• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195S Stereo Upgrade Questions

nonissan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Hello all,

I'm going to upgrade my factory 195S stereo

I was thinking, since the factory Recon 5S speakers are rated to 50 watts RMS, that I could get a 4 channel, 400 watt amp and use one channel for the front speakers, one for the rear speakers, and have 200 watts left for two tower speakers... would that be too much of a mismatch having 100 watts on the tower speakers and only 50 watts on each of the cabin speakers? Would this be a good setup, or would it leave me wanting more power?

I was going to add a powered sub as well. Was thinking about putting all of this, along with a second battery, in the aft, port storage

I know Wet Sounds is the popular choice around here. Any other brands I should consider?

Am I missing anything here besides wires and fuses?

Thanks!

Tim

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So yes you can put front speakers on 1 channel, and rear speakers on 1 channel. That will still leave you 2 open channels. However, and it's a big However, your speakers and Amp must be rated at 2ohm stable. Most wetsounds amps are 2ohm stable, but I don't think the stock recons are.

Now a great suggestion with that in mind is go with a 6 channel amp instead. Giving each speaker its own channel. No worries of overworking or overheating then.

Last question is what tower speakers are you going with? Wetsounds towers are very very power hungry. What ever tower speakers you decide to go with your going to want to push them to their maximum power. So if they are rated at 400 watts rms... give them 300minimum

nonissan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So yes you can put front speakers on 1 channel, and rear speakers on 1 channel. That will still leave you 2 open channels. However, and it's a big However, your speakers and Amp must be rated at 2ohm stable. Most wetsounds amps are 2ohm stable, but I don't think the stock recons are.

Now a great suggestion with that in mind is go with a 6 channel amp instead. Giving each speaker its own channel. No worries of overworking or overheating then.

Last question is what tower speakers are you going with? Wetsounds towers are very very power hungry. What ever tower speakers you decide to go with your going to want to push them to their maximum power. So if they are rated at 400 watts rms... give them 300minimum
Thanks Hoyt!

That makes sense about getting a 6 channel vs 4, except, if the stock Wet Sounds only handle 50 watt RMS, then I'll either be overpowering them or underpowering the towers (planning on WS towers as well). If that's the case, it's really either replace the stock speakers and run a bigger amp, or run two amps in order to have everything properly powered?

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks Hoyt!

That makes sense about getting a 6 channel vs 4, except, if the stock Wet Sounds only handle 50 watt RMS, then I'll either be overpowering them or underpowering the towers (planning on WS towers as well). If that's the case, it's really either replace the stock speakers and run a bigger amp, or run two amps in order to have everything properly powered?

If your going to run wetsounds Rev tower speakers then yes you'll probably want a dedicated Amp for those alone. Rev tower speakers are incredibly power hungry. I use 2 syndx6 amps as you have seen. Reason for that is the syndx6 Amp puts out 400 watts rms bridged on channels 1&2,3&4.So ch1 and 2(bridged) go to one tower speaker, and ch3&4 bridged to other tower speaker. That gives me 400 watts rms to each tower speaker (I got it turned down slightly too about 350). This is not possible without bridging using wetsounds amps.

Now for your cabin speakers..... you can easily run one speaker per channel. Even though the channel puts out more power then speaker can handle. You just tune the Amp to the power you want. I still have recon speakers in my bow running off another syndx6 Amp. One speaker per channel no problem.

matskoviche

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm also in the same boat, literally. Was thinking to forgo towers and instead add two more cabin speakers + 6 channel amp. Would like to do a powered sub as well. Hoping for a decent upgrade for a grand or less.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm also in the same boat, literally. Was thinking to forgo towers and instead add two more cabin speakers + 6 channel amp. Would like to do a powered sub as well. Hoping for a decent upgrade for a grand or less.
You may be able to do a kicker amp within your budget - I’m running 4 cabins stock WS recon 6 off a KXM400.2. Wired in parallel (amp is 2Ohm stable) each speaker is getting 100w rms tuned back slightly. Haven’t blown one yet (although was hoping I did as an excuse to upgrade). The stock WS actually perform great with that setup.

you’ll have $500 or more left in your budget to add a powered sub. Won’t touch @Hoyt system but it’s VERY respectable.

Kicker KXMA4002 KXMA400.2 2x200-Watt Two-Channel Full-Range Class D Amplifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCTYK2S?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_7FV5S6VHXEW76FT47NAK

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What boat is that? We like pictures.