Holdings) number and address.

(231) 775-1351
25 Frisbie St, Cadillac, MI 49601

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Drive wise, how similar are these boats to a Seadoo?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Almost identical to the late model challengers, sportsters, and speedsters. Some of the high end jet ski also.

speedindevil

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Other
Hi, it's josh from alpin haus, I saw this while I was looking to see if anyone has had similar issues, since these boats are new to the market. I apologize for the amount of time it is taking for us to really get this thing right for you, but I've been racking my brain trying to think of any possible cause for its issues. I've replaced the pump housing, checked everything I can think of, I'm doing my best, but there's nothing really obvious that's causing it. One way or the other it'll be fixed by Saturday. I'm probably not supposed to be posting this, but I just wanted to let you know that we are doing everything we can to try and get it fixed for you.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great news!

I suspect you might have an impeller issue. Maybe it got dropped at the factory and has a bent blade.

Looking forward to hearing the resolution.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi, it's josh from alpin haus, I saw this while I was looking to see if anyone has had similar issues, since these boats are new to the market. I apologize for the amount of time it is taking for us to really get this thing right for you, but I've been racking my brain trying to think of any possible cause for its issues. I've replaced the pump housing, checked everything I can think of, I'm doing my best, but there's nothing really obvious that's causing it. One way or the other it'll be fixed by Saturday. I'm probably not supposed to be posting this, but I just wanted to let you know that we are doing everything we can to try and get it fixed for you.
Great to see you are working to resolve @Scarabski 's new boat's issues and are standing by your product.

Also, welcome aboard, @speedindevil ! Dealers that want to participate in the community here are very welcome. It is a great place to share lessons and experiences, learn, and just hang out!
I am sure other dealers here would agree that participating in a forum like this, when done with the right attitude, can be a classic win-win for both the dealers and the boat owners/enthusiast community.

Cheers!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@speedindevil

If you have still have issues, you may want to post pictures. Maybe one of us can help, there is a wealth of knowledge here. There was a member here that had a similar issue, and it was that the computer was locked into "docking" mode. He was able to remedy the situation by resetting the ITS by holding the mode and set buttons for 6 seconds while on ignition mode without starting the engine.

Also, I would make every effort to sea-trial boats before you deliver them. This issue could have been seen before the boat was delivered.

Last edited:

mrlanemeyer

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The dealer is not on water,therefore no test drive.
I thought this too when I bought my first boat and it was a total lemon. When I bought my Yamaha I asked for a lake test. The dealer literally just gave me the boat for the day. They weren't even going to send someone with me until I asked for it. If they want to sell the boat they'll find a way to give you a lake test.