• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195 running funny

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
[USERGROUP=9]@HELP[/USERGROUP]

Flushed the engines the other night and sound seemed off. Out on the lake now and it doesn’t want to run full throttle. Rpm’s keep bouncing. Doesn’t like above 7k

Obvious first check is the spark plugs and coils. Some engines are more sensitive than others.

With RPM fluctuations at high load I would inspect supercharger clutch. If it's engaging/slipping at high load it will lead to those fluctuations as boost comes on/goes off. It's also a known failure point and should be ruled out first.

How do I check the supercharger clutch?

I also noticed that the throttle housing was very hot. It's hot out there but that felt much warmer than anything else.

Checked the clutch with the hose off, spins freely to one side, rock solid won’t move to other side.

Checked the clutch with the hose off, spins freely to one side, rock solid won’t move to other side.
That sounds good.

If the throttle inlet is hot, that might indicate a clogged intercooler. Do you have good flow through the intercooler? I'm unsure how to check, but I'm sure there's a thread on it around here somewhere.

When I say throttle I just want to be clear I mean the throttle on the helm.

I will search for intercooler info.

airfilter looked pretty dirty idk if that could be an issue.

airfilter looked pretty dirty idk if that could be an issue

Boat air filters typically stay clean. Is the air filter oily?

Can you replace the air filter for testing or try running without it?

Looks like I have some line wrapped around. Could this be the issue?

F4A5726E-A1CE-4248-A0A1-F9A60E10A030.jpeg

View attachment 177176

That will cause cavitation which typically causes vibrations in the boat and certainly could cause variation in RPM.

Get the fishing line out of there. It may be easiest to pull the pump and slide it off of the shaft.

I got the fish line out, not sure if that could have been a problem

More pictures…. Here is the air filter.

Also looks like some damage toimpreller as well as the gel coat around it.

6291713B-B52F-40B6-99E8-8BD66F26103B.jpegE77422BC-75C6-42E4-BED2-E200F13C9CA2.jpegF1157D34-C2D3-4D76-A495-00E79857131E.jpegE77CFEBD-6503-422D-8FF0-13EE611D44C5.jpeg

View attachment 177176
Could be. You may have had a whole lot of line and that’s all that’s left.

Mines done the same inconsistent RPM thing one time and didn’t do it again. I’ve changed the plugs since, but nothing else.

@adrianp89 I would pull that impeller and hand straighten/file that leading edge back as best you can. Then consider sealing up that intake tunnel.

The air filter doesn't look bad really. Little dirty, but not oily like there is a problem.

@adrianp89 I would pull that impeller and hand straighten/file that leading edge back as best you can. Then consider sealing up that intake tunnel.

The air filter doesn't look bad really. Little dirty, but not oily like there is a problem.

Alright - time to find a youtube video on that lol.

Could be. You may have had a whole lot of line and that’s all that’s left.

Mines done the same inconsistent RPM thing one time and didn’t do it again. I’ve changed the plugs since, but nothing else.

I put in brand new plugs about a month ago - tightened to spec. If the fishing line/impreller fix doesn't work I will check there next. It runs great until I get to that 7k mark.

That will cause cavitation which typically causes vibrations in the boat and certainly could cause variation in RPM.

Get the fishing line out of there. It may be easiest to pull the pump and slide it off of the shaft.

It does seem like cavitation is decent way to describe the issue. Runs great to 7grand then likes to bounce back down, if I rev full throttle it revs/bogs down/revs/bogs/etc.

if it's convenient, I'd put it back in the water and see how it runs but I'm only 10 minutes from the water, otherwise my next guess would be spark plugs and then impeller

if it's convenient, I'd put it back in the water and see how it runs but I'm only 10 minutes from the water, otherwise my next guess would be spark plugs and then impeller

I am about 15 minutes away from several ramps (luckily one fresh water one) - I will take it out in the morning, not enough time left today. I will bring some stuff to check plugs while on the water.

you found the issue also check your oil and be sure it is not overfilled but the fishing line will do tit every time

Back