• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Problems with new 165

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Having the same issue with my 195 HOI although yours sounds much worse. I also cavitate pretty bad when i try to go WOT. Max RPM never goes to 9000 though. Under load the top RPM is 7800-- bout 40. When trying board or ski, it just spins unless I move the steering back and forth to catch the water. Very frustrating and embarrassing for a new boat. It's at the dealer now but when I dropped it off they said 2-3 people in the boat was Max what I should have, which I called BS since they sell ballast system for the boat which would just add even more weight. I too can't set cruise and have it hold speed. Slows down and then i have to pull back throttle and cancel the feature. Overall, I feel a bit duped because when I purchased the boat, I was looking at other boat brands and propulsion types and marine Max told me this boat would do everything I wanted, it's just not happening. We'll see what they end up doing, but it's Saturday and im not on the water. Frustrating

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's awful @luke anderson Usually cavitation at higher RPMs is caused by missing sealant, or air getting into the pump somehow. This seems to have caused a few guys issues with the newer Scarab boats. Hopefully the dealer can get better info, get your pump fixed and you'll be back out on the water soon.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board Luke, sorry to hear about your experience we have some members who are very happy with their Scarabs but others as this thread suggests,

either way I would feel duped also and you dealer has certainly exposed themselves for who they are (2-3 people on the boat, what a joke, how can they say that???)

dale

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Now, the biggest question is did you sea trial your boat? If you took possession of a boat without being tested, then Im sorry to tell you that you have a long fight ahead of you with the dealer and Scarab. There should have been a checklist that was supposed to be filled out during the sales process, testing the boat, and final delivery. I would ask for that form from the dealer.

If the form was filled out without you being present, you have a good legal case against the dealer. This should be brought to Scarab's attention.

The jet pumps ARE interchangeable. All current 1503 Rotax models have a 161mm pump. The only difference is forced induction/intercooling, and tuning. Thus far, I challenge the knowledge of the dealer with its products.

Also, its impossible for the engine to run without propulsion unless the the impeller/shaft isnt attached. There is no clutch/transmission with the Rotax power-plants. Once the boat turns on, the water will start to flow, and the boat will move.

Whats the dealership's name, and city?
Hi I also have had major problems with my brand new scarab 165 HO when I first got it after less Than 1 hour on it the engine light comes on and goes into limp mode and then over heats I shut it off paddle back to the dock and find that the engine compartment is filled with antifreeze take it back to the dealer and they said the ride plate was defective and cracked from factory they replaced it and I went for another ride and after 2 more hours fuel gauge no longer works so I decided to just leave the gauge tell fall as I wanted to use it as much this summer as possible but now I have 12 hours on it and the engine light is on again and back into limp mode but engine looks fine and sounds ok but won t throttle up so I guess I am taking it back to the dealer again!!!! I am not to happy with these problems but I must say that if they can get those kinks worked out this is the funniest boat I have ever owned it is amazing to drive. Like a big jet ski you can spin it around and corners on a dime all other features are great dash stereo etc but if the engine issue continues then doesn't much matter how fun it is a race boat with no engine might as well of bought a canoe!!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dale glad to have you on board and also sorry to hear about your problems, hopefully they'll get fixed soon,

update your location on your profile screen so we know where you are,

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I stopped in to Alpin Haus yesterday morning to drop off the paperwork for our first 165 and they said that Scarab was taking it back as well as the green one Scarabing had problems with.

They had a red 165 on the showroom floor, fortunately for me.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Scarabski Thumbs up to you for being persistent. I hope you get a good boat finally, and enjoy whats left of the boating season. Its sad that you guys have gone through this mess.

Cheappc-ari

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Heartbreaking guys, I bought a seadoo speedster 2011 in 2012 which almost the same boat as the 165 and never, not once sis I have an issue, knocking on wood.

It's been 3 years absolutely trouble free, and I didn't have a lake run, next boat I get I'll demand one.

Now I was planning to buy a Scarab, and this is scaring me, it's unbelievable they had to give someone's money back..

I'm hoping Scarab is reading this, not acceptable.

Scarabski

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So here we go again! The new boat started cavitation a few weeks ago, right before my 10 hr service. The dealer took a look and said there might be a bad seal somewhere. At first it wasn't bad, but Sunday I tried to get out of the hole with 2 people and I had to back off pretty bad to get the cavitation to stop. I called the dealer and they went and got it from our camp today, I think they are going to look at it tomorrow.

Cheappc-ari

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Unbelievable, doesnt sound right, I got 3 years 40 hours on my boat, I took it out this Saturday 8-22-2015, with my kids we had a great time, its been 3 years knocking on wood, im not sure whats going on because the scarab 165 is identical to my speedster 150? so what gives? How could the new boat have that problem? whats up with quality control..

Wow i was totally looking into buying a scarab?

Bry-n-Jess-165/HOI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well, just thought I would chime in with good news,. My 165 is in shop for its 25hr oil/filter change and check up. It's been running awesome (besides sucking in a wood chip for a 10min panic) .
hang in there and Scarab should be pulling their heads out of their asses soon and be putting great running tested boats at the dealers for you to enjoy.

Scarabing

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
[QUOTE arabski, post: 126217, member: 2116"]So here we go again! The new boat started cavitation a few weeks ago, right before my 10 hr service. The dealer took a look and said there might be a bad seal somewhere. At first it wasn't bad, but Sunday I tried to get out of the hole with 2 people and I had to back off pretty bad to get the cavitation to stop. I called the dealer and they went and got it from our camp today, I think they are going to look at it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Hey Scarabski, haven't been on the blog for a while but im was interested in giving the scarab 165 one more try next year. Looks like your having problem with your second boat now. Should I reconsider buying a Scarab 165 all together?

Ray Rosas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
BTW with only 6 hrs on my 195HOI I had the panic of cavitation caused by a chunk of wood smaller than the size of a quarter. what I learned (to share) is that you need a special tool to take 2 of the 5 bolts off on the grade underneath. Long nose plyers or in my case we use a long screwdriver to pop it of the blade. We then use a water hose on the other end to flush it out the grade. I was concerned on the small scuff the seal but seems to ride normal and cavitation is gone... This forum has been a life saver for my stress.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length