• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1996 Regal Rush XP 120 jet boat - Broken Control/Shift Cable

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Surprise, Surprise!
I bought a 1994 Regal Rush 90 hp boat the other day so now you and I are "in " the same boat!
I bought mine for the spare parts, but it is a little good for scrapping. Unfortunately it has the threaded impeller which needs to be repaired and refurbished.
Too bad I didn't have it when you needed your parts!
I have a question about the boat.
There seems to be a fair amount of water under the seat where the water from the deck collects to drain back to the bilge.
There is enough trash to slow down the draining and I looked through the seat mount holes and can see what looks like a canned fire extinguisher down there and no easy way to get it out.
Any advice on cleaning the inside of the hull?
Plans include fixing the boat at least enough to use as a test fixture for the engine.
Check my post on "moment of insanity" or some such.

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Congratulations!!! It is a fun boat BUT the most important thing is to start it often, when you get it running.
Cleaning the bilge area I used Supertech Engine Degreaser and for the Hull On & Off. Be careful of the toxic smell - contains several acids. Do it outside- very corrosive. Then chlorox cleaner.
Good luck! Keep posting your progress!
Ski

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My real question is the area under the seat where the floor of the cockpit drains.
This seems to be in front of the gas tank and is inaccessible to get the fire extinguisher I can see a little of out.
Unless it was left there to blow up in case of a fire and spread it more evenly.
Trash and gunk under the rear seat is tending to block the drain from under the seat to the conduit under the fuel tank.
I was wondering if you understood the below floor drainage better than I.
I haven't decided if I want to fix and use the boat or pull the spare parts I want and scrap the rest.
To use the boat and perhaps to even run it at the dock to test the engine I might have to spend some money getting the threaded impeller repaired.
I assume your boat has the later splined impeller installed.
The engine I have has the carbs with the choke plates and not the enrichment valve, but the basic "short block" will work with my 1995 Hobie.

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
I have no idea how to get under the seat “inside” the hull. And you found a fire extinguisher there! WOW! Wonder if it was overlooked when the boat was manufactured. Can you attach photos? Maybe a separate thread to get input from other Regal Rush owners.
Ski

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Just a thought! If the rectangular plastic gas tank were to be removed would you have access then?
I will examine my boat and get back with you. Hopefully tomorrow.
Ski
PS I don’t know if you have viewed them but when you are bored with nothing else to do I have a number of Regal Rush videos on YouTube under RogerASkiVideos.

Last edited:

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think that if I remove the plywood piece behind the seat back I can get the fire extinguisher out.
Lord knows how it got there.
It is a white regular small fire extinguisher and a plastic mounting bracket.
I think it will be easier to pull the plywood than the tank.
I have pulled the carbs to clean them and I have a quote from Impros to redo the impeller.
The ignition parts should be here next week so perhaps I can get the carbs done and start putting everything back together when the impeller gets back in a few weeks.

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Put the control box back in the bulkhead and took her for a spin! 40 mph and NO vibration. I tweaked the control cable pivot in the control box. In full forward the bottom of the gate is about 1/8” above nozzle. Great power, but crawls a bit forward in neutral. I did not mess with the cable shift bracket attached to the nozzle because I was fearful of snapping the bolt(s) off.
Is there any way to adjust the neutral that doesn't affect the forward position of the gate?

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think that it is normal to creep forward in "neutral", but you could adjust the neutral position down a little and see if that helps.
Make sure that you have the bucket out of the jet when forward or you will get vibrations.
By the way do you need any Regal Rush parts?
I have decided that the desire for spare parts is greater than the desire for another boat.
I am pulling the sport jet and associated pieces for spares for my Hobie jet skiff and getting rid of everything else
I have a manual for the early Sport Jets and it's instructions are better than the newer ones.
I copied the section on the drive adjustment.
I hope this helps

Attachments

Last edited:

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Thanks for the advice and procedure! At least at this point I don’t need any parts that I can think of. I will be sure to keep you in mind if I do.
Ski
PS took her out today and ran to 47 mph and NO vibration! :)
Working on YouTube video for reverse gate stop washer repair.

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
As a result of the control/shift cable breaking it sheared the reverse gate stop washer and bolt off the nozzle. Here is what I did to repair it:

Thanks,
Ski

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great write up
I would do some things like that, but I lack the patience to record anything while I am working.
I might take pictures to remind myself how something came apart.
I think that I am going to strip the parts I need and scrap the rest.
Keeping up two boats is probably more than I want to do.
I like the Hobie Jet Fisherman and I just want spare parts to keep it running and no new parts are being made.

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
How will you sell the parts? EBay? We have something here called Swip Swap on Facebook. It tends to eliminate having yard sales. Plus it is free.
Please let me know so I will be in the look out! As you well know there is always something that will need fixing! haha
Take care and good luck,
Ski

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
While repairing a broken control/shift cable recently I noticed that the foam exhaust seal(s) were deteriorated. I only changed the starboard side seal because the steering cable was not broken and it would have added more time to the repair.

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Great write up
I would do some things like that, but I lack the patience to record anything while I am working.
I might take pictures to remind myself how something came apart.
I think that I am going to strip the parts I need and scrap the rest.
Keeping up two boats is probably more than I want to do.
I like the Hobie Jet Fisherman and I just want spare parts to keep it running and no new parts are being made.
Hi, it's been a while. I posted about my latest challenge - 1996 Regal Rush XR120 - Steering. I narrowed it down to a broken tooth on one of the gears in the helm. I should be receiving the new helm tomorrow. Are you selling the parts off your 1994 Regal? I was wondering about the steering cable part number and the size - condition of the steering wheel. Please let me know when You have a chance.
Thanks,
Ski

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I need to see if I pulled out the steering cable before I sold the remains of the boat and trailer.
Maybe yes, maybe no...
I have slept since then so I will have to take a look in the spares box.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
I think that it is normal to creep forward in "neutral", but you could adjust the neutral position down a little and see if that helps.
Make sure that you have the bucket out of the jet when forward or you will get vibrations.
By the way do you need any Regal Rush parts?
I have decided that the desire for spare parts is greater than the desire for another boat.
I am pulling the sport jet and associated pieces for spares for my Hobie jet skiff and getting rid of everything else
I have a manual for the early Sport Jets and it's instructions are better than the newer ones.
I copied the section on the drive adjustment.
I hope this helps
Do you still have parts?

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a number of parts, what do you need? I hate to sell parts that will work on my Hobie Jet Fisherman, but if you need something in particular tell me what you need.

Roger Ski Gapinski

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
Hi, it’s been a long time! Thanks for the suggestion about correcting the creeping. I went back to my photos and videos. It looks like when I readjusted the gate it may be 1/8” too low into the nozzle at full throttle. I used to go 47mph alone in boat. Now I go 44mph at full throttle.
Exact position in neutral I’ll have to recheck. Lake water temp is perfect so I’ll give it a try.
Last Oct 2019 I replaced the starter. I little tedious to do but made a tremendous difference! Don’t even use the primer bulb unless it’s been months since starting. I should have done that a long time ago. The price on EBay was really good for a new one. Thanks for offering parts for the jet boat. I may take you up on it if something else fails.
Take care and be safe during this scourge!
All the best,
Ski

Last edited: