• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Problems with new 165

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
sounds like too much play between the impeller and the pump liner. or a bad set of splines on the drive shaft.

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, here's the update, Josh and the guys have been working overtime on this problem. kudos to them And Alpin Haus for trying to make this right. The service dept. has been in contact with Scarab and Seadoo to resolve this. The concensus was the seal on the ride plate was not right, they replaced the seal per Scarab/Seadoo's instructions. No change, still cavitation. After talking with Jim whom I assume is the head tech, we came to a conclusion that's this boat maybe a lost cause. Jim spoke to the Sales Manager and I think we are going to upgrade to the HO impulse if we can agree on a fair price. Alpin Haus seems to want to make this right, hopefully we can make this happen.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Upgrading sounds good but make sure they move every cent you paid into the new boat.

Ziess21

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@speedindevil Welcome, and Kudos for posting here! Hope this is resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok, here's an update. Alpin Haus and I agreed that this boat is cursed, and I told them I didn't feel comfortable with it. So, we bailed on it and are switching it for a 165 HO impulse, on my dime of course. The dealer gave me the same preseason discount on the new boat, I think it's a good deal, not great. I will say that Alpin Haus has gone out of their way to get this boat ready for me by today! Gonna pick it up in an hour, it should be wet within 2.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scarabski glad to hear everything is being taken care of. The HO Impulse is great, you will not regret upgrading. Maybe things happened for a reason. Now like everyone else will tell you........ Pics or it didnt happen,lol.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now that's a good dealer who understands how to make things right.

Congrats and have fun!

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It works!

Attachments

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@speedindevil, Josh, everything went great yesterday! No problems at all! Thanks for all your help! I also want to give a shout out to Alpin Haus, they really did their best to make things right with this trans action!

Scarabing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
3 weeks ago I took possession of my new 165 and have been able to spend 10 minutes in it. On it's maiden voyage I could barely get out of the hole with 3 people in it. With 4 it wasn't possible. When I put the hammer down it will plow and then cavitate. I took it back to the dealer and they replaced it with a new pump housing out of a 165 HO, I take it back up to the lake, drop it in, it runs but no propulsion. None! I take it back out, back down to the dealer, and am told the 2 pump housings are not interchangeable and the driveshaft was not engaged. The dealer then overnights a new pump housing from Scarab, puts it in, does a "wet test" and all it does is cavitate again. Not very happy with the dealer or Scarab right now. Looking for ideas, anyone?

Scarabing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Scarabski
i believe I am in the same boat literally. I purchased the green scarab 165 HO impulse that was on the showroom floor from the same dealer. Dropped it in the water day one and I cant get it out of the hole. Total cavitation. I purchased their last scarab 165 so switching out may be a problem. This dealer is not the problem, scarabs quality control is. Josh is doing what he can but his hands are kinda tied. Not sure who you spoke with to get things resolved. Any advice?

Last edited:

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I have found on the net.....

1. The impellar is damaged and cavitating (creating air bubbles around it). and it gets no bite in the water, and you get no speed.

2. This is probably the most common reason. The there is to much of a gap between the impellar and the wear cone. Here is a picture of your typical seadoo pump.

View Full Image

#1 is the impellar. #8 is the wear cone. The gap between the cone and impellar can be no larger than .010 of an inch. If it is larger, the impellar slips, and you get no thrust. You can measure this from the back of the jet pump, through the nozzle, with a set of extra long feeler gauges. (available from snap on). That is a wear and tear item, and most likely the cause of the problem.

3. The 3rd reason is that the pump is getting airbound. This is caused by a loose grate on the bottom of the ski. however, when this happens, it will usually pick up some speed, and then the impellar will blow out.

All 3 need to be examined further. But if there is no damage to the impellar, then the most likely culprit is #2.

Scarabing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thank you for the info @ScarabMike makes total sense. The only jet boat ive owned before this one was a 19' baja with a 460 ford big block. The Berkeley jet drive was bullet proof. I sucked up rocks and vibrated to a stop, pulled it apart removed the rock and back on the water. These seadoo jets seem to be very temperamental. Didnt expect this from a new boat. I wonder if it is a pitch issue on the impeller. it appears to be throwing water out faster than bringing it in.What I'm looking to do is order a new boat and let them problem solve both this one and @Scarabski old boat . Thanks again

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Scarabing, I completely feel your pain. I looked at that green one before I choose the yellow one. Hang in there, I am sure Josh and the guys are working overtime to figure it out. I can tell you that the flys once it gets sorted out! I have about 4 hours on ours now and I can't wait to really open her up. Good luck! Where are you using the boat?

Scarabing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Saratoga Lake mostly, but the Mohawk River When short on time.is there one particular person that help to straighten things out.

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Scarabing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Good to know thank you. Your first boat is now a $30,000 lawn ornament outback. they may have two lawn ornaments by the time this is Done. Where do you run your boat?

Scarabing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I hope you get things straightened out @Scarabing . I cant imagine the frustration you guys have and are feeling. Hopefully these are growing pains, and these issues get passed on to the dealer network so the end user doesn't have to deal with them.
Thank you, ill update when they figure it all out. @Scarabski boat is out back on the back burner. Now with two they may push harder for answers. Hope im back on the water before they find out these answers