• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1950s to early 60s Whitehouse Apache restomod.

Notboatguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Being a desert guy I have never built a boat. Wife says get a hobby or risk great bodily harm. Ok FINE! I'm gunna, (thats right I said gunna) gut this little boat and restomod it into a cool little lake cruiser. I want to put a discreet little personal watercraft jet set up in it. Thats where all of you come in. You can offer advice or just revel in what this crazy redneck is gunna do to this little boat.
IMG_20230402_123223174_HDR.jpg

Fair winds to you...I don't think that will buff out. Lol. A jet repower would be a great project for that B.O.A.T.

Last edited:
I bought a 57 winner seafire (14’ fiberglass boat) with plans to graft a seadoo 155hp to it.

Only problem was I got the ‘86 mercury 60hp engine it came with running. So I’m looking for another project boat.

Fail winds to you...I don't think that will buff out. Lol. A jet repower would be a great project for that B.O.A.T.
Fail winds to you...I don't think that will buff out. Lol. A jet repower would be a great project for that B.O.A.T.
Lol no doubt about the buffing. I have built hot rods,4x4s, motorcycles,sand rails and all manor of motorized murder machines. When I saw that cute little boat my first thought was (hey I bet I could drop a small block chevy up in there but then the responsible adult came out of me ( I HATE THAT GUY)and decided a nice little cruiser would be more appropriate.

Sounds like a cool project. :cool:

Hope you start a build thread so that we all can follow along!

Jim

Lol no doubt about the buffing. I have built hot rods,4x4s, motorcycles,sand rails and all manor of motorized murder machines. When I saw that cute little boat my first thought was (hey I bet I could drop a small block chevy up in there but then the responsible adult came out of me ( I HATE THAT GUY)and decided a nice little cruiser would be more appropriate.

Damn auto correct, was supposed to be fair not fail. Lol

Sounds like a cool project. :cool:

Hope you start a build thread so that we all can follow along!
For sure. Trying today to pick it up and get it home. Going to build a rotisserie to put it on for ease. This is definitely going to be an adventure for me and many laughs and disbelief over what I'm doing. Rest assured no matter what modifications I make to it, it will be a sound craft. Ok hold my beer and watch this.
Jim

That is interesting as hell! Keep us updated as you build.

That is interesting as hell! Keep us updated as you build.
For sure, tried to pick it up yesterday but the gentleman was unavailable to meet me there. As soon as I pick it up the adventure begins. For everyone. I'm gettin kinda a full custom garage vibe from the old girl. It will either be WOW or Is this dude smokin crack?

My co worker does some maint on retro boats here in Tampa. The keep everything period correct except the outboard lower unit is converted to an electric torquedo set up. Pretty cool to see, not fast all all, more of an eye catcher than a wake maker.
IMG_2858.jpeg

@Notboatguy

First things first.....I want the backstory on how that boat got abandoned in the middle of the desert in Carlsbad. Best I can remember (lived in Roswell for a good stretch of my youth), there aren't many lakes out there. I learned to ski on Lake Van in Dexter, and it's only because it was shallow enough my stepdad could stand there and hold me up while the boat took off. So, I really really want to hear how that boat got there, there's gotta be a cool backstory to be had.

Next.....If I had unlimited time, and a decent budget; I would look into finding a crashed ski and use it as a donor. That looks like a fairly small boat, so any modern 1.8L or 1.3L Yamaha engine/pump setup would work well in terms of power and reliability. You're obviously going to have to do some fiberglass work to make it all fit and look proper. I'm more of a wrench turner than true craftsman, so doing stuff like body work, fiberglass and carpentry feel very difficult to me. If you're not afraid of those, then I suspect you'll be just fine.

I think you can make a PWC trailer work as well. Going to need to "reshape" it a bit. Likely move the axle back, and stretch the frame some for the added length. If you've got the chops to build a sand rail, you'll get this knocked out no problem.

Please start a build thread and keep us posted. Some of us are likely to add significantly to the knowledge you have/need to make this work. The rest of us (myself included) just like to live vicariously through others :D......Either way, welcome aboard!

@Notboatguy

First things first.....I want the backstory on how that boat got abandoned in the middle of the desert in Carlsbad. Best I can remember (lived in Roswell for a good stretch of my youth), there aren't many lakes out there. I learned to ski on Lake Van in Dexter, and it's only because it was shallow enough my stepdad could stand there and hold me up while the boat took off. So, I really really want to hear how that boat got there, there's gotta be a cool backstory to be had.

Next.....If I had unlimited time, and a decent budget; I would look into finding a crashed ski and use it as a donor. That looks like a fairly small boat, so any modern 1.8L or 1.3L Yamaha engine/pump setup would work well in terms of power and reliability. You're obviously going to have to do some fiberglass work to make it all fit and look proper. I'm more of a wrench turner than true craftsman, so doing stuff like body work, fiberglass and carpentry feel very difficult to me. If you're not afraid of those, then I suspect you'll be just fine.

I think you can make a PWC trailer work as well. Going to need to "reshape" it a bit. Likely move the axle back, and stretch the frame some for the added length. If you've got the chops to build a sand rail, you'll get this knocked out no problem.

Please start a build thread and keep us posted. Some of us are likely to add significantly to the knowledge you have/need to make this work. The rest of us (myself included) just like to live vicariously through others :D......Either way, welcome aboard!
Sorry had a busy week. Yes I'm definitely going to document the whole process with pictures and story time. Lol
I may make some videos plus do my best to ride the backtrail of this sweet little boat.
This may be more of an adventure for y'all then for me. This will be my first boat. The ADULT in me is going to first and foremost make sure I build a sound craft. However the master fabricator/ REDNECK in me is going to make some changes. Lol (how big can metal flake be?) Regardless if it fails or succeeds we bout to have an adventure my friends.

Ok here we go. I am picking up the boat in the morning. Got close and personal with it Friday afternoon.
What did you batcrap crazy boat people get me into? Lmao. She's a bit rough but not to worry. Y'all are in for a treat.

Love the lines! First thing that popped into my mind was the original George Barris Batmobile! You’re switching to jet, just like the Batmobile. Do a sick double windscreen and that divider bar down the middle with a tow point on top for water sports!
1684638765363.jpeg

It appears that it comes with a spare tire. I’m sure that will come in handy. Seriously though, I’m really looking forward to seeing how this turns out. My old boat was a ‘73 Glastron V-156 and I got a lot of compliments on her at the boat launch. Old boats can be pretty cool.

Ok she is home. Whew this is gonna be an adventure for sure. Recreational cannabis is legal in New Mexico right?

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_114741808_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_114741808_HDR.jpg
    999.7 KB · Views: 27
Got half the desert warshed outta it. Doesn't look too bad at all. Oh sure there is ALOT of work to do but I think we have us a pretty good starter but what do I know. I'm not a boat guy

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_151449358_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230521_151449358_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20230521_151435409_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_151435409_HDR.jpg
    963.3 KB · Views: 24
Back