• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1994 seadoo sportster

Nono

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have purchased a 1994 seadoo sportster with a 578 Rotax in it. The motor needs replacing and my question is this, can I take a jetski motor from a 1995 seadoo gtx jetski and drop it in the sportster without major retro.

yes look into using a 650 or a 787 more hp and should fit in it's place the 787 was an error I meant to say the 717 those are interchangeable with the 587 I had a 587 in a 2 seat jet ski and it was a slug I can't imagine one in a boat hull

Last edited:
I think the 650 and 717 are the easiest to bolt on. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC can probably confirm, I think you need a different shaft length if you buy a 787, depending on the hull, which is a little more powerful but has RAVE valves that add a little maintenance. The 717 is quite reliable, and I THINK can be bolted on. (as can the 650) Lots of material on the web on the topic. Best of luck!

EDIT: I was curious, your rev limiter may be lower for the 580 so if you want the full power you want the ECU with the 717 so you can have your full 7000 RPMs that the 717 can deliver vs your current 6500RPM your engine is limited to. Lots of info out there, good luck! If you can, humble suggestion, purchase a SINGLE carb option like what was on the 1999 Sportster 1800, so you only have to deal with a single carb.

Last edited:
I would like to upgrade to the 650 or 787. But is plumbing and electrical locations and sizing the same?

650 and 717, close enough.
787 less similar= More $$$ to make fit.

Thanks very much for your help.

New to the form just picked up a 94 seadoo sportster and the seat covers are dried out and the pontoons are shot and advice or referrals where to look for replacement

Back