• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1997 Sugar Sand Mirage - Mercury 120xr Sport Jet - NOT STAYING RUNNING

pierce701

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
So I recently purchased a 1997 sugar sand with the mercury 120xr Sport Jet motor in it and it will not stay running.

I have replaced the spark plugs and starter motor. The fly wheel turns freely when plugs are out (was an issue before I read somewhere to do that). Now it starts for only just a second (usually only on a little bit of starter fluid) and will not stay running. I feel like it is a fuel issue possibly. I'm not sure where the fuel pump is (if it has one) or the fuel filter (if it has one). I have read that maybe installing a primer bulb may help.

if someone could give me any advice on how to get it to stay running that would be great, thank you! (I have attached photos of the motor).

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Warning: What I know about a Sugar Sands OR a 120xr one could fit in a thimble...

You bought it recently. Has it ever run? Did you do a sea trial of it and it ran, or has it never properly run?

If that tank in the photo and the interwebs are correct, this is a 2-stroke engine. One thing I have heard about 2-strokes is that they can get to this point, then you clean the carb and they are good to go for another 4-5 years. Not even sure if you can see the crud that accumulates from the outside... But perhaps someone with a 2-stroke can weigh in and confirm/refute.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice clean motor. How old is the gasoline? As asked above, have you seen it run before? Have you tried adding Seafoam and new gas? Can you get to the carburetors and drain the bowl? Sounds like plugged jets or a stuck needle valve. A squeeze bulb will help reprime after cleaning. Is there a water separator ? I run non ethanol gas in my 1985 2-stroke 115 Yamaha and had a water issue last Summer. Draind the carbs, de-watered the inboard fuel tank, had 2 quarts of water in it, changed the water separator canister, added new fuel with Seafoam and it runs great now after a failure to launch at the ramp.

Last edited: